Samsung Galaxy S3

Is there not come thing cloud based etc that we can use across platforms? My setup is, Outlook on OSX, iPad, iPhone and Galaxy SIII. At the moment the galaxy is out of the loop and not syncing with anything properly. Earlier suggestions in this thread mention programs to sync movies music, etc. not what I am after. I want contacts, calendar, email, etc
 
Is there not come thing cloud based etc that we can use across platforms? My setup is, Outlook on OSX, iPad, iPhone and Galaxy SIII. At the moment the galaxy is out of the loop and not syncing with anything properly. Earlier suggestions in this thread mention programs to sync movies music, etc. not what I am after. I want contacts, calendar, email, etc

For me, I use Google Apps. My domain is hooked in with it so don't have a raw @gmail.com account.
In Outlook I use the Google Apps add-in. Makes it work just like MS Exchange.

Contacts, Emails, Tasks, Calendar, Apps, etc... all sync across all devices with a simple login to the device.

Movies and music I don't want auto syncing as I use devices specifically. My tablets I watch movies but don't listen to music. My phones I listen to music but don't watch movies.

You can also use Airsync by DoubleTwist to do your syncing across devices for media.

On my PC I use iTunes to manage my music and sync it with iSyncr
Why iTunes you ask. Well mainly because of the playlist setups. At the time, Windows Media Player did not sync playlists. It may now, but iTunes does the job so I use it.

EDIT: Apps I don't want syncing across all devices because like my movies/music, I don't use all apps on all devices. So I am good with that being manual.
When I setup a new phone and it starts downloading my apps from the Play Store, I can the downloads, then manually select what I want.
 
Last edited:
I see there are official JB 4.1.2 ROMs out - has anyone downloaded an official 4.1.2 ROM yet?

The latest is the Italy Vodafone release.

I'm just wondering if I flash to this version from the leaked middle east ROM (which apparently was rooted), will lose my root capability?
 
I have loaded the official Polish 4.1.2 onto my unrooted SGS3 without any issues.
 
Ok, so I flashed the official UK 4.1.2 ROM, then rooted my device again, but i'm eager to try a custom ROM.

does anyone have a good 4.1.2 custom ROM they recommend?
 
Ok, so I flashed the official UK 4.1.2 ROM, then rooted my device again, but i'm eager to try a custom ROM.

does anyone have a good 4.1.2 custom ROM they recommend?

Try omega v34. Excellent rom. Fast, stable and great battery life! Omega v35 I believe still has some issues.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1356300931657.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356300931657.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 204
So I just installed Chrome mobile, thought it might be nice cause it will sync with my desktop chrome. But how is it in terms of data usage, I've always used Opera Mini. Is Chrome any where as good as this?
 
Try omega v34. Excellent rom. Fast, stable and great battery life! Omega v35 I believe still has some issues.

Thanks Neetz, I'll check it out.

I can uninstall Samsung "bloatware" on the official ROM using Titanium Backup, has anyone done this? Is it recommended?
 
Thanks Neetz, I'll check it out.

I can uninstall Samsung "bloatware" on the official ROM using Titanium Backup, has anyone done this? Is it recommended?

I have come to enjoy a lot of the bloatware actually.
Since S3 and Note 2, I tend to run with a rooted stock ROM.
 
So I just installed Chrome mobile, thought it might be nice cause it will sync with my desktop chrome. But how is it in terms of data usage, I've always used Opera Mini. Is Chrome any where as good as this?

It's a full browser (no compression), so should be higher usage. But IMO its worth it and a full browser experience is part of the smartphone experience.
 
I have come to enjoy a lot of the bloatware actually.
Since S3 and Note 2, I tend to run with a rooted stock ROM.

Freeze, don't uninstall. Kies and kies WiFi are high ram users, apparently. So I'd freeze those. Then all the hub apps are pointless. The help app.

You can freeze anything, if you a problem just defrost.

I'd also checkout Omega if you're going that route. Basically you can choose what bloatware to keep.
 
Try omega v34. Excellent rom. Fast, stable and great battery life! Omega v35 I believe still has some issues.

I wiped data / factory reset and then installed omega 35. Really enjoying it so far and giving me good battery life. I also find that after flashing a rom it takes a few charging cycles to settle to see battery life.

When you wipe the issue regarding contacts not being displayed doesn't occur. Even if it does it simple to resolve.

Omega also offers default, remove bloatware or custom installation so you can choose what the rom comes with.

What is your screen time on your battery screen shot?

I did at some point plug my phone in to copy media then did a nandroid backup. You can see it in the screen shot.
 
Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't add the screen shots of battery life in omega 35 in the previous post.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1356338115891.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356338115891.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 173
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356338134667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356338134667.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 174
I wiped data / factory reset and then installed omega 35. Really enjoying it so far and giving me good battery life. I also find that after flashing a rom it takes a few charging cycles to settle to see battery life.

When you wipe the issue regarding contacts not being displayed doesn't occur. Even if it does it simple to resolve.

Omega also offers default, remove bloatware or custom installation so you can choose what the rom comes with.

What is your screen time on your battery screen shot?

I did at some point plug my phone in to copy media then did a nandroid backup. You can see it in the screen shot.

Updated pics attached. Amazed at how the battery still going strong since my last post earlier this morning.
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1356345098359.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356345098359.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 241
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356345114257.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356345114257.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 230
Lost track of this thread after page 40 something.

Dont know if this has been discussed :
Galaxy S3 ‘sudden death’ (mainboard?) issue affecting some owners
In case you own a Galaxy S3 and have experienced a strange event – the phone turning off and not rebooting without any explicable reason – fret not, you’re not alone in this and apparently Samsung is aware of the situation.

A post on Reddit that’s currently amassing over 150 comments points us towards a special xda-developers discussion entitled “Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread.”

Started just over a month ago, that thread had 61 pages and 601 posts at the time of this writing, detailing various instances in which the Galaxy S3 suffered from such a sudden death experience.

The XDA thread has 56 pages (so far) [at the time of his comment] of people whose mainboards have suddenly died. The devices seem to last between 150 and 200 days before failing. Samsung are replacing them under warranty whether or not people have rooted the devices or installed non-standard firmware.

There’s speculation that the NAND is becoming corrupted and failing. Worryingly, Samsung are replacing the mainboards with the same revision so this may just be putting the problem off for another 6 months or so.

It happened to my S3 last week and I’ve never rooted or installed anything other than the official 3UK Samsung firmware, first ICS then JB. Samsung haven’t officially acknowledged that there’s an issue, but both the guy I spoke to in the authorised repair centre and the chap in the Samsung warranty call centre have said they’ve seen this issue a lot lately.

Tl;Dr – S3 mainboards dying for no reason, Samsung replacing mainboards for free, but no new hardware revision so it might just happen again.

“My phone died today. Was chugging along till 2AM yesterday night and then I dozed off with the phone connected to wall charger. Woke up and saw the green light on but the phone was unresponsive. I 'long pressed' the on/off button and the phone switched off (no vibration, so it probably died then). I pressed the on/off button again, no response. Removed the battery and tried again. Nope. Tried another charger, no response,” said a user at the XDA thread.

“Same thing happened to my girlfriends S3. After updating to JB about 3 weeks ago from Vodafone Australia, the phone started rebooting and crashing a lot with very sudden battery drains,” said another user. “I assumed it was due to the JB update, but based on this thread it appears she may have been getting the early symptoms of sudden death.”

Samsung is said to be aware of the issue and although it is yet to comment on the anomaly, the South Korean tech giant is reportedly replacing mainboards of all the affected devices under the product warranty with no questions asked.

However, some still speculate that “it is nothing more than a stop-gap procedure that will ultimately lead the device to the same fate in a few months time.”


http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-sudden-death-mainboard-issue-141783/

seems like the mb on some units packs up after 6 months

Im asking cos i have an upgrade in Jan and its either the S3 or Xperia T
 
Last edited:
I haven't seen it discussed either but probably because it has not affected any one on here.

You wonder how widespread this really is? 30 million units sold of this device so even if 100,000 (and that number is obviously a pure thumb suck with no factual basis) had faulty motherboards that is a failure rate of 0.33%. I wonder what most tech manufacturers regard as an acceptable number?
 
Updated pics attached. Amazed at how the battery still going strong since my last post earlier this morning.

What is on? Mobile data (3G/2G), wifi, whatsapp, gtalk, (other services), push services...

If you have services running, then good battery life.

I average around 4% per hour drain and I have a *** load of services running.
 
What is on? Mobile data (3G/2G), wifi, whatsapp, gtalk, (other services), push services...

If you have services running, then good battery life.

I average around 4% per hour drain and I have a *** load of services running.

Exchange, whatsapp, gtalk, Wi-Fi constantly on, 3G when travelling. Using siyah kernel 1.84.

Just made 3 days plus with 12% still remaining. Now that's awesome! :)
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1356368943393.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356368943393.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 278
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356368984183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356368984183.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 272
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X