Samsung Galaxy S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to use Resurrection for a few days to check it out, the reception issue I think is mainly MTN, since a few other colleagues also have reception issues.

On the Siyah topic: for some reason when I used the latest Siyah kernel on a CM9 nightly it wouldn't save the governor settings. Even when the 'set on boot' tickbox was ticked. Ah well, at least it works well with Resurrection Remix ;P

I have also flashed Resurrection 1.9.1 and having a few issues with signal but could be just VC their signal sucks where i'm at now but before I Flash a new modem will see if it improvesv in areaswhere there is known to be a good signal!...Sometimes it's fast sometimes no signal at all...
 
I'm going to use Resurrection for a few days to check it out, the reception issue I think is mainly MTN, since a few other colleagues also have reception issues.

On the Siyah topic: for some reason when I used the latest Siyah kernel on a CM9 nightly it wouldn't save the governor settings. Even when the 'set on boot' tickbox was ticked. Ah well, at least it works well with Resurrection Remix ;P

Are you perhaps using the pegasusq governor? It renders all governor changes useless, and is the default governor for v3.2.5.X upwards. Only SetCPU allows you to modify the governor settings when the pegasusq governor is used.

Also- if not using the pegasusq governor, are you changing the settings via ExTweaks? It generally is much better to use than the ROM performance settings. I have also experienced the ROM not always keeping the changes, even with the "set on boot" option ticked.
 
Are you perhaps using the pegasusq governor? It renders all governor changes useless, and is the default governor for v3.2.5.X upwards. Only SetCPU allows you to modify the governor settings when the pegasusq governor is used.

Also- if not using the pegasusq governor, are you changing the settings via ExTweaks? It generally is much better to use than the ROM performance settings. I have also experienced the ROM not always keeping the changes, even with the "set on boot" option ticked.

Ahh, that makes sense. Now that you mention it I'm sure it always defaulted to pegasusq after reboot.

On Resurrection I've only used ROM settings to fool around with the governor, at least it's saving correctly now. I used ExTweaks to disable one of the cores though, and so far everything seems fine.
 
Ahh, that makes sense. Now that you mention it I'm sure it always defaulted to pegasusq after reboot.

On Resurrection I've only used ROM settings to fool around with the governor, at least it's saving correctly now. I used ExTweaks to disable one of the cores though, and so far everything seems fine.
What are the advantages of disabling the cores?...
 
What are the advantages of disabling the cores?...

We will see, this is the first time I've done it. I'm trying to figure out if there is gain in battery life without compromising performance. So far I haven't even noticed one core being down.
 
We will see, this is the first time I've done it. I'm trying to figure out if there is gain in battery life without compromising performance. So far I haven't even noticed one core being down.
Thanks for this! probably longer battery life?
 
anyone care to enlighten me as to this whole "rooting" scenario?

How do I flash?
Where do I get ROMs
And what are benefits drawbacks?

Thanks,
 
anyone care to enlighten me as to this whole "rooting" scenario?

How do I flash?
Where do I get ROMs
And what are benefits drawbacks?

Thanks,

The short answers are:

You use Odin to flash with instructions all over the web incl JacquesR site (and post earlier in this thread)
Roms are available all over the web, but a good starting place is XDA
Benefirs - Open phone to be administered the way you and and more apps available from the market
Drawbacks - hmmm ... none for me ... someone else?
 
The short answers are:

You use Odin to flash with instructions all over the web incl JacquesR site (and post earlier in this thread)
Roms are available all over the web, but a good starting place is XDA
Benefirs - Open phone to be administered the way you and and more apps available from the market
Drawbacks - hmmm ... none for me ... someone else?

Drawback, after your first flash, you become addicted to your new sport, and up goes your counter, then you try too many roms and become confused of which is the best one.....
 
Drawback, after your first flash, you become addicted to your new sport, and up goes your counter, then you try too many roms and become confused of which is the best one.....

LOL!!!! ..... True

I was curious and checked my flash counter ....
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NO
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL

Just goes to show ... when you start flashing from the phone, the counter doesn't add up!
 
You checked your flash counter? I just installed TriangleAway. Don't even know how to check it...
 
The short answers are:

You use Odin to flash with instructions all over the web incl JacquesR site (and post earlier in this thread)
Roms are available all over the web, but a good starting place is XDA
Benefirs - Open phone to be administered the way you and and more apps available from the market
Drawbacks - hmmm ... none for me ... someone else?

Much faster, smoother experience. Many cool and easy to employ tweaks. Your phone looks much cooler! More options for theme-ing, although I don't do that, the phone still looks frikking awesome. Your ROM, if actively developed (i.e. like CM9 or Resurrection Remix) uses the very latest firmware updates of Android and the manufacturer - i.e. even faster more stable experience.

Many times the hardware functions better as well, like the camera app works better/smoother. You might also get better wife/3g/gsm reception, voice call quality. You have access to unbelievable mods, like the tablet ui mod, but I am happy with the 'phone' style mod anyways.

Sometimes, less often than usual, you might get bad reception, but that's way you make a backup of your ROM in CWM, which you can restore (a very easy process).
 
You checked your flash counter? I just installed TriangleAway. Don't even know how to check it...

This is why I don't use TriangleAway ...

!!! DO NOT USE THIS APP ON ANY DEVICE NOT LISTED BELOW !!!

!!! THIS IS A DANGEROUS OPERATION AND COULD POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR DEVICE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. A USB JIG IS PREFERRED IF YOU HAVE ONE !!!
( and by brick I mean brick - only a board replacement or a JTAG unit will be able to save you, don't mess with boot(loader) stuff unless you really mean it! )

I use a jig when I remember to ...

Switch off phone. Press Vol down, power, home -> get into download mode. press Vol up and read first couple of lines. If you use triangle away it should be "NO"
 
Don't know if I'm imagining things, but since moving to this ROM I've had pretty bad reception issues. Not sure if I like it more than CM9 at the moment.

Also: I really hate the Google Play Music thing, CM9's is so much better.

What baseband are you on? It could just be the modem?

Honestly, I love the Play Music app. Simple and clean. But the MIUI one is awesome :)

Anyway- here is a link to most of the modems. Just download the zip, and flash it in recovery.
 
Thanks for this! probably longer battery life?

I can vouch for this. 2+ days of battery life with average usage running in single core mode. This was before pegasusq, which seems pretty good thus far.

I can post a screenshot of battery life... Trying to figure out how though LOL
 
I can vouch for this. 2+ days of battery life with average usage running in single core mode. This was before pegasusq, which seems pretty good thus far.

I can post a screenshot of battery life... Trying to figure out how though LOL

Not so sure myself I'm sure someone here can help ;-)
 
What baseband are you on? It could just be the modem?

Honestly, I love the Play Music app. Simple and clean. But the MIUI one is awesome :)

Anyway- here is a link to most of the modems. Just download the zip, and flash it in recovery.

How does one check to see what modem is currently installed...just in case you flash a modem and it's worse! :-(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X