SARS E-Filing 2018

KingBel

Expert Member
Just called SARS call centre and was told that I need to come in to the nearest branch to verify my banking details with supporting docs yet the SOA clearly states not selected for audit or verification :mad:

Wonder how long the wait is going to be after verification takes place and when will the refund be paid out....
Your SOA will only tell you if your return was selected for verification or audit. Once the bank details are verified, you should receive your refund within 7 working days.

ubercal

Expert Member
Still waiting for my refund even thought the mandatory 21 working days has passed.When i phone them the call center agents agree that i should be getting a update as the 21 days have lapsed but nothing happens.Very frustrating.

Cius

Expert Member
Today was a calendar month since I filed. Logged in now and I see while there are no new notices the Status's have been updated. Where SARS Status used to be Audit, it now says "Return - Assessed", and there is a little info sign I can hover over which states that I should get a new notice of assessment within 2 weeks. More worryingly my eFiling status says "Correction filed", which means they have changed how much I am getting I am guessing and I am also guessing that means I get less. Anyways, lets see what comes of it.

Today was a calendar month since I filed. Logged in now and I see while there are no new notices the Status's have been updated. Where SARS Status used to be Audit, it now says "Return - Assessed", and there is a little info sign I can hover over which states that I should get a new notice of assessment within 2 weeks. More worryingly my eFiling status says "Correction filed", which means they have changed how much I am getting I am guessing and I am also guessing that means I get less. Anyways, lets see what comes of it.
Yup... correction means you'll be getting less.. in my case a whole 1/3 of what I should have gotten back.

Went in to the Sars branch in Durban to verify my banking details and was told by the consultant that my refund will be paid within 7 working days which is tomorrow and on Thursday last week I received an sms stating I need to go to the Sars branch to verify banking details.

I hope i dont have to wait any longer for my refund.

Where do I fill in, income I have received but have not received the IRP 5 for, on efilling?

I have gone to a police station and have a signed statement that my employer is not giving me my IRP5, scanned as a backup document.

Yup... correction means you'll be getting less.. in my case a whole 1/3 of what I should have gotten back.
Like always, waited until yesterday to do my return. Have Company car and for the first time decided to file for tax rebate with logbook as while I had logbook always, bad advice told me not to claim. Previous years refunds were 200-500. This year 11.5k and was expecting audit. Haven't been selected for audit. now just hoping they pay within 7 days.

For you folks, what range of refunds are you guys expecting? Curious

Cius

Expert Member
My refund was about 4 months worth of what I pay in tax, so a large amount. However I have a child with a severe genetic condition and so get the tax disability form. The amount to be refunded was roughly equivalent to my additional medical expenses for her for the tax year.

My refund was about 4 months worth of what I pay in tax, so a large amount. However I have a child with a severe genetic condition and so get the tax disability form. The amount to be refunded was roughly equivalent to my additional medical expenses for her for the tax year.
I am in the same boat with a child who has a disability... they cut my claim by 2/3 and that's just how it is. Not much I can do, seeing that the tax consultant is now ignoring my requests for follow-up

I am in the same boat with a child who has a disability... they cut my claim by 2/3 and that's just how it is. Not much I can do, seeing that the tax consultant is now ignoring my requests for follow-up
What are tax benefits for a person with a disability?

A taxpayer who has or whose spouse or child has a disability in accordance with the criteria set out in the ITR-DD form and confirmed by the medical professional, can claim 33,3% of the qualifying out-of-pocket medical expenses, which include disability related expenses, paid during the relevant year of assessment. SARS has prescribed a list of physical impairment or disability related expenses in the form of a published list. The expense does not automatically qualify as a deduction by mere reason of its listing. The expense must also be necessary for the alleviation of the restriction on a person’s ability to perform functions of daily living. For example, if a person in a wheelchair, who has no visual impairment, buys a hand-held GPS, the cost of the hand-held GPS will not qualify as a deduction even though the expense appears in the list. This is because the hand-held GPS is not directly connected to this person’s disability. But in the case of a person who is, for example, visually impaired the cost of the hand-held GPS may qualify. There is a detailed list of the expenses you can claim.

The taxpayer is also entitled to the Medical scheme fees tax credit in respect of contributions made to a registered medical scheme. For further information on this, kindly refer to the ‘Guide on the determination of medical tax credits’.
http://www.sars.gov.za/ClientSegments/Individuals/Tax-Stages/Pages/Tax-and-Disability.aspx

Cius

Expert Member
What are tax benefits for a person with a disability?

A taxpayer who has or whose spouse or child has a disability in accordance with the criteria set out in the ITR-DD form and confirmed by the medical professional, can claim 33,3% of the qualifying out-of-pocket medical expenses, which include disability related expenses, paid during the relevant year of assessment. SARS has prescribed a list of physical impairment or disability related expenses in the form of a published list. The expense does not automatically qualify as a deduction by mere reason of its listing. The expense must also be necessary for the alleviation of the restriction on a person’s ability to perform functions of daily living. For example, if a person in a wheelchair, who has no visual impairment, buys a hand-held GPS, the cost of the hand-held GPS will not qualify as a deduction even though the expense appears in the list. This is because the hand-held GPS is not directly connected to this person’s disability. But in the case of a person who is, for example, visually impaired the cost of the hand-held GPS may qualify. There is a detailed list of the expenses you can claim.

The taxpayer is also entitled to the Medical scheme fees tax credit in respect of contributions made to a registered medical scheme. For further information on this, kindly refer to the ‘Guide on the determination of medical tax credits’.
http://www.sars.gov.za/ClientSegments/Individuals/Tax-Stages/Pages/Tax-and-Disability.aspx
Thanks for this. Makes sense then.