MyBB deleted all my Disqus comments

When you try and mix two types of media, you are bound to crate an explosion. Take CAR magazine and Cartoday Forum. It was not long before there was a "conflict of interest" when forum member's opinions were in contradiction to the policy of CAR magazine. Cartoday is no more.

Now look at Kevin's post quote above: "Start you own news website" and "Post in the forum". Two types of media that is in direct contradiction to each other. On the one hand you have articles on a news website that is not of the highest quality. this in itself will not attract that much attention. But then these articles are plastered all over the forum, sometimes in three different sections. If you are going to link it in a forum, you are going to get comments and criticism. If the journalistic standard was high, the criticism would be low, But as I challenged Jonathan above, he can not link one KL article of high quality, although he admits there must be maybe 3.

My prediction, if the journalistic standard of KL and BT is not going to get better, the forum will be the one that is going to die a sudden death. MyBB will protect KL and BT, and the only way to do that is to can the forum. Conflict of interest it is called.

Yep, I can't even find the good ones anymore due to the number of re-posts.

I think that MyBB would probably truly separate the main page from the forum before doing so.

I'm sorry to hear that skye, we've all been hanging in here for your next pearl of wisdom. If 'seeking attention' in your book means disagreeing with you, I'm sure you must get frustrated by all the attention-seekers you're surrounded with in your life.


Why're you so shocked? If you cut somebody, do they not bleed? This forum is ALL about freedom of speech and communication, that is the product here. If you're criticising MyBB staff and then simultaneously trying to limit their own freedom of speech on their own medium, then I think you need to open another big tin of Hypocrisy first. Tastes like winning (on the internet).
First one is a personal attack on skye.za and not his argument, which would be against the rules while contributing nothing to the conversation, yet it took up two rows on a 1080p screen.

You're confusing free speech of the individual versus the individual representing the company. Why don't you tell us who you work for? We'll link all the personal attacks etc. and ask you to be fired or we won't support that company anymore. The company would instantly get rid of you if they're smart as you are damaging their image and therefore causing their bottom line to decrease.

Go to a 6th grade economics course, all these topics are discussed.
 
Last edited:
My prediction, if the journalistic standard of KL and BT is not going to get better, the forum will be the one that is going to die a sudden death. MyBB will protect KL and BT, and the only way to do that is to can the forum. Conflict of interest it is called.

Yip, that's what I pointed out above too ... people on here don't realise how they're breaking the walls of their own glass house with the kinds of arguments they're making. I think a bigger question is "Since when were MyBB forum members the judges of 'quality content' and how much 'quality content' do they produce personally that they feel entitled to critique others' legitimate money-earning shot at it?" In my professional opinion, the quality of content on here doesn't have to be at News24 standards (not that those standards are terribly good these days) because they're not trying to be a hardcore news website to rival the Mail & Guardian: MyBB is quite satisfied to break a story reasonably early to a large audience in a manner which gets shared on social media and in the long-term builds a returning audience outside of these forums (thereby attracting advertisers). They're ticking off all of those goals, so if that's bringing in the butter for our bread here on the forums (which we enjoy for free) then more strength to them.
 
Yep, I can't even find the good ones anymore due to the number of re-posts.

I think that MyBB would probably truly separate the main page from the forum before doing so.


First one is a personal attack on skye.za and not his argument, which would be against the rules while contributing nothing to the conversation, yet it took up two rows on a 1080p screen.

Oh Johnny boy, may we all be 'attacked' so mildly online. I think you'll find that a lot of people don't mind speaking truth to bullschit, as the saying goes, and in Kevin's case that's exactly what he's doing. If you're so much in the bullschit camp that you can't see it for what it is, then there's no mutual ground to reach an understanding here.
 
Oh Johnny boy, may we all be 'attacked' so mildly online. I think you'll find that a lot of people don't mind speaking truth to bullschit, as the saying goes, and in Kevin's case that's exactly what he's doing. If you're so much in the bullschit camp that you can't see it for what it is, then there's no mutual ground to reach an understanding here.
You're completely missing the point, the rest of the post as follows:
You're confusing free speech of the individual versus the individual representing the company. Why don't you tell us who you work for? We'll link all the personal attacks etc. and ask you to be fired or we won't support that company anymore. The company would instantly get rid of you if they're smart as you are damaging their image and therefore causing their bottom line to decrease.
 
Oh I don't know about that Hamster. If you hadn't noticed, the MyBB team is putting in a lot more effort into their news section AND they've launched a magazine. They're branching out into where the real money is, and I won't be surprised if in the near future the news business overtakes the forum (especially from an advertising profitability and clicks perspective). Should that happen, RPM would have even less incentive to keep the forums up and running: the troublesome posters on here are more trouble than their entitled selves are worth.

I'm also not at all convinced that the forums generate quite as much activity as you seem to think they do. There is a relatively large number of forum members, but a *much* smaller number of active ones, and most of the posting activity is in really random threads. I was just thinking to myself today that there's been a really slim crop of articles worth commenting on: just witness people *still* chewing over that silly BMW thread because there's nothing better around. Don't you see this?
Ok.. shut down the forum, see how it goes.

