RTX 3080

Genisys

Honorary Master
of course they are. What I'm saying is they didn't pick some obscure game that nobody knows.

Nor did they make silly claims in the way nVidia did for the RTX 3000 launch.

At the end of the day, and as always, we won't know until we get official benchmarks.

I can't see them fudging the numbers too much though, too easy to prove them wrong when people get the cards.
What silly claims did NVidia make? They seem to not have lied and made any "silly" claims?

Genisys

Honorary Master
I don't know that I'd say they're nit-picked - they're essentially the popular, new games that people are playing.

Nice thing is, SAM will just be there at all times if you have a Ryzen 5000 CPU and enable the option in the bios.
AMD for CPU (more expensive than Intel), AMD for GPU ($50 saving over NVidia). What could possibly go wrong?

Elon

I'm buying a Radeon GPU. It's 2020 and nothing makes sense anymore.
What silly claims did NVidia make? They seem to not have lied and made any "silly" claims?
I assume he's referring to the obscure "double the RTX 2080 Ti" performance claim nVidia made which in the end we found out only applied to ray tracing in Minecraft. I don't remember exactly but it was some nonsense along those lines.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Generally, everyone should be happy with this announcement. As things are standing now I am likely to go Ryzen 5000 and 5800 XT.

I am only questioning how much AMD’s benchmarks relied on SAM. SAM is their big marketing push, and we still need to see their ray-tracing results to compare it to ‘RTX’. To enable SAM you need to be 'currently' on Ryzen 5000. What does an entry level B550 and Ryzen 5000 series combo cost nowadays?

Lastly, availability, because going by most reviewers who had a Q&A with AMD, AMD didn't directly address a possible supply issue. There may be uncertainty.

Anyway, I am expecting a Super announcement in early Jan.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Generally, everyone should be happy with this announcement. As things are standing now I am likely to go Ryzen 5000 and 5800 XT.

I am only questioning how much AMD’s benchmarks relied on SAM. SAM is their big marketing push, and we still need to see their ray-tracing results to compare it to ‘RTX’. To enable SAM you need to be 'currently' on Ryzen 5000. What does an entry level B550 and Ryzen 5000 series combo cost nowadays?

Lastly, availability, because going by most reviewers who had a Q&A with AMD, AMD didn't directly address a possible supply issue. There may be uncertainty.

Anyway, I am expecting a Super announcement in early Jan.
5600X is launching at $299, B500/X570 aren't too bad. Not really any more expensive than going the Intel route. you said 5800XT but I assume you mean 6800XT?

I'm amped for benchmarks to get real ideas of the performance. Hopefully Gamers Nexus will do one using Ryzen 3000 and Ryzen 5000 CPUs so we get a real idea of the improvements.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
AMD Smart Access Memory can only be enabled with AMD Ryzen 5000-series and 500 boards. Nobody still understands what Infinity Cache is exactly. According to AMD Rage Mode only added 1-2% performance and that Smart Access Memory did the rest, they also stated that Smart Access Memory is greatly dependent on the game.

Considering the specific requirements for the latest chips and boards, it might be an additional special hardware addon on the cpu that has special instruction sets for processing graphics like the old 3dnow! instruction set, that allows the new cpu to feed directly into the cache memory and requires less or no processing from the gpu, but is done at a hardware and driver level that doesnt need developers to specifically code programs with.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Considering the specific requirements for the latest chips and boards, it might be an additional special hardware addon on the cpu that has special instruction sets for processing graphics like the old 3dnow! instruction set that the new cpu can feed directly into the cache memory and requires less or no processing from the gpu, but is done at a hardware and driver level that doesnt need developers to specifically code programs with.

AMD explicitly said it is dependent on the title in the Q&A with the media.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
AMD explicitly said it is dependent on the title in the Q&A with the media.

Oh well, didn't watch the amd announcement or read media commentary. So its still dependent on the developer to enable, but that aside it still feels like a hardware level cpu oriented instruct set for the gpu, maybe a pre-render prefetch to prep the gpu for the next render. 128mb cache feels too small as a gpu exclusive cache for rendering purposes, and is definitely too big to be cpu register level type speed cache for the price.

