Samsung Galaxy S8

marioat1

Expert Member
Anybody know where I can find a cheap front glass replacement for a S8 - locally sourced?

People want to charge an arm and leg just to replace the cracked glass. LCD is functioning perfectly.
Saw a ton of DIY vids online and ....looks easy enough
Problem is the lcd can be damaged when removing the glass, hence the inflated quotation for the repair

MEIOT

Expert Member
Hey guys, screen cracked this weekend any recommendations on best / cheapest place to replace the screen ?
Screen or front glass? Usually it's the front glass which costs virtually nothing to purchase yet repair shops charge an insane amount to repair the front glass. I'm in the same boat. Going the DIY option.

Purchased a replacement front glass from AliExpress for R160, it ships with the entire kit including the clear adhesive needed.

Will take some pics of my repair and post here when my replacement glass arrives.

Only problem is shipping time. I only expect it to arrive in a month :(

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
I am still on my S6, eish.

What does a new S8 go for these days, can one buy it?

I think the S8 should still be a considerable upgrade from the S6?
(S10 is a bit expensive as hell.)

cavedog

Honorary Master
My S8 is 2 years old now and Vodacom direct phoning me for upgrade.... I'm thinking of just getting a new screen rather than upgrading. This phone is still pretty decent if you add a decent size SD card and upgrade it to the latest android it's still a very decent phone. I think I'd rather cancel my Vodacom contract and go MTN prepaid. I find that Vodacom coverage when I travel to Richards Bay from PTA is a disaster anyways.

I have no idea what they retail for new now but the S8 did recently get android 9 update and it's still a pretty decent phone after 2 years I still feel like I'm holding a premium newly released device. My phone just needs a service maybe like a new battery and definitely a new glass screen.

Last edited:

LinuxMan

Expert Member

Thor I picked up a 3 month old S8 for just under R4k, perfect condition.
The S8 is still such a great phone, and the prices will drop now with the S10..

I just got the Android 9 update on Voda, no problems so far.

Also parts are cheaper to order in direct from Amazon.
E.g a new charging board is R190 on Amazon, here over R1k..