RAIN Huawei 5G CPE Pro settings

powermzii

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

I found this thread and decided to get into my router. After I locked it into 5G, I see my speed tripled with no connection drops yet. I also moved from one room to another and its much better now. Doesn't make sense because when I first setup, the area where I moved it to was originally worse.
Can you post a pic of your config on that screen, might help some of the guys here

MikeTosen

Hi Guys,

I found this thread and decided to get into my router. After I locked it into 5G, I see my speed tripled with no connection drops yet. I also moved from one room to another and its much better now. Doesn't make sense because when I first setup, the area where I moved it to was originally worse.
Please give us a screenshot of the settings you applied.

MartinPark

Good day,

I am using Rain 5G, and on my XBOX one NAT status it says strict. Can someone help me to get it into an open status

chabig

Hi,

Still haven't had anyone from Rain support contact me.....?
Still haven't had a word out of Rain technical support on my issue!

Does anyone know how this can be escalated to at least get a response? Else - Can anyone tell me how to cancel the subscription because I can't see anyway through the website.....

Migael69

Im more than happy with my Rain 5G connection these days after alot of uphill and self configuration...it has finally stabalised Runs like dream over 210/Mbps for most of the day

60Mbps upload too.....
HI there, please share what your self-configuration entailed? I'm also playing around with it and some advice would be great!

CLOSURE

Hi Guys,

Please show us what you did bud

under_sky

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

Only lock frequency i have found is this

1590343992787.png

redfordb

Hi,

Sorry for long post - but managed to get my DL speeds from 10 mbps yesterday to consistent 420+ with improved upload and reduced ping so thought Id post my experience in case someone might find it useful...

I received my external router yesterday. After initial setup and testing from various windows in my house I was getting a max DL speed of 10 mbps. I was testing using speedtest.net connecting to Rain Jhb.

After changing the Antenna to FIXED and retesting, I found that my best location was on the opposite side of my house to the blue dot on the optimiser page. I also noticed that the results varied drastically depending on which direction the router faced. I'm assuming its due to fixed antenna 3 setting having the antenna on the right of the LEDS all green in the online help.

My download speed was now maxing out at 220 mbps - was happy with it as its in line with the average mentioned on the Rain shop.

This morning, I wanted to know how good the 220mbps speed actual was. I have an inverter in my bakkie so decided to drive around my neighborhood with the router to see what speeds I could get if conditions were better i.e. closer to various towers in the area with clear line of site.

Max speed I got was 450 mbps - not so happy with the 220 mbps anymore. When I got home I tried the router at different heights in the direction of I towers I found earlier in the day. Every one of them is obstructed by trees. I did manage to get 380 mbps in one of my tests where the router was orientated with the back of the router (opposite LEDS) in the general direction of one of the towers (but to the left of the palm tree obstructing line of sight). The 380 mbps was pretty consistent over multiple tests - I had found where my device will be installed.

After installing the device in its final location, the 5G signal was not being picked up. When unplugging and reconnecting the network cable on the router I noticed there was a slight clicking noise when moving the cable - after playing with the cable a bit the signal came on and has not gone off since - using the waterproof connection that came with the unit should prevent the jack in the port from moving going forward.

I came back to this thread to write this up when I noticed the Lock 5G comment mentioned above. Thought I would give it a try. After making the change (selecting lock 5G option, changing band to n78 and no other changes and clicking apply), my DL speed is consistently over 400.

My network info at the moment is.

Network Type: NSA
Signal Intensity: LTE (-80 dBm)NR (-94 dBm)
Signal Quality: LTE (4 dB)NR (1 dB)
RSSI: -58
PLMN: 65573
Cell ID: 29409636
5G MCS: UL (26)DL (2)
5G BLER: 0.00 %
5G CQI: 15
5G RANK:

Hopefully someone can find this useful... these are the comments that got me through the process...

@name_less (Fixed Antenna) https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/rain-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-settings.1056375/post-25296117

@SabzTheIceCreamMan (Locking 5G) https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/rain-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-settings.1056375/post-25461897

Last edited:

dantex

Hi,

Sorry for long post - but managed to get my DL speeds from 10 mbps yesterday to consistent 420+ with improved upload and reduced ping so thought Id post my experience in case someone might find it useful...

I received my external router yesterday. After initial setup and testing from various windows in my house I was getting a max DL speed of 10 mbps. I was testing using speedtest.net connecting to Rain Jhb.

After changing the Antenna to FIXED and retesting, I found that my best location was on the opposite side of my house to the blue dot on the optimiser page. I also noticed that the results varied drastically depending on which direction the router faced. I'm assuming its due to fixed antenna 3 setting having the antenna on the right of the LEDS all green in the online help.

My download speed was now maxing out at 220 mbps - was happy with it as its in line with the average mentioned on the Rain shop.

This morning, I wanted to know how good the 220mbps speed actual was. I have an inverter in my bakkie so decided to drive around my neighborhood with the router to see what speeds I could get if conditions were better i.e. closer to various towers in the area with clear line of site.

