News server related queries

My isp has blocked ports and now I cannot use Grabit to even download from a server. My isp has even blocked peer 2 peer applications.

Is there anyway of using grabit with my current isp. I have no access to my router and how can i use grabit without crashing the network of my isp.

Crashing the network of your ISP?

Use SSL connection to your news server. They cannot block port 443.
 
Anyone been having issues with "password protected" rar files? I use newzleech to find the .nzb files and 5 of my previous files downloaded and when I try to unrar them, I have to "click an html" link for the password. Naturally I didn't, but just wanted to know if anyone else have been experiencing the same :confused:

Fortunately I've been using my WA trial account for some of it, so just wasted about a gig in total of my afrihost account.
 
Anyone been having issues with "password protected" rar files? I use newzleech to find the .nzb files and 5 of my previous files downloaded and when I try to unrar them, I have to "click an html" link for the password. Naturally I didn't, but just wanted to know if anyone else have been experiencing the same :confused:

Fortunately I've been using my WA trial account for some of it, so just wasted about a gig in total of my afrihost account.

I've grabbed two of those myself. I clikced the link, it takes you to some site where you must fill in surveys to get the password (the surveys then generate cash for the uploader) and when you extract the file there is another text file inside the password protected RAR telling you that this is a fake but at least you've helped the uploader make some cash.

It's annoying to say the least. The trick is to grab the last RAR (the smallest one) of the set and open it. If there is another big RAR in there with the html saying something about "click here for password" or "read before opening" then you know the whole thing is fake.
 
Thanks for the help at least.... the whole is a fake then because there's only 1 rar file and an html file and when I try and unrar it prompts for the password.
Ah well :rolleyes:
 
Merlin's Portal now 100% free!

http://www.merlins-portal.net/Vbulletin/showthread.php?p=500401#post500401

The entire site at Merlin's Portal is now 100% free for all NZB downloads.

It is still donation supported and there is still a limit on downloads, but all areas are all open access.

Merlin's Portal is hosted in Germany and is one of the oldest NZB sites in existence. :)

Just a plug from me as it is one of my favourite sites.

If you have problems registering let me know and I will PM Merlin for you.
 
Thanks for the help at least.... the whole is a fake then because there's only 1 rar file and an html file and when I try and unrar it prompts for the password.
Ah well :rolleyes:

Beware of the "AXXO" NZBs as well. Someone is spoofing his/her name.It's also pswd protected rubbish.:mad:
Also found that checking the poster's e-mail address. If it looks dutch - stay away. Works for me.:)
 
I've got a query.
Now that I'm in the news.telkomsa.net newsgroup, how do I search for a specific file without downloading the different groups? I'm using Grabit.
 
I've got a query.
Now that I'm in the news.telkomsa.net newsgroup, how do I search for a specific file without downloading the different groups? I'm using Grabit.

um, what? :confused:

what on earth are you trying to do?

What kind of files are you trying to download?

Who told you to go to news.telkomsa.net?
 
um, what? :confused:

what on earth are you trying to do?

What kind of files are you trying to download?

Who told you to go to news.telkomsa.net?

There's a specific iso file that I've been trying to download with local bandwidth for a while.
I pretty much learned of GrabIt and entered news.telkomsa.net as my default server.
Why? What have I done wrong? :s
 
OK, the first thing you need to do is change that address to news.saix.net
Leave it on Port 119 by default.
Don't put any username or password in.
You are using the SAIX (Telkom) backbone are you not?
Then, have you found a NZB (tracker) file for the ISO you are looking for?
When you have the NZB file you load it into Grabit and start the downloading.
 
Ah, great.
Yeah I'm on the SAIX backbone.

Just tried registering on NZBSA (I have an invitation code) but the "user limit is exceeded".
Oh well. Will try again later.

Thanks for saving my ass lol :P
 
Last edited:
If I get the NZB from the international site, is it still possible to use local bandwidth to download my iso?
 
Ah, great.
Yeah I'm on the SAIX backbone.

Just tried registering on NZBSA (I have an invitation code) but the "user limit is exceeded".
Oh well. Will try again later.

Thanks for saving my ass lol :P

It seems these clowns (nzbsa and newshost) think that if they stop people from using their site, they can stop people from downloading from the news servers and have more bandwidth for themselves.
 
What a dumb attitude. If you recall newshost had a little legal issue in the last year, so rather control the user count for safety. And when you consider that darn news servers like IS suck on uncached stuff I don't think anyone would want that kind of "super fast" action.

Also, it is a free thing. With most free things it can only handle so many users.
 
The main reason that SAIX and IS News Servers suck so bad... is that some guys found a way to hack the system to create multiple connections. So they are leeching up to 32 connections at a time and making it a pain for anyone else to get a single connection.

What can you do? Get an international News Account.
 
5 connections to IS per user account purchased. Purchase more than 1 account and you should be entitled to more. It's not exactly what one would call a "hack" as compared to an entitlement from a a product purchase.

International news account is the best though. :) You get what you pay for.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X