Neotel network growth continues

rph72

Executive Member
Just checked the Cape Town coverage areas. Still the same as nearly 4 weeks ago. :(

So much for expanding coverage areas aggressively. :rolleyes:

TimTDP

Expert Member
but the company pointed out that network rollout is an expensive and time consuming exercise.

Well Neotel are either in or out! Make up your mind!
It appears that none of the Cape Peninsula is covered, so I can go back to sleep under the mountain. Someone please wake me when Neotel arrives.

RichardG

Honorary Master
The company is also using its 10.5GHz spectrum in partnership with Cambridge Broadband VectaStar to provide enterprise clients with wireless access services ranging in speed between 4Mbps and 10Mbps
Everything is for Enterprise clients, what about the end users.
i would love to see speeds like this for end users.

Tommygun

So who on this forum is using a Neotel consumer package and how do they find it? I'd be interested in a poll. How many people, where (province) & rating (value/performance)

rph72

Executive Member
Would like to know how many people, if any, have signed up in Cape Town. The coverage is very limited. Neotel have my details for longer than a year now and I am just a few meters outside their coverage area. :(

Wyzak

Expert Member
have no worries cape town folks, the coverage is just as limited in Pretora and they have supposedly been active there for months.

Alchemist

Expert Member
The coverage in Joburg hasn't changed since Neotel's initial launch, so I'm not exactly sure what on earth they doing.

Do you remember when Iburst was installing 2 base stations a week? Perhaps Neotel needs to take a similar approach

Laanie

Today as I driving through pinelands I saw Neotel workers busy on the pavements, probably laying cable or something. There were hazard stands with the Neotel logo on them with some message on it about "coming soon:

So Im sure Cape Town areas will be covered soon. Also keep in mind that they were working on a SATURDAY!

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
Nearly the most idiotic decision that NeoGhost has made so far IMO: Telkodemonopolies effectively increases the cost of its ADSL service [increased "analogue" line rental fee for ADSL and other customers], and NeoGhost actively decides not to offer WiMax to residential customers who would probably consider switching if NeoGhost was actually offering them the use of NeoGhost's WiMax service...

It seems to me like NeoGhost is hoping to make lots of money out of consumers from voice calls over CDMA2000 and an upload speed of 59kbits/s, and could care less about providing those same customers with proper broadband.

pkid

Expert Member
Consumers have been keen to see Neotel enter the residential telecoms market to bring much needed competition to Telkom, but the company pointed out that network rollout is an expensive and time consuming exercise.
Gee you don't say!! It sounds like they have just decided that it is hard so they aren't keen anymore.

What is up with the whole "We prefer users to be 1.5 to 2.5km away from the base station"?????? I thought they chose 800 mhz because it allows the signal to travel further. If everyone has to be 1.5 km away from the base station it is going to take them 100 years to roll service out to everyone!

Kilgore_Trout_Redux

Executive Member
Just checked the Cape Town coverage areas. Still the same as nearly 4 weeks ago. :(

So much for expanding coverage areas aggressively. :rolleyes:

Where can I get hold of this coverage map?

I used to be optimistic about Neotel but my wife is on maternity leave and I need to get a connection going for her to keep in touch with me at work. I've been holding out in the hope that Neotel would at least make an effort to cover Cape Town but I'll probably end up signing a two year contract with someone else.

I personally am beginning to think that they are rolling out to just enough residential areas to sound like they are doing something when in actual fact they are only interested in their enterprise offerings.

Also, what is their agreement with ICASA? Is it possible that part of their license stipulates that they roll out to a certain number of residential clients within a certain timeframe and they are only interested in meeting those requirements?

Last edited:

fingers@fingers.co.za

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Telecoms/4830.htmlNearly the most idiotic decision that NeoGhost has made so far IMO: Telkodemonopolies effectively increases the cost of its ADSL service [increased "analogue" line rental fee for ADSL and other customers], and NeoGhost actively decides not to offer WiMax to residential customers who would probably consider switching if NeoGhost was actually offering them the use of NeoGhost's WiMax service...

their spectrum for WiMAX is all wrong for consumer use. I haven't seen a single thing from them that says they're offering broadband *yet*.

the entire country is pushing them for service. who do you think in the bigger picture is more starved for bandwidth? business that runs the economy, and suffers the most from lack of competition, or a bunch of us who'd like decent pings to SGS/Gamezone/[insert your favourite games server here]

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
the entire country is pushing them for service. who do you think in the bigger picture is more starved for bandwidth? business that runs the economy, and suffers the most from lack of competition, or a bunch of us who'd like decent pings to SGS/Gamezone/[insert your favourite games server here]
I don't have any favourite online games - I'm not into online gaming, I'm sure I'm not the only person in SA that isn't into online gaming, if not then I must be really unique.
their spectrum for WiMAX is all wrong for consumer use. I haven't seen a single thing from them that says they're offering broadband *yet*.
NeoGhost has 56MHz of 3.5GHz spectrum, how is that not good enough for consumer use???

If you're suggesting that coverage is an issue, then yes, coverage will always be an issue as long as NeoGhost sits on its arse and doesn't increase its coverage - there are plenty of forumites that have been waiting a very long time for NeoGhost to provide CDMA2000 coverage in their areas, nothing seems to change as far as NeoGhost's coverage is concerned.

The least that NeoGhost could do, is to offer WiMax to consumers within NeoGhost's existing WiMax coverage footprint, instead NeoGhost says 'no, you cannot have WiMax you filthy dirty consumer, hamba, footsack!!!'.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I don't have any favourite online games - I'm not into online gaming, I'm sure I'm not the only person in SA that isn't into online gaming, if not then I must be really unique.NeoGhost has 56MHz of 3.5GHz spectrum, how is that not good enough for consumer use???
Same here - use the 'net for browsing and downloading stuff.

Kawak

Neotel is again NeverTel

I am in Kempton Park, 2 km away from the johannesburg international airport, still no signal in the area, worst thing is Nevertel call center has been saying that they will have signal here within 2 months (on the first week of launch) then its "soon" and "within months" for the past few months, until recently when i phoned and really really ***ked them out, then its "sorry we said 2 months in the beginning" and when i pressed them for definate dates its again "soon", now maybe my english is really really shocking and i have no idea what the definition of soon is?

JJCOOL

49 Base Stations in Gauteng .....

Perhaps I dont fall into their target market (Northern Suburbs). The coverage in Southern Jhb & Alberton has not changed in like 4 weeks.

Maybe I should try Vodacom Wimax - at least they have me covered.

RVFmal

Expert Member
Perhaps I dont fall into their target market (Northern Suburbs). The coverage in Southern Jhb & Alberton has not changed in like 4 weeks.
Not all of the Northern Suburbs are covered, nor does it look like we are going to be in the short term.

The responses I have been getting from Neotel are strangely similar to those I received from iBurst (and to get iBurst in our area, I STILL need an aerial and even then the signal is shocking).