Rain LTE Sim Card APN settings for CellPhone

wcm

Hi all,

I got the the Afrihost Rain LTE deal and received the Huawei B618 router and Rain LTE sim card, It works perfectly in the router and I'm getting really good speeds however in my phone it does not work. I have a Xiaomi note 4 Global version which supports Rain LTE bands however It does not auto connect to the network. Is there anyway I can find out the network details/ APN details and enter them in my phone manually to get the connection working.

What I have tried:

1. Contacted Rain: Answer was to ask your ISP

2. Contacted Afrihost asked for the settings or steps on how I can go about this. Answer "You will have to do your own research we cannot provide these details".

3. Tried the router for the network information, it does not provide much details. Even tried the Huawei App with no suck Luck.

I know myBB has done this here: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadband/224632-we-tested-rains-lte-a-in-a-smartphone-with-surprisingly-good-results.html

Any ideas on how I can get the APN Name, Username, password and so on.

Last edited:

wcm

Afrihost answer suggests it can be used in a phone, however they won't provide the details to try it out

Afrihost answer suggests it can be used in a phone, however they won't provide the details to try it out
From the FAQ's:

Can I use the included SIM Card in another device?
No, unfortunately the Rain SIM Cards are locked to specific device types that are pre-approved for the Rain Network.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Guys here is some FACTS.

*Sim is not router locked
*Router is not network or sim locked
*Simcard works on LTE and LTE A devices supporting 1800MHz or 2600MHz
*If you use it in a phone or mifi change the apn to "internet" no username or password and it will authenticate.

Tested on Huawei Mifi E5776, Huawei Mifi E5573, Huawei B315, Huawei B593, Huawei B618, Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G4, Samsung Galaxy S8 with 4G+ showing, MTN Steppa 2

Working in all those devices. Tested with a Webafrica 55gb+55gb deal and a Afrihost 25gb+25gb deal. :)

Last edited:

silkenphoenixx

When your device connected it sends its details to the network, that's how cellphone ISPs send their apns when you connect for the first time.

Perhaps the RAIN network just accepts routers but rejects phones.

Edit: cavedog beat me to it. Forget what I said.

cavedog

Honorary Master
When your device connected it sends its details to the network, that's how cellphone ISPs send their apns when you connect for the first time.

Perhaps the RAIN network just accepts routers but rejects phones.
Nope. Works in phones :)

Guys here is some FACTS.

*If you use it in a phone or mifi change the apn to "internet" no username or password and it will authenticate.

Tested on Huawei Mifi E5776, Huawei Mifi E5573, Huawei B315, Huawei B593, Huawei B618, Samsung Galaxy S5, LG G4, Samsung Galaxy S8 with 4G+ showing, MTN Steppa 2

Working in all those devices. Tested with a Webafrica 55gb+55gb deal and a Afrihost 25gb+25gb deal. :)
Well I say old chap! That is interesting.

The username and password is most interesting, I couldn't change to Google DNS because it asked for the username and password when trying to apply.

EDIT: well that's unfortunate, the B618 won't take a blank username

Shabbroadband

i tried settings as suggested by cavedog (APN = internet) , in my afrihost mifi device , but it refuses to connect... any suggestions?

cavedog

Honorary Master
i tried settings as suggested by cavedog (APN = internet) , in my afrihost mifi device , but it refuses to connect... any suggestions?
Does it pick up 65519? If you are but it refuses to connect it is your apn settings that is incorrect.

Still working here on my Afrihost Mifi which they are apparently stopping come the 1st of November.

Last edited:

Fireball

Guys here is some FACTS.

Are these still working today, now that RAIN has blocked all devices they deem unworthy?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Are these still working today, now that RAIN has blocked all devices they deem unworthy?
obviously the case, cant have people undermining us this way!

hopefully rain mobile launches soon enough