OFFICIAL HTC Desire Thread

Gees, that's heavy. Can't say if the fix has worked for you or not. Guess you will have to let it run a day or two and gauge the effect but 9% in half an hour (admittedly under load) is not all that flash...
 
Whooohooo!!! -. just received this mail:

"Getting Started with App Inventor

Welcome to App Inventor!
The Google account that you are receiving this email on has been given access to App Inventor. "
 
I am still being swred around by vodacrap, so i am porting to mtn to get anew phone. however in the interim, while i have been fighting, the galaxy s has come out. has some interesting features. Should I stick with the Desire or should i go with the galaxy.? I like the hd part of the galaxy, but i heard that the sense ui of the desire is better than galaxy's. anyone who has both phones?
 
I don't know if this is a general Android problem or specific to the HTC Desire, but instead of making a new thread and since I have a Desire I thought I would present my problem here for assistance.

Before updating to 2.2 my "Sync All" widget would update my Friendstream widget with my Facebook updates, but after updating it does not do so, prompting me to manually update it by pressing the little bar at the bottom. I may have set up my Facebook settings differently after updating to 2.2, but I have no idea what has changed, any help would be appreciated while I continue trying to fix it myself :)

EDIT: I can confirm that my Sync All seems to properly update the actual accounts (Facebook and Facebook for HTC Sense), so the problem is just getting it to appear in Friendstream automatically as it did before.

EDIT AGAIN: Well i googled a bit, found that deleting the Facebook for HTC Sense account and re-adding it fixes the problem, but I also accidentally deleted the normal Facebook account... but anyway re-adding the Sense one was fine but for some reason the normal facebook account gives problems... it works fine in the FB application but it doesn't show up in Accounts & Sync. And to top it all off, it still doesn't auto update in Friend Stream :) oh well, at least it saved all my contact details properly...
 
Last edited:
I am still being swred around by vodacrap, so i am porting to mtn to get anew phone. however in the interim, while i have been fighting, the galaxy s has come out. has some interesting features. Should I stick with the Desire or should i go with the galaxy.? I like the hd part of the galaxy, but i heard that the sense ui of the desire is better than galaxy's. anyone who has both phones?

Sense is like your girlfriends make up: good or bad, it is not permanent....unless you tell her it looks good, but it doesn't, and she always does in now:-P I would not depend my choice on Sense. First thing I do when I load a new rom is install Launcher Pro to replace Sense. Sense is pretty, but it feels too bulky for me. Rather choose a phone according to the specs you want, and find widgets and apps and roms to fill up where you feel it's missing.
 
I think the specs of the galaxy outweigh those of the desire. i suppose they both use android, which makes them having the same user friendliness. IS that a correct assumption? also galaxy should also get the froyo 2.2 update right?
 
Anybody got some other cool things to try and get better battery life.....?

I am quite peeved off at this now, I just want to get through 1 day with heavy load... I am currently on 40% batt. unplugged at 4:30am...
 
htc desire seems better now. mayb when the galaxy gets froyo it might be able to edge a bit better
 
Has anyone else also experienced their Desire randomly restarting itself, and sometimes getting stuck in a "loop", where it can't get past entering your pin and just restarts again. Some forums say this is a mainboard problem, but it only started happening recently after getting the update to 2.2 OTA? Any ideas?
 
doesnt sound like a froyo issue
mayb reset the phone to factory defaults n format memory card and then see
 
From what I've heard the Galaxy will be a better choice. The main thing is that as of a month or two ago HTC had to change the screen spec from AMOLED to LCD because of supply issues. The Galaxy S comes with SAMOLED, which looks amazing (and is also slightly bigger, but some people see 4" as too big). Reports on this forum also indicate the battery life is a bit better. Specwise they're similar, Galaxy S does edge it out slightly. The only reason you would get a Desire is either because you really like Sense, or you really want Froyo and only want to jump through on or two hurdles to get it.

As someone who owns a Desire I would say get the Galaxy - I love my phone, but I think the Galaxy is just a teensy bit better.
 
Reports on this forum also indicate the battery life is a bit better. Specwise they're similar, Galaxy S does edge it out slightly.

As someone who owns a Desire I would say get the Galaxy - I love my phone, but I think the Galaxy is just a teensy bit better.

The desire is great in all departments except one huge one - battery life is atrocious. And I don't care what people say about getting two days per charge - its just not possible. Car charger, charger at work, charger at home, charger hidden at the mall. Seriously get something else, even if its just for hope of better battery life.
 
Funny you should say that. I've just gone 2&1/2days on a single charge (admittedly on a relatively light load). :)

Yip. The phone has GREAT standby time. I'm sure I could get 4 days on light use. But whats the point of having a mobile device with all these features, if you need to be close to an outlet all the time. Might as well get a tablet - since mobility went out the window with the battery. And yes i manage my send-receive circuit well. Gonna try root, and see how that changes things. Thinking sense UI is a big consumer.

Having said that, I would still have bought the desire in retrospect.
 
Let me elaborate, WIFI and gmail push mail were on throughout (roughly 60 incoming mails), I made roughly 6 minutes worth of calls, sent around 40smses, browsed the net for around 30 minutes in total including 15 minutes worth of youtube, had mobile data on for around 90 minutes. Not to bad.. I have noticed that mobile data on kills about 5% of battery life every 30 minutes which is extreme. I have screen brightness running at around 75% with a 30 sec timeout but usually manually switch it off when done.

Perhaps trying running the phone on a wifi network where you can but limit the time mobile data is on and see what difference this makes to your battery life. Not ideal at all. I'm fortunate to have a wifi connection at home and at work which allows me to circumvent the need for mobile data running 24/7 and it seems to make a significant difference...
 
Battery Stats

So i've looked at my battery usage by application (*#4636#*#*).

Also under the menu is Phone info, where there is a choice to set the preferred network type. It is currently set as WCDMA preferred. Is this correct?

My thinking is that if its not correct, then the phone will constantly try to find a tower that provides CDMA instead of GSM which is what we use in SA. I have NO idea what all this means.
 
So i've looked at my battery usage by application (*#4636#*#*).

Also under the menu is Phone info, where there is a choice to set the preferred network type. It is currently set as WCDMA preferred. Is this correct?

My thinking is that if its not correct, then the phone will constantly try to find a tower that provides CDMA instead of GSM which is what we use in SA. I have NO idea what all this means.
Should be set to auto but to preserve battery life set it to GSM (2G) as this coverage is for the most part extensive where WCDM(3G) is not.
 
So i've looked at my battery usage by application (*#4636#*#*).

Also under the menu is Phone info, where there is a choice to set the preferred network type. It is currently set as WCDMA preferred. Is this correct?

My thinking is that if its not correct, then the phone will constantly try to find a tower that provides CDMA instead of GSM which is what we use in SA. I have NO idea what all this means.

That also confused me, but WCDMA=3G+. Not CDMA as in what is used by Verizon or Sprint in the States. Very confusing, not sure why they labelled it as such. Basically you can choose if you want to use 3G only, EDGE only or whatever the fastest connection around is.
 
Ok. Definitely don't want 2G - painfully slow. In fact according to a previous post Edge uses more battery than 3G. So think i'm actually going to disable edge, and stick to 3G. Thanks
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X