RAIN Huawei 5G CPE Pro settings

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me out, I tried fiddling with the frequency settings because I was getting extremely unstable and low speeds but now my router keeps flashing green. It cant find any signal and its been looking for signal for the past hour but nothing works. Please help
Hi steve12687,

Please drop us a DM with the email address linked to your rain account so that we can further investigate your query?

Regards,
rain_mobile

Speedster370

Just an update on my connectivity problems. Got a call from rain today and they activated the service for me remotely not getting the best speeds yet but still need to play around with location of my device luckily it is working and already getting 3× faster speed than i was getting with telkom. Would definitely recomend rain to anyone.

Was a bit slow getting the service i do understand covid 19 messed ip alot of things and they assured me that i will get a refund for the days i was unable to acess the service thank you RAIN

powermzii

Expert Member
Just an update on my connectivity problems. Got a call from rain today and they activated the service for me remotely not getting the best speeds yet but still need to play around with location of my device luckily it is working and already getting 3× faster speed than i was getting with telkom. Would definitely recomend rain to anyone.

Was a bit slow getting the service i do understand covid 19 messed ip alot of things and they assured me that i will get a refund for the days i was unable to acess the service thank you RAIN
What sort of speeds are you getting?

Glad they were able to sort you out

Speedster370

Only getting 15mb/s better than telkom 3.2mb/s but still not what it is supposed to be abke to get. Will have to move around to see where i can get the best signal

powermzii

Expert Member
Only getting 15mb/s better than telkom 3.2mb/s but still not what it is supposed to be abke to get. Will have to move around to see where i can get the best signal
Yeah the devices are super sensitive to placement. Yours is on a pole though so maybe you just need to setup the Antenna portion and Lock the frequency - this may help bump that up - goodluck

Fautam

Hi all. I may be, sort of, hi-jacking the thread here. I have had the Rain 5G CPE router outdoors on a 3-metre stand for about 3 weeks and consistently got speeds of 250-300Mbps down and 40Mbps up. Then I thought if I'd move it up on the roof at 6 meters up the signal should be better and I might get even faster speeds. So, after doing all the effort to set it on the roof, according to the router info, the signal is indeed stronger. However, now I am struggling to get more than 140Mbps. What is up with that? Did I just strike a coincidental dip in the network performance or did my move up on the roof actually cause the slow-down?

See below my signal info for details. That's strong, good signal isn't it? What I have noticed, however, is that it now constantly switches between 3 or 4 different Cell IDs which it didn't do before. Is that a problem? I am also seeing the BLER jump up to high percentages often (I am not sure whether it's more often than before though).

After moving to the roof:

Network Type: NSA
Signal Intensity: LTE (-78 dBm) NR (-75 dBm)
Signal Quality: LTE (-8 dB) NR (3 dB)
RSSI: -49
5G MCS: UL (26) DL (0)
5G BLER: 0.00 %
5G CQI: 13

Before moving to the roof:

Signal Intensity: LTE (-82 dBm)NR (-82 dBm)
Signal Quality: LTE (0 dB)NR (9 dB)
RSSI: -56
5G MCS: UL (26)DL (1)
5G CQI: 9
5G RANK: 0

@rain_mobile perhaps you can advise me here?

powermzii

Expert Member
Hi all. I may be, sort of, hi-jacking the thread here. I have had the Rain 5G CPE router outdoors on a 3-metre stand for about 3 weeks and consistently got speeds of 250-300Mbps down and 40Mbps up. Then I thought if I'd move it up on the roof at 6 meters up the signal should be better and I might get even faster speeds. So, after doing all the effort to set it on the roof, according to the router info, the signal is indeed stronger. However, now I am struggling to get more than 140Mbps. What is up with that? Did I just strike a coincidental dip in the network performance or did my move up on the roof actually cause the slow-down?

