Rain Tower Location: PM me your Cell ID's

OneKnight

I might have found a way to locate the Rain tower that you are connected to if you are wondering where to point your external antenna.

PM me your Cell ID, and I will reply with the tower location.

It can be found under Settings >> System >> Device Information.

Look next to 'CELL_ID:'

Spaj

I might have found a way to locate the Rain tower that you are connected to if you are wondering where to point your external antenna.

PM me your Cell ID, and I will reply with the tower location.

It can be found under Settings >> System >> Device Information.

Look next to 'CELL_ID:'
Hi

For which device is this? Don't see it in the Hauwei B315 menus.

OneKnight

This is for the B618.

Anyone with a B315 care to explain how to find it?

LOTR

Thanks for the feedback OneKnight - appreciate the efforts.

Now I know where my tower is :)

/rep'd

Last edited:

Ashenking1

Only a pleasure!
A bit of feedback. So i moved the router to the closest point in direction of that tower and it made a minimal improvement overall . Don't think im going to fiddle anymore until I decide to install an antenna.

bdt

Executive Member
Hi OneKnight, thanks for the location. Which looks feasible (of the order of ~two km in a line), and the terrain could well back that up. Also, I can go past there in the morning and eyeball the site to check for certain what's there ('cos, frankly, I always knew the old iBurst towers on sight; I'm curious to see what their LTE kit looks like).

And now a question: why don't we all add the tower locations given here (no need for people's addresses, we're frankly not the sites other people are interested in) so we can make it easier for any/everyone to get a heads-up on where to look?

DTBA

Expert Member
The main reason vodacom/cellc/rain/mtn does not make tower locations openly available is for theft reasons.Sort of dumb but yea

bdt

Executive Member
The main reason vodacom/cellc/rain/mtn does not make tower locations openly available is for theft reasons.Sort of dumb but yea
You mean those dirty great big towers with all that crap on top and the wee little building with monster fencing/razor wire, they think those are somehow hidden from view? ...yea, real bright.

OneKnight

Okay, so you guys probably want to know how I managed to get this information.

Very easy, actually.

1. Register an account with the following website:

https://unwiredlabs.com/home

2. Log in with the details that they send you by email.

(They use a token as password.)

3. Change the 'Request' drop-down box to '1 Cell - LTE' as in the image:

OpenCell ID API.jpg

4. Make the following changes to the listed fields:

MCC >> 655

MNC >> 19

LAC >> 27

CID >> Enter your Cell ID here.

5. Click on the 'Submit' button and see the result.

If it doesn't give you a result with the MNC set to 19, change it to 01. Rain and Vodacom seems to share equipment in some places.

This of course also works with the other networks as well.

MNC 01 >> Vodacom

MNC 02 >> Telkom

MNC 07 >> Cell C

MNC 10 >> MTN

MNC 12 >> MTN

MNC 19 >> Rain

MNC 38 >> Rain

MNC 73 >> Rain

MNC 74 >> Rain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code#South_Africa_-_ZA

I don't think the last three MNC's of Rain are relevant here, but I listed them just for the sake of interest.

The 'accuracy' field should also provide a clue as how accurate this result is. The higher the number, the wider the area of the location of the identified cell is, which makes it more difficult to locate the tower.

Any developers know if this API can be integrated into an app to make it easier for forumites to locate their towers?

Last edited:

kennym

A great help thank you!! RAIN gave me a rough idea where my tower was and this site confirmed it.