Notice on MTN Coverage helpdesk

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
(3) got a rude reply, so now I am moving it up a level:to Edavale, wherever that is...

Y'ello!

When i RE-READ the email i see that the original email by > From: gregory@.....co.za > Date: 2009/08/26 12:01:14 shows that the area in question where there is a problem is Edavale: Physical Street Address: ...
> * Suburb: Edenvale
> * City: 1609

If you need help rather call 083 900 1212 so that you can give the right address.

Kind regards,
Thembi Hlongwane
National Quality and Coverage Help Desk

(case # 2197754 )

--Original Message--
Date: 2009/08/31 12:53:08
To: coverage@mtn.co.za
Subject: Re: MTN Tower Fault / Overload [#2197754]

Please re-read my complaint - the area where the problem is is in
FOURWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you even look where those coordinates are?

Greg

On 31 Aug 2009, at 11:01 AM, Coverage Inbox wrote:

> Y'ello!
>
> We have two 3g towers coming up in the area T6528 Highway Garden &
> T6103 Karaglen Mall on 3G built status. I hope the problem will be
> resolve as soon both towers operational
>
> Kind regards,
> Reuben Mashele
> National Quality and Coverage Help Desk
>
> (case # 2197754 )
>
>
> --Original Message--
> From: gregory@....co.za
> Date: 2009/08/26 12:01:14
> To: coverage@mtn.co.za
> Subject: MTN Tower Fault / Overload
>
> * Subscriber name: Gregory ....
> * Mobile number experiencing the problem: All. 083 ......
> * Subscriber’s alternate contact number: None
> * Physical Street Address: .....
> * Suburb: Edenvale
> * City: 1609
> * Postal address: As above
> * Is it a voice or data problem?: both
>
> * Provide a brief description of the problem experienced:
> One of two things is happening to your tower at:
>
> S26 01.414 E27 59.363
>
>
> Either it is being overloaded (possibly by VOIP operators) or it has a
> serious fault. My parents stay very close to it and whenever they
> phone me from home I can barely hear them - the voice quality is
> shocking. Also, my father has HSDPA and his signal strength seldom
> tops -100db.
>
> * When was the problem experienced? (time of day / weather conditions,
> etc.): Almost all the time except early morning hours
> * Where is the problem experienced? (At home /when travelling (provide
> specifics of roads / intersections, etc)): Coordinates given
> * If the problem is experienced in a car, were you using a Bluetooth
> car kit? (yes / no): n/a
> * Is the problem experienced Indoors or Outdoors? Both
> * Make and model of handset / device: Any. nokia and hauwei at present
> * Any other information: this should be enough.
>

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
(4) Thembi called me. Apparently their systems do not have GPS coords. That's just silly. I explained exactly where to find the tower. We spoke for 10 minutes and he gave me an assurance that the problem will be investigated and that another tower would be upgraded to a 3G BTS within three months. It took them a week but it seems they are looking into the problem and will be taking steps to resolve it. We'll wait and see...

Terencek

Expert Member
How to report an MTN tower problem

Am I missing something here? I have been trying for three weeks now to report a serious data problem affecting ALL the users of our local MTN tower, which is STILL down for anything more than basic data.

The Helpdesk wanted to change my computer settings (Aikona!). The Coverage desk acknowledged there was a problem and said it was being attended to immediately. MWeb (through whom I have an MTN subscription) promised they would communicate with MTN immediately to get it sorted.

Three weeks on now, there is still barely any data service from our local tower (Nooitgedacht in NWP) which previously had a perfectly serviceable EDGE signal. Has MTN suddenly started downgrading its towers, or is ours simply unfixable? Or do 'fix it' orders just get lost under someone's coffee cup?

Voldemort

Death eater
Hi there

Did coverage department give you a ref number? Il check with one of my colleagues who's area this is.

Terencek

Expert Member
Hi snakepit, really appreciate you getting involved and hoping that finally something will be done! No, didn't get a reference number from Coverage, who simply thanked me for the call (this was more than a week ago), acknowledged there was a wider problem, and said they were working on it.

The tower is Nooitgedacht in NWP, which on a map is roughly between Magaliesburg and Brits. Using ggings MDMA app still shows the same -73 dB EDGE signal (pink on my Novatel card), but it just doesn't have any 'oomph'! Download speeds crawl at a painful 5 or 6 KB/s (where EDGE should of course, and has been from this tower, up to 23 or 24), and streaming audio, which was also fine for years, just buffers endlessly and eventually gives up with an 'insufficient bandwidth' warning gasp.