Max speed I got was 450 mbps - not so happy with the 220 mbps anymore. When I got home I tried the router at different heights in the direction of I towers I found earlier in the day. Every one of them is obstructed by trees. I did manage to get 380 mbps in one of my tests where the router was orientated with the back of the router (opposite LEDS) in the general direction of one of the towers (but to the left of the palm tree obstructing line of sight). The 380 mbps was pretty consistent over multiple tests - I had found where my device will be installed.

After installing the device in its final location, the 5G signal was not being picked up. When unplugging and reconnecting the network cable on the router I noticed there was a slight clicking noise when moving the cable - after playing with the cable a bit the signal came on and has not gone off since - using the waterproof connection that came with the unit should prevent the jack in the port from moving going forward.

I came back to this thread to write this up when I noticed the Lock 5G comment mentioned above. Thought I would give it a try. After making the change (selecting lock 5G option, changing band to n78 and no other changes and clicking apply), my DL speed is consistently over 400.

My network info at the moment is.

Network Type: NSA
Signal Intensity: LTE (-80 dBm)NR (-94 dBm)
Signal Quality: LTE (4 dB)NR (1 dB)
RSSI: -58
PLMN: 65573
Cell ID: 29409636
5G MCS: UL (26)DL (2)
5G BLER: 0.00 %
5G CQI: 15
5G RANK:

Hopefully someone can find this useful... these are the comments that got me through the process...

@name_less (Fixed Antenna) https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/rain-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-settings.1056375/post-25296117

@SabzTheIceCreamMan (Locking 5G) https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/rain-huawei-5g-cpe-pro-settings.1056375/post-25461897

I had a similar experience.
As you mentioned, the optimiser page says I should face the opposite direction to where the unit is aligned now, since I know that it is connecting to a different tower, not the one the optimiser points to.
Most folks would not know this and could be the cause of numerous connection or speed issues.

It's clearer by the day, Rain underestimated the complexity of installing these units to get an optimum connection.
If they had included professional level installation services, I suspect most of the bad experiences would've been avoided, tower issues notwithstanding.

RiseUp

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am struggling with online gaming on 5G Rain.
I have the Huawei CPE modem and was wondering if there's any settings that I could change in order to make connecting with other players easier.
I play mostly on Nintendo Switch and initial searches I made pointed out that the problem was my Nat type (D), which made it very difficult to connect. Nevertheless, I am not sure how I can change that.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide.
Hi, I've got the same problem, I get a ping rate of about 25ms on the network speed my download is about 400mps and upload 45mps,however my NAT stays on stricked and my Xbox can't find the Upnp. I've tried everything to open this to no avail. Although my ping rate is about 25ms my latency on Xbox never goes below 225ms,especially on Gears of War. I've even plugged my router directly to my Xbox and I've got a 5HRz extender with no other devises connected to the CPE router and I'm 200m from the tower. I was supposed to be contacted by there technical department a month and a half ago again no response. If you get any news about this, please share with me

dantex

Hi, I've got the same problem, I get a ping rate of about 25ms on the network speed my download is about 400mps and upload 45mps,however my NAT stays on stricked and my Xbox can't find the Upnp. I've tried everything to open this to no avail. Although my ping rate is about 25ms my latency on Xbox never goes below 225ms,especially on Gears of War. I've even plugged my router directly to my Xbox and I've got a 5HRz extender with no other devises connected to the CPE router and I'm 200m from the tower. I was supposed to be contacted by there technical department a month and a half ago again no response. If you get any news about this, please share with me
You can't get around Strict NAT unfortunately without using a VPN on Rain.
To improve your ping, set your antennae's to fixed mode and try 1 through 10 configs.
I had a similar experience to you with pings, switching to fixed gives me 25ms-50ms pings on COD MW from >150ms

DMaulidi

Hi All

Anyone with an idea how can one enable VPN on the HUAWEI 5G Outdoor CPE Model: N5368X ?

I am thinking of IP Passthrough for now as I want to run some test first using a mesh network VPN Setting.

Locking you 5G on 5G NR n78 will give stability and but speed is something else as a number of factors affect the speed throughput but locking it to 5G is a great idea
How did you manage to lock to n78? I can't seem to lock my CPE to it. I apply then it goes back to n41. For n78 it wants me to lock it with Arfcn and/or PCI. Don't you happen to know which values I need for these?

Singhms

Hi Guys, how is the speed & stability in Centurion?

I saw an article that the system config was sorted out in Centurion and this fixed connectivity issues...

powermzii

Expert Member

I saw an article that the system config was sorted out in Centurion and this fixed connectivity issues...
I think its totally dependent on where in Centurion you are and which tower you connect to, @cavedog seems to have had decent and stable speeds but not sure about others

MikeTosen

I'm in Rooihuiskraal, Centurion, and its NOT sorted out
Good one day, next day horrible.
Countless restarts, and it works for a while.
Been in contact with guys at Rain, hoping they can get it sorted.
As its my only option other than 10Mbps adsl thats more down than up.

Friend stays in Amberfield, same story, pretty messed up

Last edited: