SARS E-Filing 2020/21

r4nd0m

What I have found during my recent 6 month "battle" with SARS (to correct RA amount) is that they have different internal systems outsourced to different providers and it takes them a while to sync at times. Yours also could be one of those data points that didn't work as you got return but other system is probably not in sync.
Thanks for the perspective. It would explain a lot if they've structured (read fractured) their processes this way.

Weird part is when my incident was escalated (after 21 working days - no audit), they could not tell me the next deadline. "Just wait for SARS" they said. It's a joke man.

Mazdo

Thanks for the perspective. It would explain a lot if they've structured (read fractured) their processes this way.

Weird part is when my incident was escalated (after 21 working days - no audit), they could not tell me the next deadline. "Just wait for SARS" they said. It's a joke man.
Similar thing happening to me.

Submitted September (with WFH claim), they requested additional docs and I submitted the following day. Escalated 3 times since then with no definitive timelines.

I received my refund yesterday but they requested even more supporting docs at the same time and everything still appears as in progress on the site.

Not sure why the refund got processed before they were happy with all the documents, just going to keep pestering them until it's officially all closed out on the site.

KingMikel

Expert Member
Are there no repercussions for SARS with them being in constant breach of their 21 working day SLA?

I'm sitting on day 28, which is much less than most, but this is a common occurrence.

I wonder if a class action lawsuit is an option.

Crayons

Expert Member
Are there no repercussions for SARS with them being in constant breach of their 21 working day SLA?

I'm sitting on day 28, which is much less than most, but this is a common occurrence.

Sue their asss boi

Veroland

Executive Member

Mine took more than 5 months.... They just create new case numbers the whole time then the 21 day sla starts over again...

surface

Honorary Master

Sue them and get a free audit check every year.

surface

Honorary Master
Submitted all the documents on the 14th of December and still waiting...
That sucks, I suppose they picked you for audit? I got refund within 1-2 working days and wasn't asked to submit any documents.

soror88

I submitted my return on November 8, then submitted all the documents on November 9 as I was selected for verification. SARS owes me some money. Since, no feedback from SARS. I checked my most recent SoA, SARS did an ''electronic refund'' which was reversed the same day on Dec 29. I don't know what to do... Any suggestions?

Sehcaep

I submitted my return on November 8, then submitted all the documents on November 9 as I was selected for verification. SARS owes me some money. Since, no feedback from SARS. I checked my most recent SoA, SARS did an ''electronic refund'' which was reversed the same day on Dec 29. I don't know what to do... Any suggestions?
Could be that your bank account is invalid.

Sehcaep

He said "SARS did an ''electronic refund'' which was reversed the same day on Dec 29." I am assuming banking details would be correct?
Could be yes or he is sitting with two bank accounts on his profile or he is being kicked out for another audit. When we called SARS, we were told that the clients banking details are invalid or need verification.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Also still awaiting feedback on documents loaded.

Edit in late Dec 2021. Guess 21 working days. But know of someone waiting since late October 2021 for response.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Also still awaiting feedback on documents loaded.

Edit in late Dec 2021. Guess 21 working days. But know of someone waiting since late October 2021 for response.
Also still waiting on a response for documents loaded

soror88

Could be yes or he is sitting with two bank accounts on his profile or he is being kicked out for another audit. When we called SARS, we were told that the clients banking details are invalid or need verification.
Thanks all for your responses. I only have one bank account registered with SARS at their branch in August 2021 when I was registering as taxpayer last year for the first time. I am not an SA citizen and moved here for a job assignment last year.

When I go on my e-filing profile, I cannot display my banking details, although this info together with the bank statements were submitted to SARS in-person when I was registering as taxpayer.

I have just requested a call back from SARS - hope they will return my call request.

Bundu

Expert Member
Hi guys! I haven't read any posts here, so apologies if this has been discussed.

Has anybody had the experience where SARS accuses you of not reporting crypto gains?

This happened to me yesterday (via my tax advisor) - SARS says I made R1.33m crypto profits that I didn't declare....... now they want me to pay the taxes on that.

Although I regularly trade JSE listed equities, I have never bought/owned/sold any crypto.

I did an affidavit at the cops to that effect and handed it to my tax advisor - let's see what happens....

Lukcydog

Hi guys! I haven't read any posts here, so apologies if this has been discussed.

Has anybody had the experience where SARS accuses you of not reporting crypto gains?

This happened to me yesterday (via my tax advisor) - SARS says I made R1.33m crypto profits that I didn't declare....... now they want me to pay the taxes on that.

Although I regularly trade JSE listed equities, I have never bought/owned/sold any crypto.

I did an affidavit at the cops to that effect and handed it to my tax advisor - let's see what happens....
Did SARS provide info as part of the accusation?

Saba'a

Executive Member
SARS delaying responses and thus payments because they broke? Or want to rip one off and max amount of tax they can get from one.

I see their collections went down substantially for 2020/21 tax year.

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
SARS delaying responses and thus payments because they broke? Or want to rip one off and max amount of tax they can get from one.
My wife has been waiting over 2 months for her refund. She finalised her tax at the same time as a collegue and they were paid in December already :(

Bastards.
I see their collections went down substabtially for 2020/21 tax year.

That's what happens when you chase the high and middle classes out of the country.

Last edited: