RAIN Huawei 5G CPE Pro settings

wdmyburgh

Morning,

Does anyone know if RAIN would lock me to a specific tower?

No matter what I do or where I place my router it keeps connecting to a tower thats almost 3 times father away than my closest tower.

During the day my speeds are ok, averaging just above 100Mbps, not the 400+ Mbps I was getting before lockdown started. However, my biggest issue is in the evenings where every night like clockwork, between 6pm and 10pm my connection drops to below 30Mbps and many nights I barley get 10Mbps. Could this be some sort of QoS that RAIN is applying on their network where they 'claim' a 200Mbps average speed?

I dont think its a signal issue either (attached)

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Attachments

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Morning,

No matter what I do or where I place my router it keeps connecting to a tower thats almost 3 times father away than my closest tower.

During the day my speeds are ok, averaging just above 100Mbps, not the 400+ Mbps I was getting before lockdown started. However, my biggest issue is in the evenings where every night like clockwork, between 6pm and 10pm my connection drops to below 30Mbps and many nights I barley get 10Mbps. Could this be some sort of QoS that RAIN is applying on their network where they 'claim' a 200Mbps average speed?

Regards
Hi,

I apologies profusely for the inconvenience caused.

Please drop us a DM with your email address linked to your rain profile so we can investigate your query.

powermzii

Expert Member
Morning,

Regards
I think the requirement to lock to a tower is a critical one that rain need to look into implementing - they are doing a lot of work with Huawei I am sure the CPE's could recieve a patch to allow / enable this

rain_networks

Rain Representative
Company Rep
I think the requirement to lock to a tower is a critical one that rain need to look into implementing - they are doing a lot of work with Huawei I am sure the CPE's could recieve a patch to allow / enable this
Hi, I wish this were possible, it would solve a lot of problems, but right now it is not. The strongest signal prevails. The CPE will ALWAYS latch to the site with the best RSRP, the only thing you can do is move it in such a way that the signal from one site degrades and the other remains stable. If anyone has a better idea on how to "lock" to a tower please let me know - any ideas welcome!

powermzii

Expert Member
Hi, I wish this were possible, it would solve a lot of problems, but right now it is not. The strongest signal prevails. The CPE will ALWAYS latch to the site with the best RSRP, the only thing you can do is move it in such a way that the signal from one site degrades and the other remains stable. If anyone has a better idea on how to "lock" to a tower please let me know - any ideas welcome!
Could that be because the CPE is always searching for the next best signal? If so then maybe an option to disable this autosensing / searching and have a preferred Cell-ID then the logic is to either autosearch or refer to the preferred cell-id

rain_networks

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Could that be because the CPE is always searching for the next best signal? If so then maybe an option to disable this and have a preferred Cell-ID
Yes, that is why. It is the way the CPE and RF works - its always scanning. On the 5G router, there is a setting somewhere called auto-panning that could be played with, this is circular panning that happens every 4 hours - you could try disabling it, I tried it in the past and it somewhat worked but had varying results. No such thing as preferred CellID - cool idea

Moshanti

Hi, does the huawei n5368x only work on rain? Tried telkom it didn't work aren't there settings I can modify to make telkom work on it

nad_isa

Hi, does the huawei n5368x only work on rain? Tried telkom it didn't work aren't there settings I can modify to make telkom work on it
Network locked as far as I am aware. not possible unless you do some sort of hack as i understand it. but is it really worth it?

Ronnn

Pretty impressed with service so far. RAIN are sending technician tomorrow to see if they can sort it out. Will keep everyone posted. Better work I've canceled my ADSL line. Not that I had choice in matter. Fingers crossed.
Please pm the technician number

-ShaunFortmann-

Anyone have any idea why my CPE would be going passed the tower 700m away and connecting to one 2km away? It was fine on Sat, but speeds dropped from like 280 to 70, so had a look and it's changed towers. They both in the same general direction but did move the CPE around and no luck connecting to the closer tower.

Attachments

ricklou001

Anyone have any idea why my CPE would be going passed the tower 700m away and connecting to one 2km away? It was fine on Sat, but speeds dropped from like 280 to 70, so had a look and it's changed towers. They both in the same general direction but did move the CPE around and no luck connecting to the closer tower.
Mine is exactly the same have a tower 800m from me and it connects to a tower 3km from me.Contacted Rain and no reply nor support

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Mine is exactly the same have a tower 800m from me and it connects to a tower 3km from me.Contacted Rain and no reply nor support
Getting support from MyBB rep. Have been emailing RAIN for last two weeks and ZERO response from them.

DiamondWouter

Morning,

Regards
HI I live like 5 blocks from you and same issue. I connect to Daspoort.

powermzii

Expert Member
Just got this notification from Rain, wonder what new functionality is in the new firmware... If any

powermzii

Expert Member
And i also see that their website has been updated to include a lot more useful information and functionality

1597840700604.png

1597841484316.png

1597840732930.png

Last edited:

powermzii

Expert Member
They have taken the optimizer out -can you confirm -I dont get it
The only optimiser i now have access to is the one that shows which tower you are connected to (on the website). (Connecting to a tower 3km away due to loadshedding)
1597841237936.png
The old optimiser that did a speedtest between router and tower has been offline for sometime now