Please help me decide

Lindabro

Hello Broadbanders,
I do not use my cellphone for selfies or photos so camera is not important.
I use my cell for Work email, Microsoft Team Meetings (Previously Skype for Business), WhatsApp and obviously making calls.
I currently have a Samsung S9 and am due for an upgrade.
What cellphone would you recommend?
I am overwhelmed with all the new offerings and do not want to spend a fortune on a cell that has functionality/features I will never use.
Thank you in advance, Linda

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Thank you so much for your prompt response. Really appreciate the advice.
I have the Note 10+
It replaced my Note 8
It replaced my Note 4

I still use my Note 4 .... it was just so awesome

The S9 too .... is just so awesome ;)

Daruk

Honorary Master
Hello Broadbanders,
I do not use my cellphone for selfies or photos so camera is not important.
I use my cell for Work email, Microsoft Team Meetings (Previously Skype for Business), WhatsApp and obviously making calls.
I currently have a Samsung S9 and am due for an upgrade.
What cellphone would you recommend?
I am overwhelmed with all the new offerings and do not want to spend a fortune on a cell that has functionality/features I will never use.
Thank you in advance, Linda
Keep the S9, replace the battery.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Get an iPhone SE (or 11 if budget allows) and don't worry about upgrading it for a 3-4 years. Once there trade it in for a new model and get a discount.

I will now hide.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Thank you, but I do not see an Apple product of any sort in my future. ;)
:ROFL:

To be honest, I have only had one Apple product - an iPad 3.

Admittedly, it was fantastic and worked alot better in the US than in SA in terms of functionality, but it lasted and never died. It was replaced by the Samsung Phablet ..... and I have just gone that route till now.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Thank you, but I do not see an Apple product of any sort in my future. ;)
That is a shame, you can only really understand when you have used an iphone for a while how good they are.
I was the world's biggest Android fanboy when it was new, heck I even had the Google G1.
I rooted and rommed and did all of the things you do to try keep them running well but they always ended up slowing down and doing random annoying things.
One upgrade I decided to get an iphone, since then I have only bought them and will continue to do so.

Iphones dont get slow, the build quality is miles ahead of anything else out there and they hold their value substantially better than any other brand.
These days I get mine on 3 year contracts, after 2 years the phone is still like new and not worth upgrading but 3 years is about the sweet spot.

Lindabro

I am prepared to reconsider and look at an Apple as others have PM'd also saying they changed to Apple and are super happy. Which phone would you recommend?

Mux

I was an iPhone supporter as well until the iPhone 5S then I switched to Samsung. Currently the S8 and my wife S9. Never been happier. Awesome phones.

IssiAmd

I upgraded last year from s8 to p30 pro
Mostly because the s8 screen cracked and was prohibitively expensive to replace.

The biggest difference for me has been battery life and super charging. The s8 battery life was dreadful so the difference is even more pronounced.

Phone upgrades are very incremental these days. A flagship should be good for 3 years easy, perhaps a battery change at some point. Mid rangers seem to be improving every day.
The only thing I would consider upgrading for right ght now is 5g.

Corelli

Expert Member
Keep it and go on prepaid. Or look at the Telkom Family contracts.

I had an S6 now a Note 8.

Still happy with it, great photos etc.

Best part. I spend maybe R50 a month on cellphone. Most are purely wifi. I even use WhatsApp calls

This beats paying R700pm for a new phone.

Keep the S9

Corelli

Expert Member
Only go Apple if you have a car with Apple Car Play. The Samsung S9 and upwards still knock the socks off the iPhone. If you were a Nokia fan you would go Apple, especially if you use Apple TV and Macbooks etc.

But its so much easier to put in a huge memory card and use your phone for music player, photos etc.

Maybe try some new photo tool apps instead.

Corelli

Expert Member
The Notes are the nicest. Note 8-10

I wouldn't go back.

The Note 9-10 you can use the S-Pen as a remote shutter for taking photos. That's neat.