[Personal Experiences] Hisense TV's

jones123

I run my xbox through the avr to the tv.
When I enable hdmi enhanced, it makes the xbox look like poop.
Can you be a bit more specific ?
Poop = ?

And if you connect Xbox direct to the TV how does it look ?

What's the output resolution from the avr and Xbox set to ?

Not familiar with Xbox . Is it 4k output ?
Does your avr pass through picture or is it upscaling or downscaling the picture.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Poop = ?

Does your avr pass through picture or is it upscaling or downscaling the picture.
Xbox One S upscales to 4k while the X is 4k. The normal Xbox one would technically will be upscaled by the TV.

RaeesD

No, your ebucks level gives you up to 40% off on items in the ebucks store.
Only if you pay in eBucks? You are undervaluing your eBucks; 40% discount should be a given when you're spending them (wasteful otherwise) so they're actually worth 16.67c/eB. The "discounted" Rand price is just there to fool you.

squirrel

Expert Member
Any recommendations on a budget 40" Hisense? Looking at the Hisense N43B6000 43" FHD Smart TV for R4,068 from Loot

Last edited:

GrantS46

1. Upscaling to 4k happens automatically regardless of input resolution. There is no setting. The quality is dependent on the input signal.

2. DStv quality is dependent on the stream from multichoice and your line. speed.

3.dolby vision and HDR is automatic when it receives the correct source.
You do however have to enable hdmi enhanced if you using external source.

Hopes this helps.
Hi Jones123, thank you for clearing this up. It still would be great if there was a small popup/notification to inform us if Dolby Vision/Atom is being used.
Getting back to Dstv, I'm streaming it off a 20mb line and playing it at 1080p and then upscalled to 4K as per your post. However the quality is still very bad. It's like watching a 480p movie

jones123

Getting back to Dstv, I'm streaming it off a 20mb line and playing it at 1080p and then upscalled to 4K as per your post. However the quality is still very bad. It's like watching a 480p movie
maybe @Hisense SA can help.
possibly app issue

but bear in mind dstv now does throttle output regardless of what you chose as quality. they do this to prevent crashes like during the world cup.
we are all still at their mercy

also is it hardwired via lan or wifi ?
if wifi check your signal strength

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hi Jones123, thank you for clearing this up. It still would be great if there was a small popup/notification to inform us if Dolby Vision/Atom is being used.
Ah so not actual DSTV through the decoder, as I was going to say my decoder doesn't look to bad through my 58"

nX3lemZ

maybe @Hisense SA can help.
possibly app issue

but bear in mind dstv now does throttle output regardless of what you chose as quality. they do this to prevent crashes like during the world cup.
we are all still at their mercy

also is it hardwired via lan or wifi ?
if wifi check your signal strength
DSTV NOW app is hit or miss, some games you get really good quality 1080p for sure. Other times it says 1080p but as you confirm it's more like 480p.

This is a problem with dstv now in general. However the Q8600 (I have the 65 inch version) doesn't have a Samsung quality processor so it is a bit soft. Soft in upscaling and extracting fine detail. I have decided to get a 4K bluray player because even my FHD bluray player upscales much better than the TV.

With that said, when you feed this TV 4K content using a high quality player like PC or bluray the quality is impeccable!

One thing I'd add is that the native Netflix app is great it gets super clear with very good detail especially for DV content. Try out stranger things.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Bought the Q8600 from Allincluded.
DSTV NOW app is hit or miss, some games you get really good quality 1080p for sure. Other times it says 1080p but as you confirm it's more like 480p.

This is a problem with dstv now in general. However the Q8600 (I have the 65 inch version) doesn't have a Samsung quality processor so it is a bit soft. Soft in upscaling and extracting fine detail. I have decided to get a 4K bluray player because even my FHD bluray player upscales much better than the TV.

With that said, when you feed this TV 4K content using a high quality player like PC or bluray the quality is impeccable!

One thing I'd add is that the native Netflix app is great it gets super clear with very good detail especially for DV content. Try out stranger things.
Just bought the 65" Q8600. How is remote, I seem to be getting mixed reviews in terms of its spec. Is remote capable of voice commands for Goggle assistant/Alexa?

GrantS46

Ah so not actual DSTV through the decoder, as I was going to say my decoder doesn't look to bad through my 58"
Bought the Q8600 from Allincluded.

Just bought the 65" Q8600. How is remote, I seem to be getting mixed reviews in terms of its spec. Is remote capable of voice commands for Goggle assistant/Alexa?
The American version of the Q8600 called the H9f is an Android TV. As a result the H9f does have voice commands and commands are spoken into the remote. The Q8600 on the other hand doesn't have this feature.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member

My DSTV Now volume is terrible. Have to set volume to 90+ to hear it properly but everything else is at 30-35 :ROFL:

GrantS46

In terms of upscalling is there a noticible difference between the Samsung Q60r and the Hisense Q8600?

PAYBACK

Expert Member
The American version of the Q8600 called the H9f is an Android TV. As a result the H9f does have voice commands and commands are spoken into the remote. The Q8600 on the other hand doesn't have this feature.
Thanks. I think. So local version is watered down version on US unit :unsure:

jones123

+1
feed this tv great content and it truly shines !

GrantS46

+1
feed this tv great content and it truly shines !
100% Jones123 but that means getting premium Netflix account (4k content) and watching Blu Ray videos to get the best out of the TV. For all the things that get upscaled it's an average TV I rate.

PokerMon

Also bought the 55q8600 over the weekend. Still trying to get the right picture settings. Anyway have a good guide?

Also, is it normal for the menu screens on the TV to judder as you scroll through the menus? Seems as TV does not have enough memory.

GrantS46

Also bought the 55q8600 over the weekend. Still trying to get the right picture settings. Anyway have a good guide?

Also, is it normal for the menu screens on the TV to judder as you scroll through the menus? Seems as TV does not have enough memory.
Also looking for quality picture settings? With regards to the judder, mine certainly doesn't do it. Menus a bit slow but they are smooth

e4et

Expert Member
Poop = ?

Poop, like in the picture is fuzzy and jittery. If that makes sense, not sure how to describe it.
The xbox is set to output 4k and the avr is set to not do any processing on the image, just to pass it through and handles only the audio.
So my assumption is that the signal coming from the xbox would be 4k@60 going straight to the TV.

I will connect the xbox straight to the television and see if that makes a difference.

Pseudonym

Poop, like in the picture is fuzzy and jittery. If that makes sense, not sure how to describe it.
The xbox is set to output 4k and the avr is set to not do any processing on the image, just to pass it through and handles only the audio.
So my assumption is that the signal coming from the xbox would be 4k@60 going straight to the TV.

I will connect the xbox straight to the television and see if that makes a difference.
Fuzzy and juddery sounds like motion smoothing is on (it sucks). Sometimes it says it's off but it isn't so turn it on and off again to see.