Rain Mobile Feedback Thread

lotus123

You seem to be winning. Well done.

I'm not too familiar with all the options, so can't comment on the commands you're using. I simply switch gateway using the following, having given names to the routers (under network -> hostnames).

#Switch to MTN
59 17 * * * route delete default gw Rain.lan; route add default gw MTN.lan

#Switch to Rain
0 23 * * * route delete default gw MTN.lan; route add default gw Rain.lan

EDIT: If the commands work when entered manually, then they "should" work as scheduled jobs too. I set mine for 17:59 just to be doubly sure I don't have a potential disconnect while watching a live match, but 18:00 should work fine.
Thanks! Very different, and I'm going to try that too.

So far I'm happy with the performance. The one thing I can't do anymore is send a command string to the B315 to change bands between 1800 and 2600, but that's not too serious.

Once again, thanks for the tip. Very happy with the result.

Speedster

Executive Member
Thanks! Very different, and I'm going to try that too.

So far I'm happy with the performance. The one thing I can't do anymore is send a command string to the B315 to change bands between 1800 and 2600, but that's not too serious.

Once again, thanks for the tip. Very happy with the result.
You should still be able to set the band on the router, just remember to update the IP address used by the toolbox to the new settings

coskey_t

I live in Forest Hills in KZN and work in Kloof on Village road. I get between 0 and 2 bars but with 0 being much more often so its not usable with the work I do. I drive to centre of Hillcrest near HCA and no signal. I drive home to Forest Hills and no signal (granted there is no signal whatsoever on any network in that area where I live). I go to Watercrest mall and inside no signal. For me its unusable. Only time it works for me properly is when I go on holiday to Uvongo, then it works nicely. I am using a TP-Link 7310 and a iPad Air 2. The technician form Rain said I I am trying from an outlying area (yet I can see the Telkom exchange and tower) from my office so signal will be very bad. Doesn't seem like they going to increase the coverage at any stage so I guess I am going to stick to MTN and Vodacom for now.

Last edited:

lotus123

I live in Forest Hills in KZN and work in Kloof on Village road. I get between 0 and 2 bars but with 0 being much more often so its not usable with the work I do. I drive to centre of Hillcrest near HCA and no signal. I drive home to Forest Hills and no signal (granted there is no signal whatsoever on any network in that area where I live). I go to Watercrest mall and inside no signal. For me its unusable. Only time it works for me properly is when I go on holiday to Uvongo, then it works nicely. I am using a TP-Link 7310 and a iPad Air 2. The technician form Rain said I I am trying from an outlying area (yet I can see the Telkom exchange and tower) from my office so signal will be very bad. Doesn't seem like they going to increase the coverage at any stage so I guess I am going to stick to MTN and Vodacom for now.
You might try a Poynting Xpol 6 antenna, worked wonders for me though I wasn't as weak on signal as you are.

They're not cheap (R600 - R1200 used) and they're not portable, but depending on how much data you consume (and the high prices of alternative mobile offerings), there might be a Return on Investment for it.

Hello
Has anyone noticed lower signal on a xiaomi phone?
I had a p9 lite and used to get very good speeds using uncapped deal. I upgraded to a mi 8 lite and now whenever I'm on the road or something the signal goes off, or I drop to one-two bars

under_sky

Vodacom has got a very good deal at the moment 60GB anytime data and then 30GB night time for R299 on 24 Months, if signal is a big issue for you then go that route

Hello
Has anyone noticed lower signal on a xiaomi phone?
I had a p9 lite and used to get very good speeds using uncapped deal. I upgraded to a mi 8 lite and now whenever I'm on the road or something the signal goes off, or I drop to one-two bars
I get better speeds with my Redmi 5 Plus than Samsung A5. Don't really notice a difference with signal.

lotus123

Ah ok. I see you have to do tftp for that model - https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tp-link_archer_c20_v4

Edit: it seems openwrt doesn't play so nice with that router You might want to consider either getting a router that works better with openwrt or alternatively popping a dedicated device between the LTE routers and your wireless (eg tp-link tl-r470t or an edgerouter x)
After setting up the C20 as the "controller" for DHCP, WiFi and wired connections, I've found that the WIFI drivers for OpenWRT are just too flaky. The constant disconnects drove me crazy.

Yesterday I tried another approach. I reflashed the C20 with original TP Link firmware (that's a mission! Cant simply use the downloadable versions, has to be tweaked, so now using a Portugese language version - try configuring a router with that!)

