Tinuva

The Magician
Yup it is easier to just stay away from Openweb, and tell all my friends and family about their shady business practices as well, so that they also stay away from Openweb, than to get Openweb to confess to the truth. Openweb will never confess to the truth, so not sure why people try to get them to do that...

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I tried them once and cancelled within 2 months. They have the worst control panel and billing system, and their cancellation policy is borderline criminal.

Chris14

Expert Member
Who of you download Torrents via OpenWeb?
Is it legal to do it? Also what is the best torrent app that one should use?

F1 Fan

Executive Member
Is MyBB trying to make OW look better than what they are? Everyone knows OW is dodgy as hell, and I don't see why MyBB is running articles for them. MrBeep had his own account right? Why can't he answer himself?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Is MyBB trying to make OW look better than what they are? Everyone knows OW is dodgy as hell, and I don't see why MyBB is running articles for them. MrBeep had his own account right? Why can't he answer himself?

These articles do not make OW look good at all. Quite the opposite.

HDS

Expert Member

Because Mr.Boop ran away with his tail between his legs when they were exposed.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Open ISP cc does not have, nor requires an ECNS / ECS license as we are not a first tier ISP, nor do we self-provide any services directly

However, as per our [previous response], we do not sell on a per account basis. We purchase capacity opposed to accounts and manage the purchased capacity as required. Our entire product offering has been created around this self-management principle.

These statements seem to contradict each other.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Well, Im assuming the intent was to help their image.

I wasn't even aware of these allegations against OW until these articles appeared on MyBB. I've always suspected they were dodgy from my dealings with them in the past and reading these Q&A's with Mr Beep only confirmed my suspicions.

F1 Fan

Executive Member
I wasn't even aware of these allegations against OW until these articles appeared on MyBB. I've always suspected they were dodgy from my dealings with them in the past and reading these Q&A's with Mr Beep only confirmed my suspicions.

Quite funny, I've been with them for 3 years, and they were once a company I raved about. Referred atleast 10 clients to them. Now I despise them, cause I feel like they cheat their customers out of their money.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Strange how it seems one minute everyone loves them and they have the best product and the next...
What changed? Or is this just another case of fickle subscribers?

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
To try and consolidate all the info, all the most recent threads are here. It is important to read through as much as possible in order to understand exactly what's been going on for years.

Official Feedback Thread - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/596701-OpenWeb-ADSL-Feedback-Thread-(Pt2)

Are OpenWeb Throttling Capped Accounts? http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/613600-Are-Openweb-throttling-capped-accounts

"Throttling is ridiculous" - Keoma Wright - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/617783-Throttling-is-ridiculous-ISP

New Home Uncapped Products From OpenWeb - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/623247-New-Home-uncapped-ADSL-products-from-OpenWeb

The Truth About OpenWeb - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/622747-The-truth-about-Openweb

OpenWeb addresses concerns: ADSL duplicate accounts, shaping, throttling - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...ns-ADSL-duplicate-accounts-shaping-throttling

Some context to this thread's article:

Simple facts:

OK, let's see if OpenWEB is an actual ISP...

1.) Is openweb an ISPA member? http://ispa.org.za/membership/list-of-members/

NO

2.) Does OpenWEB have an ECNS or ECS license?
https://www.icasa.org.za/Portals/0/Regulations/Licensees/Individual/I-ECS&ECNS-Database_0711.pdf

NO

3.) Does OpenWEB have IP address space, or an ASN (autonomous systems number)
http://www.afrinic.net/services/whois-query

NO

OpenWEB is not an ISP. They simply resell other ISP's network access.

"Unscrupulous" indeed, when the people that are supposedly throttling the internet access is simply the ISP that OpenWEB chose to buy accounts from.

Pot. Kettle. Oh wait. OpenWEB isn't even a kettle, or a pot.

Internet Solutions does not sell "raw" IPC that you can "manage as you see fit".

Conclusion would be that all the OpenWEB responses are FUD.

Reality is that they are not an ISP, and oversell accounts from upstream providers (Internet Solutions).

Will post some details on my blog in a while.

RoDent style.

TLDR summary of everything:

The answer accounts for a case of three ADSL accounts being given out, which is unheard of in the Feedback thread. It definitely wasn't discussed there in the last 6 - 12 months, and I doubt it's been discussed publicly on this forum. Nobody has ever referenced this case. It sounds made up.

The article asks the questions that people used to ask many months/years ago, when there weren't as many problems. When there was not as much doubt surrounding OpenWeb. By now, these questions are far too easy to answer. The answers given are the usual vague, neither here nor there ones. The important questions, which hold so much more weight nowadays, since the recent mass of people posting their problems and doubts on the forum, have not been asked.

The fact which really brought the cat out of the bag, with written proof, was about one person on an entry level product having the exact same username and password as their colleague, who was on a more expensive account (presumed to be Gold).

His colleague... The implications of this were massive. Account sharing. Advertised account tiers and features. Based on price and different marketing. These are some of the biggest skepticisms those curious enough have had. Confirmed. It fell on deaf ears.

So the answer's not that odd, Zenbaas. It's about an unheard of case on these forums, nothing that has been asked to be answered. It doesn't answer the important questions. It's in line with the same answers used in the past, when account sharing had been brought up on the odd occasion. One of the last answers was "A bug in the system giving out two of the same accounts because people signed up at the same time". One has no choice but to believe the CEO of their ISP.

There have literally been hundreds of people raising account sharing, and other issues, recently, and that's only on this forum. Their Facebook and Hello Peter pages are full of the exact same complaints. And this is off the forum, more evidence that an even wider spectrum of clients are being affected. There has never been so much negative attention around it all. Account sharing of course has big implications. What are its implications are on speeds, usage, shaping, authenticating, contention?

To diversify from the problem of account sharing, there are office hours problems, with shaping of 'Gold' accounts to the point basic services do not work and pages time out. This was felt by many more people over the recent public holidays and long weekends, when they were not using their office connections. I would say it was the biggest catalyst for the growing doubt and negativity.

There is no consistency with accounts and their marketing, with many reports of lesser and cheaper tier accounts outperforming Gold accounts, not having issues while people on Gold do.

There are speed problems after hours, when it's supposed to be unshaped. Add the sharing of accounts. The '08h00 - 17h00/evening' and 'downloads causing the shaper to kick in' shaper cannot cover for this.

All the authentication issues, due to accounts advertised as having one concurrent connection actually allowing two.

The shaping, like clockwork from 08h00. Nothing about being shaped dynamically when the network is busy, or by a shaper being triggered for an hour if you download.

The dishing out of new accounts to solve problems. New, and often shared, with usage history. Who does this?

And on top of it all, the lack of answers to the serious questions. Or the ever unclear and non definitive answers for everything else.

The repetition of these issues was far too widespread, and it all led to the first real mass evidence, publicly, of a seriously worrying and widespread trend.

Everything became too much for OpenWeb on this forum. Keoma / MrBEEP withdrew, and cableguy stepped in, who has quite a history, and based on similar styles, is suspected to be MrBEEP, or some sort of outlet of his. And now, as we know, OpenWeb have completely withdrawn from MyBroadband and other social media.

This was all the result of discussion and sharing of experiences on this forum, which there was so much of. Publicly, and not allowing it to be dealt with in PM or email where it was hidden. And, of course, largely due to the snowball effect of getting too comfortable and being too confident in sharing accounts without consequence. Which we know would have been the ethical way, and is the ethical way, of doing things. Which would have been the solution to solve all the constant problems of account sharing and authentication issues.

It would, of course, lower profit.

Last edited: