Rocketnet - feedback?

Azimuth

Expert Member
I’ve been with RocketNet for ~16 months and have never looked back. I was always impressed with the offer on the table: free high-end router, subsidised install and the 6 months “term”. My 6 months came and went, sold the router (unused) and continued to be a happy camper.

My household does about 1TB a month with Netflix, ShowMax, PSN and a couple other services (we don’t have DSTV). No torrents or downloads.

Moving to Cape Town soon and plan to sign up with RocketNet once again...they’ve got a loyal customer.

Edit: Vumatel network in Johannesburg.

Last edited:

wingnut771

Executive Member
I’ve been with RocketNet for ~16 months and have never looked back. I was always impressed with the offer on the table: free high-end router, subsidised install and the 6 months “term”. My 6 months came and went, sold the router (unused) and continued to be a happy camper.

My household does about 1TB a month with Netflix, ShowMax, PSN and a couple other services (we don’t have DSTV). No torrents or downloads.

Moving to Cape Town soon and plan to sign up with RocketNet once again...they’ve got a loyal customer.
Everybody fails to mention what network and area, because all your comment says to me is you're blessed to be on an uncongested route, or, all the services you use are locally cached, so packet loss issues, if you had them, wouldn't show.

RocketNet-Rep

Company Rep

Please do PM us and we will contact you shortly to ensure that the transition is as seamless as possible.

avr-rulez

Expert Member
@ Ronald-RocketNet
You need to re-look that decision as I was about to sign with you guys on a 100mb line and Octotel - It is not fair that trenching has only reached my neighbourhood now and now you expect us new subs to pay R1500?

RocketNet-Rep

Company Rep
@ Ronald-RocketNet
You need to re-look that decision as I was about to sign with you guys on a 100mb line and Octotel - It is not fair that trenching has only reached my neighbourhood now and now you expect us new subs to pay R1500?
Good day, please do note that this was not a decision that took place overnight, RocketNet sat down for weeks on end sitting with the accounting department and Octotel and finally came to the decision on charging an Activation fee.

For a more detailed response kindly send an E-mail to support@rocketnet.co.za and we will provide you with several reason for our activation fee implementation.

JOEY_8

Interested in getting Rocketnet via Vumatel.
How's the performance during 18:00 - 00:00? Any packet loss to international services?
I don't want to have the same issues that I'm having with my current setup.

abudabi

Expert Member
Interested in getting Rocketnet via Vumatel.
How's the performance during 18:00 - 00:00? Any packet loss to international services?
I don't want to have the same issues that I'm having with my current setup.
What international services would that be?

I've twitched through that time slot quite successfully in the past. (not an every day twitcher )

Browsing and downloads are never a problem for me (vuma trenched in jhb)

JOEY_8

What international services would that be?

I've twitched through that time slot quite successfully in the past. (not an every day twitcher )

Browsing and downloads are never a problem for me (vuma trenched in jhb)
Thanks. That's great.
Services such as Twitch.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Good day, please do note that this was not a decision that took place overnight, RocketNet sat down for weeks on end sitting with the accounting department and Octotel and finally came to the decision on charging an Activation fee.

For a more detailed response kindly send an E-mail to support@rocketnet.co.za and we will provide you with several reason for our activation fee implementation.
This prevented me from going with RocketNet as well.
Rather silly considering your competitors don't charge an activation fee on Octotel. Seems strange your competitors can get it right with Octotel but RocketNet can't. Your accounting department clearly isn't very effective if they sit down with Octotel for weeks on end and after all that time come out shafted. What a waste of weeks.

As a person that would prefer the option of having the freedom to bail on pathetic service after signing up and move to a competitor providing a better service, this is just a tactic RocketNet uses to ensure the consumer is trapped.
When service levels go belly up as they inevitably will in such a competitive market, the consumer is is the one left trapped with sub-par service at exorbitant pricing. This model has played out time and again.

Last edited:

STORMERSFAN

This prevented me from going with RocketNet as well.
Rather silly considering your competitors don't charge an activation fee on Octotel. Seems strange your competitors can get it right with Octotel but RocketNet can't. Your accounting department clearly isn't very effective if they sit down with Octotel for weeks on end and after all that time come out shafted. What a waste of weeks.

As a person that would prefer the option of having the freedom to bail on pathetic service after signing up and move to a competitor providing a better service, this is just a tactic RocketNet uses to ensure the consumer is trapped.
When service levels go belly up as they inevitably will in such a competitive market, the consumer is is the one left trapped with sub-par service at exorbitant pricing. This model has played out time and again.
Totally agree..if a isp is confident of their services they will not TRAP a client for 6 months..I was trapped for 18 months and it was not fun..but at least that was because of installation fees and not an activation fee!Cool ideas ultimately get my money because they have said to me..we are paying your actvation fee so thetefore we have to make sure we keep u happy so that u.dont wanna leave us..and no 2..we make a return on our investment!

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
@ Ronald-RocketNet
Same.
I stumbled across the activation fee because I was about to contact them to ask about switching from my current ISP.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Totally agree..if a isp is confident of their services they will not TRAP a client for 6 months..I was trapped for 18 months and it was not fun..but at least that was because of installation fees and not an activation fee!Cool ideas ultimately get my money because they have said to me..we are paying your actvation fee so thetefore we have to make sure we keep u happy so that u.dont wanna leave us..and no 2..we make a return on our investment!
Companies like this think consumers are brain dead sheep and can be easily taken advantage off while they reap the benefits. Consumers need to express their discontent around tactics like the ones RocketNet adopts and choose more wisely.

I don't care that their competitors are a hundred bucks more expensive a month. At least I'm not shelling out upfront costs and feel locked in. After 2 months if I'm not happy I at least would have the option of walking away without losing money already handed over.