It's also worth noting the rise of other forums in South Africa and that more constructive debate is happening on them. They're smaller, less controlled, forum posts are of higher quality and the MyBroadband guys know it.

Don't believe me? Have you noticed all the investment articles and posts from staff as of late (on a tech forum)?
 
Last edited:
You're completely missing the point, the rest of the post as follows:

I'm sorry Johnatan, so for you freedom of speech disappears as soon as you disagree with the sentiment expressed? It's a universal thing and matters zero whether you have a badge attached to you or not.
 
Ok.. shut down the forum, see how it goes.

Nobody is saying that needs to happen, but it's a distinct possibility if a disruptive and vocal cliche on here don't rein in their egos (or get censored into silence by MyBB). That'll be sad, I personally see a lot of value in these forums AND the news side and all I want (like Rodney King) is for us all to get along.
 
I'm sorry Johnatan, so for you freedom of speech disappears as soon as you disagree with the sentiment expressed? It's a universal thing and matters zero whether you have a badge attached to you or not.

You still have freedom of speech in your personal capacity, if he swapped to another MyBB account (taken off the uniform), he can post whatever he wants as he would not be representing MyBB. You're being quite dense about this, you're probably Kevin's clone account.
 
You still have freedom of speech in your personal capacity, if he swapped to another MyBB account (taken off the uniform), he can post whatever he wants as he would not be representing MyBB. You're being quite dense about this, you're probably Kevin's clone account.

No mate, that I'm not. Also I'm not being nearly as dense as you're pretending to be an aggrieved citizen, just because somebody who happens to be a staff member on here called out the bullschitters for their bullschit. I respect that and we need more of that in the world, which is why I contribute my little 2c to kicking the hornets nest every so often. We should never let the stupid people think they've won.
 
Since about a year ago, I visit myBB purely for the forum, and 90% of the threads I read and partake in are not linked to articles. That's because the forum community, which I find highly enriching and engaging, has almost completely divorced itself from the website which is overrun with vitriol these days. For proper SA/Africa tech journalism, techcentral and moneyweb's (tech articles) are leagues ahead. This forum is the beating heart and soul of myBB. It is the USP of the website for me.
 
Since about a year ago, I visit myBB purely for the forum, and 90% of the threads I read and partake in are not linked to articles. That's because the forum community, which I find highly enriching and engaging, has almost completely divorced itself from the website which is overrun with vitriol these days. For proper SA/Africa tech journalism, techcentral and moneyweb's (tech articles) are leagues ahead. This forum is the beating heart and soul of myBB. It is the USP of the website for me.

That's it, right there. There's no clear boundaries between the news side and the forum. Micro management and too much emotional envolvement in the forum is not healthy.
 
Back to my original issue:

My main issue is really about why previous comments for the past 22 days were removed. I mean, who gives anyone the right to do that? Some comments were part of constructive conversation that a reader won't pick up on context-wise, now that they are removed. Utterly careless.

I'm really interested to know why this went so far back and I appeal to whomever did that to retrace their steps and only have the clickbait comments removed (I couldn't care less about those anyway).
 
That's it, right there. There's no clear boundaries between the news side and the forum.

Actually there is. But with MyBB staff writers posting news articles in multiple forums, they wash the boundaries away. As I said before, what do they expect to happen? As explained to me by the powers that be, the reason they do this is to create discussion. Now, if we were all plugged into The Matrix, the comments and outcome of these discussions can be predicted. But we are not plugged in. You post it in the forum, and people from all walks of life will comment, on the technicalities of the article, the skills of the Staff Writer etc. There is no limit. If MyBB want to become draconian, they can change their TOS and say we are only allowed to post positive comments. Good luck with that.

I would suggest they segregate their news and forum by not posting news articles in the forum. But how will that end for them? Who here is going to follow KL in the real world. He is no Allister Sparks or Jonathan Shapiro.
 
This is not partner content.

I don't get why you think it should be partner content, unless you have some proof that Makro paid for that story that we don't?

Do we not have a LOT of 'how to' guides shared by MyBB members on here, or 'This is my experience of x'? Some people have gotten riled up at the Makro article because nothing bad happened and they're super-disappointed that they came with a certain negative expectation and it wasn't fulfilled (and somehow blaming their expectations onto the story's writer), but I don't see what gives them the pedestal for that. The story is informative, I (as a general reader on here interested in tech stuff) found it answered some questions I had about the process, and so what if things actually turned out well for a change (what a miracle in South Africa!)?
 
I don't get why you think it should be partner content, unless you have some proof that Makro paid for that story that we don't?

Do we not have a LOT of 'how to' guides shared by MyBB members on here, or 'This is my experience of x'? Some people have gotten riled up at the Makro article because nothing bad happened and they're super-disappointed that they came with a certain negative expectation and it wasn't fulfilled (and somehow blaming their expectations onto the story's writer), but I don't see what gives them the pedestal for that. The story is informative, I (as a general reader on here interested in tech stuff) found it answered some questions I had about the process, and so what if things actually turned out well for a change (what a miracle in South Africa!)?

I don't really mind the article, I just find the title misleading. I'd also be interested how returns are handled afterwards, do I put it back in the container? Article needed a bit more substance.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X