MWEB Uncapped & MMO Downloads

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Hi Guys

What speeds do you get when downloading either a MMO to test, or the patches associated with them? When trying to download patches for STO, I averaged between 10kB/s - 100kB/s <-- for a VERY short time.... a few seconds.

Now I'm trying to download the Age of Conan client and it bounces between 30kB/s and 120kB/s.
I'm on a 7gb download. At these speeds it's going to take an age :)D) to complete. This is on a 4mb line.

Are ALL MMO downloads heavily throttled? I really wouldn't understand the reasoning there. Yes the initial download is large, but thereafter it uses very little in the way of usage until the next patch.
I'm ultimately just checking to see whether this is localised to me, or the norm.

ingeon

I believe it`s because some MMO games uses P2P protocol thus mweb must be anti P2P

Alestorm

Expert Member
I believe it`s because some MMO games uses P2P protocol thus mweb must be anti P2P

Interesting..

The MWeb rep has asked people to PM him games that are affected by their shaping (because they use P2P for their file distribution) so that he can fix/change it. Suggest you PM him with the details.

Necuno

Court Jester
it is because AOC patch 1 file at a time from source to destination. thus you will see fluctuation in speeds and not exactly a constant speed as each file will have a starting, average/max and stopping speed. if it was one large file you would have seen more constant speed...

@igeon, aoc does not use p2p for its patcher it's a simple downloader just like getright/dap/idm/flashget that matches up the files that needs to be downloaded one at a time so that your client is updated.

Hi Guys

What speeds do you get when downloading either a MMO to test, or the patches associated with them? When trying to download patches for STO, I averaged between 10kB/s - 100kB/s <-- for a VERY short time.... a few seconds.

Now I'm trying to download the Age of Conan client and it bounces between 30kB/s and 120kB/s.
I'm on a 7gb download. At these speeds it's going to take an age :)D) to complete. This is on a 4mb line.

Are ALL MMO downloads heavily throttled? I really wouldn't understand the reasoning there. Yes the initial download is large, but thereafter it uses very little in the way of usage until the next patch.
I'm ultimately just checking to see whether this is localised to me, or the norm.

Last edited:

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Interesting..

The MWeb rep has asked people to PM him games that are affected by their shaping (because they use P2P for their file distribution) so that he can fix/change it. Suggest you PM him with the details.

it is because AOC patch 1 file at a time from source to destination. thus you will see fluctuation in speeds and not exactly a constant speed as each file will have a starting, average/max and stopping speed. if it was one large file you would have seen more constant speed...

@igeon, aoc does not use p2p for its patcher it's a simple downloader just like getright/dap/idm/flashget that matches up the files that needs to be downloaded one at a time so that your client is updated.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I'll pm MWO...