See below my signal info for details. That's strong, good signal isn't it? What I have noticed, however, is that it now constantly switches between 3 or 4 different Cell IDs which it didn't do before. Is that a problem? I am also seeing the BLER jump up to high percentages often (I am not sure whether it's more often than before though).

Signal Intensity: LTE (-78 dBm) NR (-75 dBm)
Signal Quality: LTE (-8 dB) NR (3 dB)
RSSI: -49
5G MCS: UL (26) DL (0)
5G CQI: 13
On the optimiser does it show the 2 or 3 towers you might be connecting to?

Fautam

Yeah the devices are super sensitive to placement. Yours is on a pole though so maybe you just need to setup the Antenna portion and Lock the frequency - this may help bump that up - goodluck
I have also experienced that the CPE is very sensitive to placement. I have recently moved my router from gutter-level up onto the roof and now the speeds are slower. So something's odd. Either I am getting interference up there or the router is jumping between cells too much. I think locking the channel would help in the latter case but I don't know how to find the ARFCN of my cell :)

Fautam

On the optimiser does it show the 2 or 3 towers you might be connecting to?
Yes. I see the Cell ID and it switches between 3 or 4. I can use the Cellmapper tool to calculate the eNB that the respective cells belong to.

powermzii

Expert Member
Yes. I see the Cell ID and it switches between 3 or 4. I can use the Cellmapper tool to calculate the eNB that the respective cells belong to.
The Rain optimiser can show you the towers around you, its on their website and tells you distance to the towers.

If I remember correctly you don't need to set the Arfcn or whatever its called, lol. Set your antenna combine index to the direction of the tower you want to fix to then lock frequency and set the band

Fautam

The Rain optimiser can show you the towers around you, its on their website and tells you distance to the towers.

If I remember correctly you don't need to set the Arfcn or whatever its called, lol. Set your antenna combine index to the direction of the tower you want to fix to then lock frequency and set the band
Oh yes I misunderstood you. Yeah, I can see the Rain towers around me on the optimiser on the website. There are many and from the position it is in right now it has a clear view of 3 of the towers and they are higher elevation than us too. If I get onto the roof at sunset I can see the red lights of all three towers. One is only 600 metres away.

I have played a little with the antenna settings but haven't found one the stands out though. Perhaps I should try rotating the router on the mast a little. Also, how do I lock the frequency and set the bank as you say? I've tried playing with those settings but don't seem to get it right.

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
How are you guys connecting to your routers? Wired or wireless? If it's wireless and they further away, up a pole, that could diminish throughput due to a weaker WiFi signal.

powermzii

Expert Member
Oh yes I misunderstood you. Yeah, I can see the Rain towers around me on the optimiser on the website. There are many and from the position it is in right now it has a clear view of 3 of the towers and they are higher elevation than us too. If I get onto the roof at sunset I can see the red lights of all three towers. One is only 600 metres away.

I have played a little with the antenna settings but haven't found one the stands out though. Perhaps I should try rotating the router on the mast a little. Also, how do I lock the frequency and set the bank as you say? I've tried playing with those settings but don't seem to get it right.
If the optimiser can see 3 in close proximity then the router will most definitely also be bouncing between them. For antenna combine index settings - check this post by @Assasin_Zer0 - its all relative to where the indicator (front) of your router is and which direction the tower is relative to that indicator

5G Locking
1593272272239.png

Fautam

If the optimiser can see 3 in close proximity then the router will most definitely also be bouncing between them. For antenna combine index settings - check this post by @Assasin_Zer0 - its all relative to where the indicator (front) of your router is and which direction the tower is relative to that indicator

5G Locking
I've found the user manual and understand the way the antenna combinations work very well. However, I am not certain that signal reception is my problem because it receives strong signal all day. I think the problem is either interference or that it's bouncing between towers too often. I need to figure that out.

Regarding the 5G locking... I've done what you show in the image, but that doesn't really do anything. Or does it? Didn't look like it to me.