Rain Uncapped - Slow connectivity to all Google services

lotus123

So, I noticed this issue for the first time over the weekend. I added the IPV4 and IPV6 google dns to my connection settings and problem has gone.
Tried this and so far so good.

Thanks!

Edit: Stopped working soon after. Dang it.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
anybody getting teal mode light?
seems my rain has decided to go on holiday, shows internet access and 3 bars of signal,

but a teal (not green) mode light on a B618 modem.

BlackJack1301

So I got a VPN last nigh, went with Nord VPN and guess what, no problems so far, all google related things opens up quickly like normal. I only have a month paid so far so will see...

You can use it on 4 devices, also on my phone and so far seems to work as well.

mrlgm007

So I got a VPN last nigh, went with Nord VPN and guess what, no problems so far, all google related things opens up quickly like normal. I only have a month paid so far so will see...

Useing the same provider still no issues my side.

MrMaph

Hahaha South African ISPs are very bad, none of them is flawless they all have issues. Now we have to pay for VPNs just to get gmail and google search. The others are expensive, fibre is select suburbs only.

Vodacom is intentionally not doing a good job on managing Rains network just to hurt rain so that it won't loose more customers to rain.

BlackJack1301

Hahaha South African ISPs are very bad, none of them is flawless they all have issues. Now we have to pay for VPNs just to get gmail and google search. The others are expensive, fibre is select suburbs only.

Vodacom is intentionally not doing a good job on managing Rains network just to hurt rain so that it won't loose more customers to rain.
Wouldn't surprise me yes, all i know is this works for me, tested on multiple devices now. So yeah, another expense but what else is new.

MrMaph

Wouldn't surprise me yes, all i know is this works for me, tested on multiple devices now. So yeah, another expense but what else is new.
I understand using VPN but for me it creates a security issue as my most important accounts and google services must be accessed with an IP i am confident in and is not managed by other people to prevent possible security breaches from shared IPs.

I think rain also sees this, in the latest mybroadband article about rain, the ceo had no reason to mention the fact that vodacom manages all aspects of their 4G network. I think they are going public with this to show vodacom that they see its sabotage and they are starting to go public about it. Remember vodacom was warning rain about giving people high speed unlimited internet. Rain has to small of a customer base for this to be network congestion, so there is a force behind the sudden deterioration of rains network as it went from the best network quality to becoming on par with cellc in less than a year.

Thankfully they manage their 5G internally so it might not disappoint as much as their 4G.