OnePlus Nord

gottagoon

Expert Member
There are no excuses for a phone to break or crack with the bend test anymore. If Nokia could get it right with their cheapest phone, the Nokia1, why can other manufacturers not do the same with more expensive phones?

Even the Nokia1 direct competitor, the Redmi Go, broke in half with the bend test at the end of the video below:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Well a lot has been said about the balance of the package that the Nord brings.

Looks like the 765G is a bit of a donkey when there's heavy lifting to be done. I wonder whether the Nord would have been better served by a 8 series chip as opposed to the plethora of pretty mediocre camera lenses and the 12gb of ram currently on the top end model?

I'm not sure how significant the price difference between the 765G and 855/865 snapdragons is?

UFS 2.1 as well and suddenly the Nord strikes me as a a bit of a performance lightweight...

genetic

Honorary Master
The Nord is a bit of a disappointment. The good news is that the OnePlus 8 isn't that badly priced now, and with the 8T around the corner - the 8 will come down further in price.

Sensorei

Executive Member
This sort of result puts me off the 765G....

Not just the 765G... The A13 processor in the iPhone SE is more powerful than the SD 865 in all the current Android flagships. A13 processing power is completely overkill for the majority of folks.

If you look at how insanely fast even last year's OnePlus 7 Pro is, and then see that the A13 is 50% more powerful, it kind of puts things in perspective.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Not just the 765G... The A13 processor in the iPhone SE is more powerful than the SD 865 in all the current Android flagships. A13 processing power is completely overkill for the majority of folks.

If you look at how insanely fast even last year's OnePlus 7 Pro is, and then see that the A13 is 50% more powerful, it kind of puts things in perspective.
Look, the A13 is an absolute beast, no question!! But even against the 865 powered OP8 the Nord is woefully out performed. Just not a very compelling sell for me on further scrutiny.

There question marks re its structural integrity (although it is not uncommon for plastic phones to crack under duress). The macro lens and depth sensor are mediocre at best and actually bordering on poor, 765G in isolation is a good chip but pitted against 8 series or A13, is clearly lacking.

Yeah, it's a sub $500 device but have OP got the balance right? On first impression, I thought so, but not so convinced any longer...

Sensorei

Executive Member
Yeah, I doubt that...

Like he said, he using his own benchmark test suite. Not exactly reliable compared to Geekbench and Antutu.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro. iPhone SE2 beats even Galaxy S20 Ultra in most speed tests, but obviously there is far more to look at when choosing a phone than processing speed.

Sensorei

Executive Member
in isolation is a good chip but pitted against 8 series or A13, is clearly lacking.
Totally. The main camera is pretty decent though. It really boils down to how overpriced 'midranged' phones are. The big brands don't exactly have much better to offer under $500.

genetic

Honorary Master
Like he said, he using his own benchmark test suite. Not exactly reliable compared to Geekbench and Antutu.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro. iPhone SE2 beats even Galaxy S20 Ultra in most speed tests, but obviously there is far more to look at when choosing a phone than processing speed.
The 865 beats the A13 in Antutu, and is slightly outperformed in Geekbench.

For Geekbench 5 single-core the QRD yields a score of around 935, compared to around 1330 for the iPhone 11. This means that a single core, on its own, of the A13 still offers better performance than a single core in the Snapdragon 865. But when you use all of the CPU performance available, then the Snapdragon 865 scores 3,450 for Geekbench 5 multi-core, compared to 3,480 of the iPhone 11. Meaning that, while Geekbench doesn’t say that the Snapdragon 865 can beat the A13, it clearly shows that they are now neck-and-neck.

The 865 is faster in every benchmark other than Geekbench.

That said, the gains are marginal either way- they're pretty much on-par.

The 765G however, is even slower than the old 845 from 2018. For $500 you can get much better and faster phones than the Nord.

sand_man

Honorary Master
It's a game of give and take. Balance is crucial. So what the SE2 has over its competitors? A13 and decent single lens camera setup. Where it falls short? Archaic screen and ridiculously low battery capacity! The design cues, although familiar, are nauseatingly outdated.

If the SE2 had managed a slightly bigger battery with an edge to edge display, similar to what we've seen on the X up, they would have an absolute winner!! Still a damn decent package for anyone who is comfortable with 4.7" and a home button (and there a bucket load of users who are).

But then we need to ask the question, would you prefer an edge to edge screen with a A10 CPU? Or the current screen with the A13 CPU? It's not so clear cut, asked like that? I would say edge to edge screen and A10, cause the A10 is still plenty powerful! The 765G however, is a bit of a enigma... Not quite the performer we'd been hoping for...

Sensorei

Executive Member
The 865 is faster in every benchmark other than Geekbench.
Nope. In your article above from Android Authority the dude tests an SD 865 vs iPhone 11 Pro Max and the iPhone wins overall. Same thing when he tested the iPhone SE vs Galaxy S20 Ultra. iPhone just won. Samsung's optimisation of the 865 sucks. Some Antutu results show the A13 beating the S20 range. But, like you said gains are marginal either way. If he'd used a OnePlus 8 the 865 would have won.
[/QUOTE]
The 765G however, is even slower than the old 845 from 2018. For $500 you can get much better and faster phones than the Nord.
Yes, the 845 was no slouch, yet was still far more expensive to manufacture than the 765G. What midrange current generation phones offer better performance and value than the Nord for $499?

Of course a OnePlus 7T or S10 gives more for the money at $500 but thats a different segment and old generation.

Sensorei

Executive Member
Pixel 4a rumoured at $350 on Dave2D on YouTube.
That's a good price, but that's the non-5G version apparently. 5G version will be about the same price as the Nord. Will have a better rear camera than the Nord, despite only having one. Nord will be a bit faster (765G vs 730G), and the Nord's base model has more RAM and storage. But for about R3000 cheaper it'll do well.

wtg

notinterested

I got my OnePlus 8 last month from Aliexpress for 11k. So look at alternatives before buying the Nord at around this price
I've been looking at the 8 pro prices on aliexpress and they are really good. Never bought from them though. Are the phones legit?