SARS E-Filing 2018

juan86

Call the complaints line and ask them they have been helpful so far and no harm in asking
Soi just called now, my refund should take place on Wednesday.. just waiting for a system update run to verify the refund date

stevovo

Expert Member
I submitted my return on 30 July and got a notice to submit supporting documents. I attached med aid certificate, irp5 and retirement fund certificate. The efiling site said the same day that they received the documents but I haven't gotten any more updates from SARS. Do I need to do anything or is it just a case of waiting?

juan86

I submitted my return on 30 July and got a notice to submit supporting documents. I attached med aid certificate, irp5 and retirement fund certificate. The efiling site said the same day that they received the documents but I haven't gotten any more updates from SARS. Do I need to do anything or is it just a case of waiting?
I think its just a case of waiting untill the 21 business days time frame passes, then you should take it up by lodging a complaint..

jezzad

Submitted my return on the 10 July
Submitted amendment on the 14th August
Submitted supporting docs on 14th August
Completion letter received on 18th August
Waiting on payment

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Called for an update just now. I lodged the complaint on Thursday morning, and since nothing changed on my SOA since then I decided to call them again. According to the lady on the phone they have 21 working days to complete it but they "already accepted the case" today. So they started working on it. No idea what that means, but that's what I have. Yay.

juan86

Called for an update just now. I lodged the complaint on Thursday morning, and since nothing changed on my SOA since then I decided to call them again. According to the lady on the phone they have 21 working days to complete it but they "already accepted the case" today. So they started working on it. No idea what that means, but that's what I have. Yay.
im glad.. they have really been sooooooo slow this year

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Yeah I don't know what to do further. They say they have 21 working days, and if they're not done by then they'll be done in another 21 working days. That's 42 working days they have just to compare two pieces of paper I sent them. TWO. It's also two months, meaning and more and more considering being a dick about insisting they pay me interest on the outstanding amount.

Deadmanza

Honorary Master
Submitted my return on the 10 July
Submitted amendment on the 14th August
Submitted supporting docs on 14th August
Completion letter received on 18th August
Waiting on payment
Wow that was super fast, hopefully mine is similar....

Moto Guzzi

Did you get a Survey from SARS to complete-? For me alarm bells are ringing when any entity moves to surveys to tell them how good or bad they perform, for me an indications theres a disconnect between the boardroom and the floor. The entity should know by itself how good it is going, who would know better, unless......

Last edited:

juan86

Yeah I don't know what to do further. They say they have 21 working days, and if they're not done by then they'll be done in another 21 working days. That's 42 working days they have just to compare two pieces of paper I sent them. TWO. It's also two months, meaning and more and more considering being a dick about insisting they pay me interest on the outstanding amount.
Well.. my things are looking good.. got a new SOA today which shows refund date is tomorrow.. so im pretty happy

Solitude

Expert Member
I received a verification of assessment! I wonder what happens now. At least there is progress.

Joleen123

Did everything on 3rd July. Upload docs on the 3rd as selected for verification. 21 days long up. Phoned 17/08/2018 They will escalate. Still to day nothing is done.

Elax

SARS just sent me a letter saying that they're disallowing 34k of medical expenses, which is actually listed on a medical aid certificate as members responsibility to pay.... Calling complaints once again

Elax

SARS just sent me a letter saying that they're disallowing 34k of medical expenses, which is actually listed on a medical aid certificate as members responsibility to pay.... Calling complaints once again
Would i need to supply proof of payments made for 5 pages worth not paid by my medical aid? Slips etc?

acidrain

Expert Member
Would i need to supply proof of payments made for 5 pages worth not paid by my medical aid? Slips etc?
Likely yes and maybe they might ask for the invoice to see if it is a valid expense. Reason for valid is last year I was declined an 18k expense for vision correction surgery as it was deemed cosmetic.

lowellZA

I just wrote a normal affidavit. "Company I worked for was liquidated, I got no IRP5 and can't get one now". Uploaded under Supporting Docs when I was asked for them (hit for verification).
UPDATE: So I submitted the outstanding returns via eFiing about a week ago and specified that I wasnt working.
None of them were selected for verification.
Phoned today for an update and apparently my 2017 submission is still being verified and the 2018 is done.
The lady also said that the reason why the 2018 hasnt been paid out is because I have to go in and verify my details at "Maintenance".
Ironically when I check my banking details in eFiling they show as valid :unsure:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Likely yes and maybe they might ask for the invoice to see if it is a valid expense. Reason for valid is last year I was declined an 18k expense for vision correction surgery as it was deemed cosmetic.
Vision correction surgery is allowable. This is the requirement:

Expenses paid by a taxpayer during the year of assessment to any duly registered –

(i) medical practitioner, dentist, optometrist, homeopath, naturopath, osteopath, herbalist, physiotherapist, chiropractor, or orthopaedist for professional services rendered or medicines supplied to the person or any dependant of the person;

(ii) nursing home or hospital or any duly registered or enrolled nurse, midwife or nursing assistant (or to any nursing agency in respect of services of such nurse, midwife or nursing assistant) in respect of the illness or confinement of the person or any dependant of the person; or

(iii) pharmacist for medicines supplied on the prescription of any person mentioned in subparagraph (i) for the person or any dependant of the person,

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
UPDATE: So I submitted the outstanding returns via eFiing about a week ago and specified that I wasnt working.
None of them were selected for verification.
Phoned today for an update and apparently my 2017 submission is still being verified and the 2018 is done.
The lady also said that the reason why the 2018 hasnt been paid out is because I have to go in and verify my details at "Maintenance".
Ironically when I check my banking details in eFiling they show as valid :unsure:
2017 is holding it back and will hold it back for a long time. The Commissioner said that 2018 verifications will be prioritised over old years.

lowellZA

Thanks for the info @Vrotappel . In that case I’ll probbaly forget about both refunds until the 2017 one is done and then go into the branch to sort out this banking details thing