Samsung Galaxy S8

MEIOT

Expert Member
Absolutely love the S8 - so much so that I simply can't justify ditching it for the marginal differences on the S10 and definitely not for the less marginal differences on the S9

I'll skip this new gen S series and wait for something a lot more exciting or next gen and affordable folding phones.

Last edited:

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Absolute love the S8 - so much so that I simply can't justify ditching it for the marginal differences on the S10 and definitely not for the less marginal differences on the S9

I'll skip this new gen S series and wait for something a lot more exciting or next gen and affordable folding phones.
Agreed, I can upgrade the 30th of next month but this is the first time I don't feel the need to upgrade at all. We just received Pie too so it even somewhat feels like I did get a new phone.

rph72

Executive Member
Thor I picked up a 3 month old S8 for just under R4k, perfect condition.
The S8 is still such a great phone, and the prices will drop now with the S10..

I just got the Android 9 update on Voda, no problems so far.

Also parts are cheaper to order in direct from Amazon.
E.g a new charging board is R190 on Amazon, here over R1k..
My son took over my S8+ and is super happy with it. Also updated to Pie.

He had my previous S6 Edge.

MEIOT

Expert Member
You can't go wrong. The S8 is still a fantastic phone.
Agreed.

ONLY gripe I have with the S8 (and this extends to the S9 and S10 too im sure) is that the front glass is so easily cracked when dropped.

Small price to pay though if one is less clumsy than I am :laugh:

Dropped mine thrice already - repaired twice already. Upcoming repair is going to be DIY

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Agreed.

ONLY gripe I have with the S8 (and this extends to the S9 and S10 too im sure) is that the front glass is so easily cracked when dropped.

Small price to pay though if one is less clumsy than I am

Dropped mine thrice already - repaired twice already. Upcoming repair is going to be DIY
Or you get a UAG case when you buy the phone.

VikashLurker

I love my S8. It's 2 years old and I just got pie so it still feels new. Best part about it is the size.

All the newer phones are wider than I would like. So I'll be sticking with it for a while now.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member

Nithan15

Expert Member
Anyone who had a screen replacement done confident in their IP68 rating? Mine was changed last year by Platinum Repairs by my insurer still to afraid to test its water resistant quality :)

cavedog

Honorary Master
Anyone who had a screen replacement done confident in their IP68 rating? Mine was changed last year by Platinum Repairs by my insurer still to afraid to test its water resistant quality :)
It would depend on how they reapplied the adhesive. If it's applied properly right round and it stuck properly like it should then it will be fine. If not and there is a small gap water will get in.

Charlie21

So I've updated my S8 to Android Pie sometime last week (Vodacom network) .

However, ever since the update my mobile data disconnects on its own.

The 4G symbol would show but the arrows which represent upload and download does not load, as it previously does. I'm able to receive calls so can't be a network issue. Once I realise this I need to turn my mobile data off and on but then after a while it does not seem to be connected then have to follow the same process.

This happens when I connect to my wifi at home and upon leaving the house with the mobile data still on (shows 4G) but then I would want to browse the web it says I'm disconnect but I'm not. This also after a while when the mobile data is only on then I would want to check something on the web and then it says I'm disconnected but my mobile data has been on the whole time.

Anyone else had this issue after the update.

mercury12

Expert Member
Agreed.

Small price to pay though if one is less clumsy than I am :laugh:

Where did you get the screen repaired? I broke my s8+ screen and Im being quoted 4.5k to replace it! Not sure if its worth repairing for that price.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Where did you get the screen repaired? I broke my s8+ screen and Im being quoted 4.5k to replace it! Not sure if its worth repairing for that price.
You have options depending on what exactly it is that's broken.

If it's the glass over your screen you have one of 2 options that don't cost an arm and a leg:

1. Go the DIY route. Order a glass replacement from Amazon/Bangood/Ali-Express, watch a couple youtube vids. Attempt the repair on your own. This option will cost you less than R350

2. Take it to an off the grid repair center. You shouldn't have a problem finding these places. Usually manned by an Indian or Pakistani with a third of the price you were quoted.

I went option 2 for the first 2 times I cracked my glass.
3rd time round i'm going the DIY route. Still waiting for my glass replacement from China though.