Potch gets Rain 5G before bigger cities

MEG101

I will not touch Rain with a ten foot pole even if the service is completely free. Oversubscribed network - you will see how soon the network capacity in Potch fills up...then it is slow as hell like the 4G we have experienced in small towns. I cancelled because I could not even send a whatsapp without waiting like forever... Good luck Potch!!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I will not touch Rain with a ten foot pole even if the service is completely free. Oversubscribed network - you will see how soon the network capacity in Potch fills up...then it is slow as hell like the 4G we have experienced in small towns. I cancelled because I could not even send a whatsapp without waiting like forever... Good luck Potch!!
This is 5G...

chrisc

Executive Member
Yes, but does it work?
Friend in Cape Town is well within the 5G coverage area, has an external LTE antenna but the service stops and starts at random.
In the times he has managed to get hold of someone at RAIN, they blame it on tower trouble, telling him to use a different tower (he has no clue how to do this), it is temporary, his equipment is at fault, he has too many devices connected (yes, one PC)
When it does work, it is fine. But it cannot be relied on. In a 7 day period there will be 20 interruptions

Louis72

Expert Member
I feel sorry for the people in Potchefstroom, this is going to end in tears.
All those students on a budget. They saw the opportunity. But also those students can be real heavy users. One 5G modem for a whole house blasting torrents day in and out.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Rain cannot survive with the bandwidth requirements of bigger cities.
Maybe if they stick to supplying LTE to small towns instead of selling more contracts to more people in cities than their infrastructure can handle, they would actually be able to provide a half decent service.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Potch has 5g before and bedarsdorps has fibre before me, soon timbaktoe will have fibre and 5g, and il still have nothing lol

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Rain cannot survive with the bandwidth requirements of bigger cities.
Maybe if they stick to supplying LTE to small towns instead of selling more contracts to more people in cities than their infrastructure can handle, they would actually be able to provide a half decent service.
Rain cannot even manage to provide stable LTE in small towns.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Potch has 5g before and bedarsdorps has fibre before me, soon timbaktoe will have fibre and 5g, and il still have nothing lol
supply and demand, I'm guessing but your area had no demand for them to not roll out fibre or upgrade towers in your area.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
supply and demand, I'm guessing but your area had no demand for them to not roll out fibre or upgrade towers in your area.
Demand is here, but avg property size area is 6000SQM, low density.

I kinda do have 5g rain coverage, just not offically but it does work when you put the router in the roof. Il probably switch and make it my main connection once loadshedding is done. 5g tower has no backup battery system

Last edited:

MEG101

All those students on a budget. They saw the opportunity. But also those students can be real heavy users. One 5G modem for a whole house blasting torrents day in and out.
Yes and since it is uncapped at average speed of 200/200 - they usage will soon add up to lots of TB's per month. I see that one student will get this service and share with the whole house and everyone gives a few rand towards the bill. I hope Rain has sufficient capacity to supply to heavy demand. We all know how bandwidth hungry students can be...

MEG101

Rain cannot even manage to provide stable LTE in small towns.
The exact reason I cancelled my 4G and moved to 40mbps PureDSL - it has been a blissful experience. Internet that actually works without any limitations of speed and usage restrictions.

garyc

Expert Member
Interesting that they have excluded the university from coverage in what is a university town.

SuperMario

Happy with my Rain 5G - Indoor Router:
7594395973.png

Zukat

Expert Member
Torrents are speed capped on Rain 5G though