Pastel Software and Windows 10 Compatability

pinkscorpio68

Greetings

With computers around all, most ready to automatically upgrade to Windows 10, is the Pastel Software going to run? I have 1 workstation with Pastel on our office, for now I have disabled Windows Update until I know for sure Pastel will run.

I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet and phoning the Pastel support center, you hold on for ever and when I did get through, the lady had no answer. I have also emailed support at Pastel and still waiting for a reply

The rest of the software in the office I have found updated versions that are Windows 10 ready, just concerned about Pastel.

Dark Agent

Expert Member
Greetings

With computers around all, most ready to automatically upgrade to Windows 10, is the Pastel Software going to run? I have 1 workstation with Pastel on our office, for now I have disabled Windows Update until I know for sure Pastel will run.

I haven't been able to find anything on the Internet and phoning the Pastel support center, you hold on for ever and when I did get through, the lady had no answer. I have also emailed support at Pastel and still waiting for a reply

The rest of the software in the office I have found updated versions that are Windows 10 ready, just concerned about Pastel.
Pastel 5 never ran on windows 7, solution was virtualbox. Created a virtual machine with xp and running the entire pastel 5 on xp.

But if you currently running pastel on windows 7 and above it will work on windows 10.
Pastel 2012 and above runs on windows 10 since I lately tested it. The best is to spawn a vm and test it.

pinkscorpio68

Pastel 5 never ran on windows 7, solution was virtualbox. Created a virtual machine with xp and running the entire pastel 5 on xp.

But if you currently running pastel on windows 7 and above it will work on windows 10.
Pastel 2012 and above runs on windows 10 since I lately tested it. The best is to spawn a vm and test it.
I use VMs and never gave it thought, my bad, lol. However, I am not sure if the end-user is going to like that option. I'll play with the VM and decide accordingly. We are currently on Windows 7. Thank you for your input.

whatnot

Pastel 2012 and above runs on windows 10 since I lately tested it.
There were issues with moving from win7 > win8.1. Some registry edit fixed it though.

pinkscorpio68

I got a reply from Pastel:

We apologise for the delayed response.

Kindly be advised that we have not fully tested the Windows V10 operating system with Pastel hence we are not in a position to advise fully.

We however, recommend that you consult with your IT technician to do a system backup before you upgrade or update to the Windows 10 update. Also ensure you have valid backups for your Pastel data before upgrading your Windows.

We also recommend that Pervasive V10 be used with Pastel if you are using any operating system higher than Windows 7 or later. If you are therefore licensed for lower version of Pervasive; contact the sales team for an upgrade to Pervasive V10.

Last edited:

pinkscorpio68

So, conveniently, my Notebook decided this morning to not boot up, stuck in loop in Repair mode, after 2 hours I decided, ____ that, and proceeded to install a Beta Windows 10 copy.

I will be installing Pastel to the Notebook and give feedback here for you guys :)

pinkscorpio68

I've been trying for about an hour now, but it freezes on Pervasive setup. So for now, no luck.

Screenshot 2015-07-30 13.26.25.png

I phoned Pastel, requesting the latest Pervasive, I am to Upgrade to the latest Pastel product for R3000 something odd Rand. I told them for that price for a product we use twice a year, does not warrant the upgrade, we will leave that workstation on Windows 7.

If I can find someone who can borrow us a copy just to install a newer version of Pervasive, I will give feedback.

signates

Executive Member
Any luck getting Pastel working on Windows 10?

I am using it currently with the Technical Preview. Haven't updated to the latest Windows 10 yet. It has been working without any issues. I'm also using pastel payroll 5in1 also without any issues for the past 5 months.

Should work time with 10. Should be upgrading over the weekend.

signates

Executive Member
I've been trying for about an hour now, but it freezes on Pervasive setup. So for now, no luck.

View attachment 239372

I phoned Pastel, requesting the latest Pervasive, I am to Upgrade to the latest Pastel product for R3000 something odd Rand. I told them for that price for a product we use twice a year, does not warrant the upgrade, we will leave that workstation on Windows 7.

If I can find someone who can borrow us a copy just to install a newer version of Pervasive, I will give feedback.

Pervasive v10 should be on the pastel CD, unless you have a very old pastel version. If there is no pervasive when doing a clean install of pastel, it will install the v9.6. Not sure of the size of pervasive 10 bit I could upload it to my OneDrive for you if its not too big. Not in the office right now.

pinkscorpio68

Thanks for the offer, signates. We have Pastel Express 2009. I viewed the contents of the media and found Pervasive 10. I installed Pervasive.SQL 10.13 Workgroup for Windows, I noticed it wanted to install an old version of Java, I cancelled that and installed the latest Java from the Internet. I then installed Pastel from the media, which then installed without hiccup.

I ran Pastel, set it up in Demo mode as I don't want to interfere with the licensing just yet. The Pastel geek will be in tomorrow to test and check that all the functions work as should. If all works well, I can let that workstation upgrade to Windows 10 :)

pinkscorpio68

Right, our resident Pastel guru has tested all the functions on Pastel Xpress 2009 on Windows 10 Pro with Pervasive 10 installed.

All functions appear to be working as expected, no funnies to report :)

Any version of Pastel after 2009 should work without incident.

krono9

also running multiple versions of pastel all are fine on Windows 10.

DearHeart

Expert Member
Just in case someone still has a problem, here's my story. Upgraded from Windows 8.1 and the Pastel v 12 seems to have lost all the companies and couldn't find the server. I followed this advice which was for 8.1 but still applicable to 10. Bottom line, run Pastel as administrator and re-select the server and company.

MR V

Just in case someone still has a problem, here's my story. Upgraded from Windows 8.1 and the Pastel v 12 seems to have lost all the companies and couldn't find the server. I followed this advice which was for 8.1 but still applicable to 10. Bottom line, run Pastel as administrator and re-select the server and company.
Thanks, worked like a charm