SARS E-Filing 2020/21

Arthur AnymoreDonuts

I was also disappointed in some of what SARS disallowed me. I am still getting a decent refund, but this year was a much worse expeirance that previous years. They even questioned my donation claim, one that I have been making for years and for which I have always given them the PBO numbers.
Also had donations that held up my payout, but at least it was accepted eventually.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Also had donations that held up my payout, but at least it was accepted eventually.

Mine was accepted as well, it just seems like SARS is using a fine toothed comb this year. The PBO was happy to give me a tax certificate this year, but I had never had to ask before, as SARS had never asked.

ToxicCorra27

What do you do if you still have nothing showing up on the E-filling system. Unable to do any returns.

8BitLife

Effing SARS. Did my return beginning of July. When I did it my bank details were not on the system for some reason but I completed those details when I submitted my returns. Due a refund and clearly says in statement of account that I have not been selected for audit or verification. Bank account is labeled as valid.

Yet a month later I have still not received my refund so I call them. Turns out I need to submit supporting documentation and verify my bank details. There was no communication under correspondence letting me know I need to submit supporting documentation and eFiling has my bank account as valid!!!!

Last edited:

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Effing SARS. Did my return beginning of July. When I did it my bank details were not on the system for some reason but I completed those details when I submitted my returns. Due a refund and clearly says in statement of account that I have not been selected for audit or verification. Bank account is labeled as valid.

Yet a month later I have still not received my refund so I call them. Turns out I need to submit supporting documentation and verify my bank details There was no communication under correspondence letting me know I need to submit supporting documentation and eFiling has my bank account as valid!!!!
Was there no warning when you started to enter your banking details? Iirc they inform you when you click on the banking details tab that you would need to verify new banking details should it change.

8BitLife

Was there no warning when you started to enter your banking details? Iirc they inform you when you click on the banking details tab that you would need to verify new banking details should it change.
There was a 'might' have to. But that is why I double checked. I googled how to confirm if your banking details are fine and came across a YouTube vid from Andre Bothma where he said if your bank account is labeled as 'valid' all is good. My bank account was labeled as valid. So I assumed all is fine. At no point was I directed somewhere to submit a proof of bank or instructed to do so apart from the initial warning of I 'might' have to do so and if I have to, they will request it. Never got a request to do so.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
There was a 'might' have to. But that is why I double checked. I googled how to confirm if your banking details are fine and came across a YouTube vid from Andre Bothma where he said if your bank account is labeled as 'valid' all is good. My bank account was labeled as valid. So I assumed all is fine. At no point was I directed somewhere to submit a proof of bank or instructed to do so apart from the initial warning of I 'might' have to do so and if I have to, they will request it. Never got a request to do so.
Thanks to the amount of fraud from SARS employees they had to unfortunately revert to validating all changes in banking details. I know previously you had to go to the branch to have it verified but not sure what the process is now.

8BitLife

Thanks to the amount of fraud from SARS employees they had to unfortunately revert to validating all changes in banking details. I know previously you had to go to the branch to have it verified but not sure what the process is now.
You have to set up a telephonic appointment then go somewhere else to submit your docs (proof of bank, certified copy of ID, proof of address and photo of yourself holding your ID). That is how far I have gotten for now. Appointment is for next week.
And I appreciate what you are saying, but some better communication would have been appreciated.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Done today. I get the statement of account and it shows the refund I expect. Is there something more to do now, or do I just wait for SARS to pay me?

Just look when is the expected refund date! As easy as that

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Just look when is the expected refund date! As easy as that

I'm not seeing that on my statement of account.

Weirdly I also see that in the transaction details, SARS says that my original assessment was done on 1 August, when I did it on 3 July. SARS also says that my additional assessment was done on 1 September, which is in the future.

Koosvanwyk

Well, well, well... after exactly one 1month and 2 days, having been selected for audit (home office first-timer) and requested to provide photos halfway during the process - my case was finalized just now with changes.

They have disallowed internet, cellphone and low-value equipment (Printer) - I have no krag to fight but I'll be damned if I don't start engaging in tax avoidance practices. Even more sore are my shares vesting today which the same taxman will be helping themself to 45%.

F*** this sh*t!
Cell phone cost and data is not deductible (if you are a salaried employee) nothing to fight them on there as it is specifically prohibited ito the ITA

8BitLife

I'm not seeing that on my statement of account.

Weirdly I also see that in the transaction details, SARS says that my original assessment was done on 1 August, when I did it on 3 July. SARS also says that my additional assessment was done on 1 September, which is in the future.
Had same thing. Pulled a statement of account in July and it gave me a date of 1 August as my original assessment date. Anyway, found out today the reason I haven't gotten my refund yet was because I needed to submit supporting docs to validate my bank account even though eFiling said my bank account was valid!!!!

Mythical-

Ok so if you really had enough .... Phone 0860121216...lay a complaint and get an Complaint Case number ...give them 5 working days....No Luck or answers....Submit a complaint to the Tax ombudsman http://www.taxombud.gov.za/Documents/complaint-form.pdf.
I logged a complaint and got this a few days later:
1628148362696.png

Apparently two hour waiting times and unhelpful contact center personnel are within SARS service levels. I don't have energy to complain to the ombudsman so will leave it at that,

hellfire

Honorary Master
Yup, and I was audited. Got confirmation on Monday that the audit has been completed and no amendments to be made.
Did they ask for photos?
Or any other verification of exclusive work from home space?