Obviously it's not restricted to just me, as the problems -- which began suddenly from one day to the next around three weeks ago and are definitely not the result of too many subscribers -- are affecting many of my neighbours also using MTN data. MWeb thought it was a 'backhaul' problem, someone else said latency. Whatever, it's driving us nuts! Thanks again for the help...

Last edited:

Voldemort

Death eater
Im gonna need that exact tower id, reason i askis cause you will generally find in an edge powered community that one tower serves most predominantly...I will need you to call 0839001212 and organise a reference number for this one, and dont take no for an answer, if they give you uphill for anything make a note of the agents name and pm me, il sort them out.

Terencek

Expert Member
Thankx, will try as soon as possible. As a non-free call this cost me a fortune last time, hanging on and on. Data signal even worse today going into the FOURTH week of problems, now we can barely get Internet at all -- I can't believe MTN can't simply be aware there is a problem in certain towers without users having to call in? Using gging's MDMA, just FYI here are the service messages which come up (don't know if this helps you with identification?):

2010/04/05 10:29:32, Serial Number: 800,
Message Identifier: 250, DCS: 1, Page 1/1
NOOITGEDAGHT

NOOITGEDAGHT

NOOITGEDAGHT

NOOITGEDAGHT

NOOITGEDAGHT

2010/04/05 10:29:50, Serial Number: 800,
Message Identifier: 910, DCS: 1, Page 1/1
120A: 90-0X-17-KA:350:4:59SEC-11

2010/04/05 10:29:57, Serial Number: 800,

Voldemort

Death eater
Cool, just pm me your number and il get a call logged for you then.

Il get in touch with you to hash out a couple of details that i need to enter on a mini template and send it on through. Im in the bush at the moment though so this will only be on Wednesday though...

Looney

Expert Member
MTN are useless! I called the coverage help desk, and told them that I have a VERY weak coverage in my area. Sunningdale. They logged a fault, and I applied for a "Booster" to be installed on my premises. That was in November 2009. No one has contacted me, no one has arrived to install a booster. It's like I never filed a report. Screw MTN.

Voldemort

Death eater
MTN are useless! I called the coverage help desk, and told them that I have a VERY weak coverage in my area. Sunningdale. They logged a fault, and I applied for a "Booster" to be installed on my premises. That was in November 2009. No one has contacted me, no one has arrived to install a booster. It's like I never filed a report. Screw MTN.
Hi there

Where is sunningdale? PM me your reference number and il check on the progress hereof.

Terencek

Expert Member
Snakepit: just wanted to thank you for your efforts towards resolving the runaround I got trying to report a major MTN data problem our whole area is experiencing -- now, it seems, not just from my own tower in NWP which has provided reduced data service for more than a month, but apparently from multiple towers in the whole region.

The bad news is that there seems to be no resolution in sight, and my neighbours are still struggling. Meantime to preserve both my sanity and my business, I have had to walk away, cancelling my contract prematurely with my MTN reseller, MWeb, who have agreed not to impose any penalties.

This still leaves all the other MTN customers in my area battling for connectivity, so I can only hope MTN is actually doing something to sort this out, now into the second month!

Voldemort

Death eater
Hi there

the problem has since been resolved, your patience was greatly appreciated man.

CellBel

Expert Member
So with MTN helpdesk there is no service over weekends? :mad:

Please note that our business hours are Monday to Friday 07:00 to 19:00. This department will be closed over weekends and public holidays.
Solution: VCom sim back in modem till monday. :whistling:

Update: MTN back online again.

Last edited:

Lecomfy

Mtn sucks! i think i m going to boycott anything that has it, because i dont have coverage in the area that i live in and was told by the coverage department that there is nothing that they can do......i regret ever using mtn!

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I queried mtn coverage yesterday and got a response late yesterday aswell. Seems to me that the helpdesk is working well. They had some follow up questions as they couldn't locate my physical address. I gave them my reply now, so hope my query gets answered soon.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Update: they followed up and the said they will be putting up a new site in my area that will solve my problem.

Voldemort

Death eater
Mtn sucks! i think i m going to boycott anything that has it, because i dont have coverage in the area that i live in and was told by the coverage department that there is nothing that they can do......i regret ever using mtn!
if you are in a difficult coverage area theres not much that can be done,we all work in accordance with a budget.

Update: they followed up and the said they will be putting up a new site in my area that will solve my problem.
did they mention when the site will go live?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
No they didn't but they said soon. Can you maybe check when it will go live. It will be the additional one in Pierre van Ryneveld