Edit: I might be mixing up infinity cache and smart access memory

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
5600X is launching at $299, B500/X570 aren't too bad. Not really any more expensive than going the Intel route. you said 5800XT but I assume you mean 6800XT?

I'm amped for benchmarks to get real ideas of the performance. Hopefully Gamers Nexus will do one using Ryzen 3000 and Ryzen 5000 CPUs so we get a real idea of the improvements.

Yes, I meant 6800 XT. Yes, we will need to wait on the benchmarks. Listening to the Keynote again, SAM is a big deal. They mention it, a lot.

Damn, my Vega 64 is ageing quickly now. I checked the other day, I see the V64 with the latest drivers have now overtaken the 1080 by 5%. Took them a while…

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Well, that was pretty neat. AMD's engineering teams are doing some great work - both 5000 series CPUs and 6000 series graphics cards are built on the same 7nm node as their predecessors which makes the performance gains that much more impressive (the CPU side especially as the new GPU's have more compute units and a higher power budget than the 5700XT was allowed).

It's nice to have options again :thumbsup:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Well, that was pretty neat. AMD's engineering teams are doing some great work - both 5000 series CPUs and 6000 series graphics cards are built on the same 7nm node as their predecessors which makes the performance gains that much more impressive (the CPU side especially as the new GPU's have more compute units and a higher power budget than the 5700XT was allowed).

It's nice to have options again
I am surprised by the 6900 XT, ignoring SAM and RM. I didn't expect both the 6800 and 6800 XT, and I thought the 3080 competitor would be priced the same. I expected the 3080 competitor to be a little less, but I need to see stock vs stock benchmarks which we didn't get tonight.

I think the 6800 is priced too high. Now I wonder where the 6700 will be positioned and where the entry to mid ranged GPUs be priced at?

The possibility that AMD may also experience stock issues may send GPU prices to the moon.

Yes, it is good to have options, but to be honest AMD have given that since the 5700/XT which did very well in the market. It may not have been high-end, but it was accessible.

The Voice

Honorary Master
RIP nVidia? AMD's new cards seem to wipe the floor with anything Team Green has just put out.

The Voice

Honorary Master
I am surprised by the 6900 XT, ignoring SAM and RM. I didn't expect both the 6800 and 6800 XT, and I thought the 3080 competitor would be priced the same. I expected the 3080 competitor to be a little less, but I need to see stock vs stock benchmarks which we didn't get tonight.

I think the 6800 is priced too high. Now I wonder where the 6700 will be positioned and where the entry to mid ranged GPUs be priced at?

The possibility that AMD may also experience stock issues may send GPU prices to the moon.

Yes, it is good to have options, but to be honest AMD have given that since the 5700/XT which did very well in the market. It may not have been high-end, but it was accessible.
At $80 more than the 3070, it's priced perfectly because it's not only a faster card, it also has double the VRAM.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
At $80 more than the 3070, it's priced perfectly because it's not only a faster card, it also has double the VRAM.

At this stage, everything remains to be seen in real-world benchmarks. The R9 390/X, Vega 56/64 and Vega 7 were down this road.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I read the keynote notes, and though the bench system is listed, and various tests are shown they don't actually list the RTX 3090...

They have the RX 6900 XT, RX 6800XT and a Radeon RX 6000 Series Card, as well as the RX 5700 XT, but they only list the RTX 3080 and 2080 Ti. They also give a big warning against overclocking as it may void warranties :laugh: I also see the motherboard they used is an AM4 engineering sample.

Did they elaborate on this?

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    106.7 KB · Views: 17

The Voice

Honorary Master
I read the keynote notes, and though the bench system is listed, and various tests are shown they don't actually list the RTX 3090...

They have the RX 6900 XT, RX 6800XT and a Radeon RX 6000 Series Card, as well as the RX 5700 XT, but they only list the RTX 3080 and 2080 Ti. They also give a big warning against overclocking as it may void warranties I also see the motherboard they used is an AM4 engineering sample.

Did they elaborate on this?

View attachment 942205
Also saw something mentioned that you'll get the best out of the new cards with one of the 5x00 CPUs. Sneaky.