Pre paid sim, buy data bundles for iPad

bigboy529

Expert Member
Hi
I'm looking to get a iPad. I will be using it on wifi at home 95% of the time so it's not worth getting a data contract because it will be a waist of data.
I was thinking best would be to get a pre paid Cell C sim and to just buy data bundles for the times I'm away from wifi.
Just want to confirm a few things.
1. Do I buy a normal pre paid Cell C micro sim, or do they have a spesific data only pre paid sim?
2. On this pre paid sim, will I still pay 15 c per MB in bundle, and how much will I pay out of bundle when the bundle runs out?
3. Do I at all have to buy bundles, some places they advertise in and out of bundle rates as 15 c per MB, so if I don't buy a bundle in the first place, would I be paying 15 c per MB or is the 15 c per MB out of bundle only if you had a data bundle which ran out?

sajunky

Honorary Master
The are right, but they are wrong...
True: in bundle 15c/MB
True: out of bundle is 15c/MB but only for duration of the bundle, it is 30 days from purchasing bundle. After that it reverts to 999c/MB.
They are right, but not saying full truth.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Cool sounds as if it will work for me, then I'll only buy a data bundle when ever I go away for a weekend or whatever and be sure to use up the data in the 30 days.
Just another question, will pre paid airtime on a pre paid sim expire after 30 days like the data bundles? I know a sim card will expire when not used for 90 days but will the airtime on the sim expire after lets say 30 days?

bigboy529

Expert Member
and what about the question of the sim card, do I buy a normal prepaid sim or do they have a spesific data sim?

sajunky

Honorary Master
Just another question, will pre paid airtime on a pre paid sim expire after 30 days like the data bundles? I know a sim card will expire when not used for 90 days but will the airtime on the sim expire after lets say 30 days?
This is a problem with Cell C I had two years ago. Airtime do not expire, but it has certain validity period (rather call it network access period). After this period you cannot use this airtime, unless you recharge again, it will extend network access period.