Rocketnet - feedback?

isie

Honorary Master
So Afrihost is coming to the party now.

Would it be worth it to pay R50 less per month on Afrihost and moving to them from Rocketnet ? Vumatel 10/2 line , R499 compared to R549.

Not experiencing any problems.
And don't forget about the 5k worth the freebies :)
5k if you installing , if just moving its 2 or 3 months subscriptions free and the connection fee and a router.
also afrihost is R647 for a 10/2 line not R499
R499 is th 8/2
1563994187683.png

Last edited:

joshuatree

Expert Member
Anyway , we are still paying too much for fibre either way.

To Rocketnet's credit though - the only price increase so far has been due to the Vumatel entry level line that went from 4/1(R455) to 10/2(R549).

STORMERSFAN

But there isn't a cancellation fee - its on month 2 month?
Only think is i know you pay your subs up front so that might be it?
Correct.. So in my case.. I'm moving to Afrihost On1st Aug but didn't give cisp a calendar months notice.. So I paid cisp to release line on 1st and then claim it back from ah in the form of a credit

Leno

For the slow speeds basically ANY website not in ZA.

www.google.com is taking at least 20+ seconds for me.

For the other ports I was testing against my server in the US, changing Apache ports to the random ones to see if the website opened. No speed issues.
Google.com (and the majority of the other major intl sites) is served from their local CDNs, did you try your server on the HTTP/SSL ports (assuming you dont use cloudflare etc)

One possibility is perhaps a problem at or between you and NapAfrica where I assume most of the CDN's are located, then the local sites that are working may use JINX/CINX - just a theory.

JOEY_8

But there isn't a cancellation fee - its on month 2 month?
Only think is i know you pay your subs up front so that might be it?
Just the Clawback fee of R1500 if you cancel before 6 months.

JOEY_8

That's on Afrihost
That's for Rocketnet. Not sure why that has to be paid since we already paid for activation and the router. I may be wrong about this, not completely sure.

Afrihost is R999 if you cancel within 6 months

isie

Honorary Master
That's for Rocketnet. Not sure why that has to be paid since we already paid for activation and the router. I may be wrong about this, not completely sure.

Afrihost is R999 if you cancel within 6 months
Odd unless that is generic from when they had some promotion?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I was half contemplating that Afrihost deal myself but then remembered I've already tried them twice in the past and both times were highly disappointing.

I must say I have it pretty good with Rocketnet, the connection has been extremely solid (coming from CoolIdeas where they were continuously fiddling with things and making my connection drop). The speed during the day is excellent and the only times I struggle is during the 8pm to 11pm zone where the issue is most likely with Octotel and not Rocketnet.

Can't really complain with this:

Local

London

electrofreeze

Expert Member
I was half contemplating that Afrihost deal myself but then remembered I've already tried them twice in the past and both times were highly disappointing.

I must say I have it pretty good with Rocketnet, the connection has been extremely solid (coming from CoolIdeas where they were continuously fiddling with things and making my connection drop). The speed during the day is excellent and the only times I struggle is during the 8pm to 11pm zone where the issue is most likely with Octotel and not Rocketnet.

Can't really complain with this:

Local

London

what does your international tests look like in peak time say between 7 - 8 pm

Attachments

isie

Honorary Master
This was discussed on the 13th of Jan 2019 on this thread. So it still applies.
very odd - i only went with them because of no clawback - anyway i'm way past that now so no issue with me leaving - not that i am planning yet

neoprema

Expert Member
Oh come on i cant even download Wireshark properly tonight, getting 10kbps on a 100mbps fibre line! :mad::mad: