Rain and storm for Cpt

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
After a long dry spell, a little drizzle brings up the oil and makes the road extra slippery. Also hard to see anything if your car is dirty from the SE wind.
yes i know and i feel it on my motorbike, it is very slippery but you dont see me having accidents
car drivers are absolutely useless in the rain :ROFL:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Small fire on Table Mountain started just before 3pm, to right of lower Cable Station above Kloof Nek. Warm with moderate wind. Two choppers with buckets active in last 15 mins.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
No rain yet, but a coastal low has brought a change in wind direction, with strong north-westerly gusts during the early hours of this morning (Sun 16th). Doors and windows banging where they were left open overnight.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
would be great if it rains a little tonight as i am loadshedding 10pm onwards and then again 4am tomorrow morning so my bedroom fan will be on the blink during those hrs

air

Expert Member
Small fire on Table Mountain started just before 3pm, to right of lower Cable Station above Kloof Nek. Warm with moderate wind. Two choppers with buckets active in last 15 mins.
We braaied yesterday and had a wonderful view of these talented pilots in action. Was pretty loud, but all sorted fairly quickly. We counted 2 yellow, 1 white and 1 red heli doing their thing. Counting was finished before Moscow Mules did their job proper. :)

noxibox

Honorary Master
madness this morning
took me 61min to get to work on my bike
amazing how a little drizzle causes dozens of accidents
cape tonians are the worst drivers ever
:mad:
Comes from being slow and hesitant (aka nervous) drivers. Although they're not actually the worst in South Africa.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Nice and grey, today. Doesn't look like it's going to last. Back to summer tomorrow and the days that follow :(

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I'm not sure which is more inaccurate, recent yr.no forecasts, or this article explaining 'why'. Both should not be taken literally:
And, they could add to that article, the model used by most of these international apps also drives the CC lot's predictions about Climate Change ----- :eek: :ROFL:

calypso

Expert Member
I'm not sure which is more inaccurate, recent yr.no forecasts, or this article explaining 'why'. Both should not be taken literally:
I actaully brought this up with them. They didnt seem too bothered and stated they were using the international data.

Google default and DarkSky seems to be working well for me.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The basic problem with all temperature forecasts for Cape Town is that it is effectively an 'island' surrounded on 3 sides by ocean. Varying wind directions and water/land interactions make things complicated. No model is ever right all of the time, and some common sense goes a long way.

Nice burst of rain in Kenilworth between 2.30 and 3pm, but probably not more than 1-2mm in total.

Azg

Expert Member
I agree that SAWS and AccuWeather are more accurate for Cape Town weather. Not too sure why SAWS still don't have an app.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I agree that SAWS and AccuWeather are more accurate for Cape Town weather. Not too sure why SAWS still don't have an app.
They are trying to make money out of their services. There are quite a few paid services available, which will be presumably compromised if they have an App. SAWS can only operate correctly IF their funding is secured.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Yr.no is good for some things, like predicting the arrival time of cold-fronts. Every forecast has pros and cons. None ever captures the real weather.

Azg

Expert Member
They are tryingvto make money out of their services. There are quite a few paid services available, which will be presumably compromised if they have an App. SAWS can only operate correctly IF their funding is secured.
I wasn't searching hard enough. SAWS has an app:
It does not display well on my Samsung phone

access

Honorary Master
what happened to the story a while ago about getting weather anywhere else but from saws was going to be illegal

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
what happened to the story a while ago about getting weather anywhere else but from saws was going to be illegal
It was a 'joke', like many of the laws that are impossible to enforce, and dreamed up by idiots with no idea how the real world works.

access

Honorary Master
It was a 'joke', like many of the laws that are impossible to enforce, and dreamed up by idiots with no idea how the real world works.
lol. well this is true, but they still make stupid laws. so this just fizzled out then?