Official Thread: Samsung Galaxy S (I9000)

Just use the phone and find out for yourself about skype :)

I don't leave mine running all day, but I don't think it drains too much.
Also data is another concern.

Only issue I got with Skype, is that it's not allowing video calls.

But lately the latency has been so bad to Europe, that I'm thinking video would not be good.

Wish we could use Google Voice or Gtalk could at least make calls.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Just use the phone and find out for yourself about skype :)

I don't leave mine running all day, but I don't think it drains too much.
Also data is another concern.

Only issue I got with Skype, is that it's not allowing video calls.

But lately the latency has been so bad to Europe, that I'm thinking video would not be good.

Wish we could use Google Voice or Gtalk could at least make calls.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

I will charge it fully tonight and let it run tomorrow and make sure I monitor the 3G connection as won't be around my wi-fi connections so will be able to determine how much data and battery life it chews.
 
I will charge it fully tonight and let it run tomorrow and make sure I monitor the 3G connection as won't be around my wi-fi connections so will be able to determine how much data and battery life it chews.


Cool.
Just looking at my traffic info stats since the Cell C upgrade and reset on the weekend, Skype has sent 50mb up and 50mb down.




Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Cool.
Just looking at my traffic info stats since the Cell C upgrade and reset on the weekend, Skype has sent 50mb up and 50mb down.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App


That is heavy. I will test it for half day tomorrow and determine average bytes per hour.
 
Have u guys tried the Fnb connect for voice calls? 25cents around the world per minute....works quite nicely....only for Fnb customers though. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
VOODOO 5.4.1

I want to try out the Voodoo 5 SGS Improvements once we receive official Froyo after the 15th Feb. However I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help with:

1. Can I install Voodoo 5.4.1 without Rooting the phone? For example applying update.zip with Recovery Mode (as with Eclair)?
2. Is it possible to backup the stock kernel before I flash the new Voodoo Kernel (In case I want to restore the phone with the original stock kernel to the state it was before any fixes were applied)
3. If it's not possible to backup the stock kernel, where would I be able to download the RSA froyo kernel to flash back (e.g. via ODIN)?

Thanx in advance! I am also looking for an official guide / resource of ClockWorkMod, what it does and how to use it (since I never used it before and try to prevent running into any problems..) Any suggestions / links are welcome! Thanx!!
 
OKAY, my sgs is getting really slooow and irritating. Launcher pro slows down my sgs so much. I am still on eclair and i want to go to official froyo. On xda it says that i need the 3 button fix on before i should flash new firmware. however if i do the upgrade thru kies do need the 3-b fix?

secondly what back must i make of contacts? do they get wiped if i do it through kies or if i do it manually thru odin or some other 3rd party way. also does this apply to photos and videos and also games? or should i just copy everything on my sgs to hdd and put it all back?


I am not going to put a custom rom for now. i just want official froyo. I have unbranded uk EUX phone. So branding wont be a problem.

If i need to to do the 3 button fix, i will follow the heimdal method.


however I suppose my most pertinent question, is that of backing up stuff. What gets wiped in flashing rom non-kies way and the kies way?
 
Have u guys tried the Fnb connect for voice calls? 25cents around the world per minute....works quite nicely....only for Fnb customers though. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

I had problems the whole time. Wouldn't phone nicely, quality was bad, would ring but not connect to the dialed number and etc etc. I wanted to load it again when I reinstalled my firmware but I lost my password and contact number with the smses that were wiped when I fixed it.
 
@ThePhilospher

Backup all contacts with gmail.
I just flashed a custom Rom, on Froyo though, and did a wipe, but all my photos and music were still on my internal sd.

That and whatever else I'd saved on it.

To my inexperienced opinion, it didn't wipe anything besides my personal data.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
Cool.
Just looking at my traffic info stats since the Cell C upgrade and reset on the weekend, Skype has sent 50mb up and 50mb down.


Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App


Okay by just running in the background Skype used between 200 and 300KB per hour. That is not calls or anything just online standby. The range is because I also received emails and etc plus maybe used the Facebook Android app scrolling my news feed for like 3minutes. Battery performance was not that negatively affected. Hardly noticeable. I also had WhatsApp running the entire time and sent/received handful of messages.
 
Okay by just running in the background Skype used between 200 and 300KB per hour. That is not calls or anything just online standby. The range is because I also received emails and etc plus maybe used the Facebook Android app scrolling my news feed for like 3minutes. Battery performance was not that negatively affected. Hardly noticeable. I also had WhatsApp running the entire time and sent/received handful of messages.

So is that good or bad for you?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
So is that good or bad for you?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

Oh I suppose an opinion is in order. I would reckon that it is not to bad to be honest. Would not wan't it running constantly like that but when, and I do mean when, VC data prices come down it might be far more viable to let it run.
 
Oh I suppose an opinion is in order. I would reckon that it is not to bad to be honest. Would not wan't it running constantly like that but when, and I do mean when, VC data prices come down it might be far more viable to let it run.

Or move to rbm and get a proper smartphone contract.

Sent from my Galaxy S running darky's rom sent to me by little green robots from the future.
 
Or move to rbm and get a proper smartphone contract.

Sent from my Galaxy S running darky's rom sent to me by little green robots from the future.

Respect to that!
QFT!


Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App
 
I'm looking for original CSC file for Vodacom.

The file has the product code: I9000XFVJM1

Can anyone assist please by uploading it.

Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:
MODEM INFORMATION

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9579987&postcount=11945

Some VERY useful information on modems and recommendations for those experiencing battery drains, bad reception etc.

Im using the ZSJPE Modem and must admit my battery life has improved tremendously! Ive also disabled many services and applications which are not applicable to me and this further enhances battery life.
 
Installed the test release of CyanogenMod 7 for Samsung Galaxy S http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940095 last night.

Went without any problems. Maybe I expected to much, but performance wise for me there not a big difference between this and one of the custom roms + custom kernel. Hopefully that will improve the closer it gets to final release. But will be playing around with it for the next week or so.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X