I then placed another (spare) TP Link 3420v1 router as a "soft switch" between the controller (C20) and the 2 gateway routers (Huawei B315, TP Link 3420 v2 - both running native firmware). The "soft switch" router is flashed with Rooter firmware (a branch of OpenWRT) that's very stable and suitable for 4Mb memory routers (OpenWRT isn't recommended for these small memory devices). This "soft switch" runs the Cron job to change the default gateways on daily schedule.

To reduce workloads on these entry level devices I've switched off WiFi and DHCP on all except the C20 "controller", and firewalls are enabled on the gateways only.

It all seems to be working okay. Downloads on SABNZBD last night averaged 5MB/s, and performance this morning is good. Most importantly, the WiFi connections are stable (although my wife's iPhone and IPad seem to be slow - need to check that out).

TheSuperSonic

i ordered a RAIN LTE Sim Card yesterday using my Standard bank virtual credit card the payment went through.... they sent an e-mail saying it will be delivered in 5 business working days after the long weekend
how long do i wait for the sim to be active i just recently got RAIN LTE coverage :D

kianm

Honorary Master
i ordered a RAIN LTE Sim Card yesterday using my Standard bank virtual credit card the payment went through.... they sent an e-mail saying it will be delivered in 5 business working days after the long weekend
how long do i wait for the sim to be active i just recently got RAIN LTE coverage :D
Once the Sim arrives, get onto live chat and ask them for activation (if not already activated by then)

Speedster

Executive Member
After setting up the C20 as the "controller" for DHCP, WiFi and wired connections, I've found that the WIFI drivers for OpenWRT are just too flaky. The constant disconnects drove me crazy.

Yesterday I tried another approach. I reflashed the C20 with original TP Link firmware (that's a mission! Cant simply use the downloadable versions, has to be tweaked, so now using a Portugese language version - try configuring a router with that!)

I then placed another (spare) TP Link 3420v1 router as a "soft switch" between the controller (C20) and the 2 gateway routers (Huawei B315, TP Link 3420 v2 - both running native firmware). The "soft switch" router is flashed with Rooter firmware (a branch of OpenWRT) that's very stable and suitable for 4Mb memory routers (OpenWRT isn't recommended for these small memory devices). This "soft switch" runs the Cron job to change the default gateways on daily schedule.

To reduce workloads on these entry level devices I've switched off WiFi and DHCP on all except the C20 "controller", and firewalls are enabled on the gateways only.

It all seems to be working okay. Downloads on SABNZBD last night averaged 5MB/s, and performance this morning is good. Most importantly, the WiFi connections are stable (although my wife's iPhone and IPad seem to be slow - need to check that out).
I'm using a 3420 with openwrt for WiFi and the gateway switching. I.e. there are two B315s plugged into a 3420

ld13

Honorary Master
Getting Connection failed with error code 3254 on a B593 ... I recall that I got the same error before the sim was actually activated and then again a few days ago for a short period but now I am back in the 3254 boat. Odd.

Edit: As I post this the router reconnects with 3 bars signal!
Edit2: But no internet/throughput.

Coincdentally I have hit 250GB of usage, exactly - coincidence?

Last edited:

kianm

Honorary Master
Getting Connection failed with error code 3254 on a B593 ... I recall that I got the same error before the sim was actually activated and then again a few days ago for a short period but now I am back in the 3254 boat. Odd.

Edit: As I post this the router reconnects with 3 bars signal!
Edit2: But no internet/throughput.

Coincdentally I have hit 250GB of usage, exactly - coincidence?
My signal has also dropped bad and I get disconnected every now and then (since Friday) , so I've completely disconnected Rain from my setup and using only my Telkom sim for now. Rain can be quite unreliable sometimes I must say

Polymathic

Honorary Master
My signal has also dropped bad and I get disconnected every now and then (since Friday) , so I've completely disconnected Rain from my setup and using only my Telkom sim for now. Rain can be quite unreliable sometimes I must say
Maybe due to Easter traffic. I've noticed my speeds are like 50% slower on Monday Mornings ever since Game Of Thrones returned, could be a coincidence

lotus123

+1
Actually it's quite predictable - it's fine after 23h00, and then slow after 08h00 for the rest of the day.

ld13

Honorary Master
It was fine again for a while, but now we are back to getting disconnected every now and again.

Edit: It is in peak time now, but it just died again - red light on modem and everything.
Then back to 3 bars. Then red again. Then 3 bars. Then... Yep, error 3254. Currently dead at 19:14

Last edited: