Nedbank and PayPal

CresS

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole online transaction game and so I'm naturally cautious when it comes to dealing with credit cards and online transactions etc.

I'm wanting to create a PayPal account but am unsure of several things (excuse my ignorance :p):

- Will I be able to link my PayPal account with my Nedbank account?

- Will I be able to transfer funds between the two (i.e. send money from my PayPal account into my bank account and vice versa)?

Again, I'm not really clued up on PayPal, particularly when it comes to dealing with SA banks, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bismuth

Expert Member
AFAIK, the only SA bank account you can link to Paypal is an FNB one.

Ofc, you can link any CC/Cheque Debit Card to Paypal, but don't think you can transfer funds to it, just the FNB account.

I think it's all to do with SA Exchange Control regulations.

B

guest2013-1

You can link PayPal with any credit or cheque card

I haven't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure only FNB has the facility to extract funds from PayPal.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Heard Capitec debit card can also link? Can I get this, wanna buy a $10 subscription every month.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
/Prepares to go to Capitec to open an account, link Paypal, and transfer funds in it.

Speedster

Executive Member
You can link you FNB PayPal account thingy to transfer the funds to any SA bank. I have mine setup with my Nedbank Savvy current account.

Bismuth

Expert Member
Heard Capitec debit card can also link? Can I get this, wanna buy a $10 subscription every month.
I have got my Capitec Mastercard Debit Card linked to Paypal, works well for the most part, except if it's seen as recurring payments, then they deny the transaction. I don't know why the don't allow it, maybe an anti-fraud (or Mastercard SecureCode) thing, but they don't. So not sure if the subscription would work, only way to know for sure is to try it. But, haven't had issues using it via Paypal or directly for other purchases.

B

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Thanks, it's not a recursive subscription though, you pay this month, if you don't have money, you don't. But anyways how the h do you set it up? Cause I tried on Paypal linking my card, and I'm being told that the billing address is not the same as the one for my card. I got a MasterCard debit card. So...

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I have FNB, but I don't have a credit card, only debit, and can't acquire a checking account. I'm not working and other complications. And linking your debit card with FNB doesn't work.

Bismuth

Expert Member
Thanks, it's not a recursive subscription though, you pay this month, if you don't have money, you don't. But anyways how the h do you set it up? Cause I tried on Paypal linking my card, and I'm being told that the billing address is not the same as the one for my card. I got a MasterCard debit card. So...
Check your Capitec statement, online if you can, see what address is used there, make sure that your billing address is the same, should work then.

B

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Check your Capitec statement, online if you can, see what address is used there, make sure that your billing address is the same, should work then.

B
Thanks but I used the rates/Municipal statement's address when I opened the account, and I am using the same thing on Paypal. But let me check on my Capitec Internet banking what they say.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Same error? I've tried 10 x verifying... No go.

Untitled-1.jpg

Any suggestions? Going to Capitec would be futile, and Paypal?

Bismuth

Expert Member
Same error? I've tried 10 x verifying... No go.

Any suggestions? Going to Capitec would be futile, and Paypal?
I am not sure, I had no issues verifying my card when I added it to Paypal, charged me the $1.95, and promptly refunded it to my Paypal balance. Maybe ask Paypal, see what they say, but my guess is that they will send you back to your bank (Capitec). Capitec introduced the Global One Mastercard with the idea that you could use it for online purchases, which you are struggling with, so I think that they should be able to help, if Paypal can't.

B

Last edited:

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Yay! Got my account verified with my Capitec debit card! Happy days! Thanks all...

dakeyras

Any credit card can be linked to paypal (have linked Absa & Nedbank at different stages). Withdrawing any money in your paypal account is a different matter however. As far as I am aware only FNB allows this.