Samsung Galaxy S3

Just joined the S3 club. This device is everything that the reviews and you peeps say it is.

It does feel significantly smaller than my Note which is taking a bit of adjustment.

Off to find a root guide ;)

Welcome to the club mr Mike... Just chuck CM10 on it immediately!
 
Welcome to the club mr Mike... Just chuck CM10 on it immediately!

Thanks dude.

I went straight away to get CM10 and saw there are audio issues still. There were audio issues on the Galaxy Note CM10 (A2DP more specifically) which prevented me from using it until it was fixed.
Seeing audio issues for the S3 version too made me stop in my tracks. Bummer.

For it on my GALAXY Tab 10.1, Galaxy Note, Asus Transformer and HTC HD2. To put it on my S3, A2DP had to work 100% unfortunately.

Another thing I wondered about was the reading detection thing on the S3. I love that the screen stays on while reading - and I read a lot on my cell. Is this incorporated into the CM9 and CM10 ROMS.

I have rooted and done CWM. Also downloaded CM10. So all good to go. Just pausing before the flash until I know my A2DP will work. Camera too (see there are crash issues still).

EDIT: Also flashed the Siyah kernel. Favorite kernel from S2 days so could not resist :)

EDIT2: Could not find anything conclusive related to A2DP not working in CM10 Preview in the discussion thread so reckon I will go for it. Nandroid done.

EDIT3: Confirmed. A2DP does indeed work on CM10 Preview. What a bonus.
 
Last edited:
Is there anything in Touchwiz that I'd really miss if I flashed a new ROM onto my phone?
 
No ;)

TW is a horrible launcher, although it seems much better on the S3.

Agreed, I have given TW a chance but I prefer Go Launcher Ex. It feels like you can customise more. I used to load it on each ROM I flashed with on my Desire.

What launcher does CM10 come with? ADW, Holo ?
 
Agreed, I have given TW a chance but I prefer Go Launcher Ex. It feels like you can customise more. I used to load it on each ROM I flashed with on my Desire.

What launcher does CM10 come with? ADW, Holo ?

Cannot remember the name of the default on CM10. I flash, load titanium, restore my stuff and Nova takes over. I see the default for a whole 10 minutes or so.
 
Another thing I wondered about was the reading detection thing on the S3. I love that the screen stays on while reading - and I read a lot on my cell. Is this incorporated into the CM9 and CM10 ROMS.
.

Smartstay EX on Playstore (old eyespy) [Bit of a hit and miss apparently]
 
Hi

S3 keeps giving an ota software update popup.
Should I update? Pros and cons?
data loss? Size of update file?
 
Hi

S3 keeps giving an ota software update popup.
Should I update? Pros and cons?
data loss? Size of update file?

Its about 85MB, do it,its really quick and painless. Biggest thing I noticed was a brightness slider in the pull down notifications.

No data loss for me.
 
Its about 85MB, do it,its really quick and painless. Biggest thing I noticed was a brightness slider in the pull down notifications.

No data loss for me.

Sounds easy enough. How do I backup data on the S3? Or are the contacts synched to google anyway?
 
So how are the CM10 previews doing?

I'm far too lazy to go through the XDA discussion thread :P
 
So how are the CM10 previews doing?

I'm far too lazy to go through the XDA discussion thread :P

On 9 and about to flash 10.

Biggest issue I am having is a memory leak which is known. Reboot my phone twice a day to flush. Worth putting up with considering the smoothness and quality of the ROM.

Also have the odd FC with the camera. Minor annoyance.

Everything else seems fine.
 
Its about 85MB, do it,its really quick and painless. Biggest thing I noticed was a brightness slider in the pull down notifications.

No data loss for me.

are you able to apply this update if your phone is already rooted? I've tried but keeps failing with message: Invalid command argument…failed to verify whole-file signature….signature verification failed. So I downloaded the update once again thinking that it could have been a corrupt download but yet I receive the same message in recovery mode. Downloading over a stable WIFI connection, Running stock rom, rooted with CWM v5.5.0.4

also seem to be having issues with the internal speaker / microphone when answering some calls. Makes this loud distorted sound as if its bust. Usually when this occurs it automatically switches to speaker phone and then you are not able to hear the caller. Very irritating at times! making outgoing calls is fine. Software bug perhaps? Wondering if this update resolves that issue as well…

anyone else experiencing similar issues with their devices?
 
On 9 and about to flash 10.

Biggest issue I am having is a memory leak which is known. Reboot my phone twice a day to flush. Worth putting up with considering the smoothness and quality of the ROM.

Also have the odd FC with the camera. Minor annoyance.

Everything else seems fine.

Yes the memory leak has been around for a while, hopefully it's fixed with this latest release
 
I'm on preview "10-20120804-EXPERIMENTAL-i9300-CODEWORKX" the latest one "06" dropped a call and rebooted the phone. Waiting for the next release.
 
I've recently updated to Omega 11.1 with Siyah Kernel and everything runs smooth and stable. Never had a minutes problem nor any FC's.

Can recommend that ROM if anyone is considering rooting and upgrading.
 
I wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing CM10 nightlies appearing.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X