Rain connected to wrong tower

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
I have been a customer since last year June, where I used to get 20Mbps. Since April I have been getting sub 1Mbps and on the odd occasion 2Mbps.
I have the same issue of the tower with best line of sight dropping my connection every single night and then not being able to connect until about 7am in the morning.
The Rain team, if they respond, do so after like 3 weeks and multiple escalations, then they will just copy-paste the same response about telling you to reboot and move the router around.
When you tell them for the umpteenth time that you have tried that then they say, their networks team is investigating, but honestly they will do nothing for you after that to resolve your problem.

I don't even think they have a networks team for the 4G service and only employ low level support people.
The network is probably managed by Vodacom or other networks since many of the towers I am picking up are Vodacom towers.
Vodacom probably prioritises its own traffic hence Rains hands being tied to do anything as it is not their own infrastructure.
Hi Kabusi,

I apologies profusely for your connection experience.

Please PM me your email address linked to your rain profile so i can follow up on your queries.

kabusi

Expert Member
Hi Kabusi,

I apologies profusely for your connection experience.

Please PM me your email address linked to your rain profile so i can follow up on your queries.
I have sent the pm.
Keen to see what they do differently since they have been singing the reboot and relocate router song for a year now.

THE ONLY SUPERFLY

mmmmmm thanks this boosted speed a bit... i been tryin to force to higher mhz band, locking on 1800mhz seems to help. will test for a few days. it did not change the tower location though.

I just force the router to 1800mhz.

kabusi

Expert Member
Had the same problem today of not being able to connect to the tower I usually do until now. ie. 10:05am.
Any other tower which I connect to after several reboots and hit and miss of being able to connect resulted in 0.1Mbps.
This is unusable and now I am back to 2Mbps with my usual tower.
Since I have a fixed router and have not touched it since last night when I was still connected, why is my connection dropping and resulting in "no service" until 10am?
Been a problem every single night almost since the lockdown began.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Had the same problem today of not being able to connect to the tower I usually do until now. ie. 10:05am.
Any other tower which I connect to after several reboots and hit and miss of being able to connect resulted in 0.1Mbps.
This is unusable and now I am back to 2Mbps with my usual tower.
Since I have a fixed router and have not touched it since last night when I was still connected, why is my connection dropping and resulting in "no service" until 10am?
Been a problem every single night almost since the lockdown began.
Hi Kabusi,

I'd like to apologize profusely for the inconvenience caused.

Kindly note that your connection query is still under investigation and feedback will be communicated to you as soon as possible.

Thanks

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So no in public responses from Rain?
Why?
Rain ashamed to admit their business plan is falling apart already?
Inadequate core backbone capacity? Selective response and unfair usage policies being applied to customers?
Incorrect assessment of a customers profile?
Selective punishment meted out to those marked as capacity abusers?

Fascinating to see my predictions coming true.
Everything rosy while their take up was low.
Now the crunch comes.

johnjm

Expert Member
mmmmmm thanks this boosted speed a bit... i been tryin to force to higher mhz band, locking on 1800mhz seems to help. will test for a few days. it did not change the tower location though.

I just force the router to 1800mhz.
Exactly what I do. 2600 gets me terrible speeds less than 10mbits. On 1800 I am consistently at 30.

TechnoChicken

Odd that I spot this thread, as I was about to post the same thing.

My connection has been terrible as of late, fluctuating speeds up and down and packet loss, ping and latency issues in games. I could barely play Call of duty or Counterstrike this weekend as both games had my ping randomly jumping into triple digits and lots of disconnects from battle.net, Steam, Epic game services etc leaving me extremely frustrated and unable to do any multiplayer gaming.

Did speed tests at various times during the weekend, sometimes getting less than 20 down, where I usually get 400+ and 1 up where I usually get 50 - 60. My friends even struggle to hear me on Discord as they say I break up too much. This morning without changing anything - 279 down and 42.0 up :|

As per my last ticket with Rain we noticed that I am no longer connecting to my closest tower which I have always been. I am connecting to a tower 2KM from my house where I don't have clear line of sight. Here comes the curveball. The window where my router is situated in (and always has been since I got it) when you stand in that window you can SEE THE RAIN TOWER 0.83KM from my house. No buildings orobstructions, you can physically see the tower from the window where the router is without issue. But no no, Mr Rain router, you would rather connect to a tower 2KM away with absolutely no line of sight and lots of obstructions in the way.

How does that even make sense?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Odd that I spot this thread, as I was about to post the same thing.

My connection has been terrible as of late, fluctuating speeds up and down and packet loss, ping and latency issues in games. I could barely play Call of duty or Counterstrike this weekend as both games had my ping randomly jumping into triple digits and lots of disconnects from battle.net, Steam, Epic game services etc leaving me extremely frustrated and unable to do any multiplayer gaming.

Did speed tests at various times during the weekend, sometimes getting less than 20 down, where I usually get 400+ and 1 up where I usually get 50 - 60. My friends even struggle to hear me on Discord as they say I break up too much. This morning without changing anything - 279 down and 42.0 up :|

As per my last ticket with Rain we noticed that I am no longer connecting to my closest tower which I have always been. I am connecting to a tower 2KM from my house where I don't have clear line of sight. Here comes the curveball. The window where my router is situated in (and always has been since I got it) when you stand in that window you can SEE THE RAIN TOWER 0.83KM from my house. No buildings orobstructions, you can physically see the tower from the window where the router is without issue. But no no, Mr Rain router, you would rather connect to a tower 2KM away with absolutely no line of sight and lots of obstructions in the way.

How does that even make sense?
Makes perfect sense, when a business plan or company rule steps in and overrides the technical rules.
The ONLY way that Rain can handle the over subscription and lack of core capacity to base stations ius to punish large capacity users by forcing them to connect to other less loaded base stations. And the further you have to go, the lower the performance will be UNLESS you force connectivity to the lower 1800 MHz band, which will temporarily improve performance in the short term. All that makes perfect technological sense.

clickingbuttons

Heh he. Very silent is he not?
Bet you his standard answer will be to move the router around the house.

I used to leave my Huawei 4G router cable tied to the top of the roof trusses in my house.

It was great, for a while :-/

TechnoChicken

Makes perfect sense, when a business plan or company rule steps in and overrides the technical rules.
The ONLY way that Rain can handle the over subscription and lack of core capacity to base stations ius to punish large capacity users by forcing them to connect to other less loaded base stations. And the further you have to go, the lower the performance will be UNLESS you force connectivity to the lower 1800 MHz band, which will temporarily improve performance in the short term. All that makes perfect technological sense.
:(

Lemme investigate this band setting, thank you kindly.