SARS E-Filing 2020/21

surface

Honorary Master
That's what happens when you chase the high and middle classes out of the country.
This is possible. How would we know if covid had not much impact on this and this was mainly due to emigration ?

p.s. Genuinely looking to see if there are statistics about this and not some typical intellectual ramadingdong stuff.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Avbob se stoep

My tax lady just sent me the ITA34 and mentioned that the deviation was crypto trading - I doubt they sent her any proof
I imagine that you were selected for the SARS audit and they would have requested that you provide supporting documents. Going out on a limb here, maybe somehow the documentation your tax practitioner provided/uploaded (assuming that she did your taxes) gave an indication of crypto trading. Another option could be that SARS got the information from some kind of third party (they claim to have access to that types of information, don't know how much of it is true though). The next step would be to launch a SARS dispute and submit an NOO (notice of objection) - though I am sure your tax lady has this under control. Would be interesting to see the outcome.

surface

Honorary Master

Covid vs Emigration impact stats ?

Also, you can respond to me and I won't mind really. Just because we don't agree elsewhere, there is no need to be shy. We are supposed to be grown ups here. I think.

Bundu

Expert Member
I imagine that you were selected for the SARS audit and they would have requested that you provide supporting documents. Going out on a limb here, maybe somehow the documentation your tax practitioner provided/uploaded (assuming that she did your taxes) gave an indication of crypto trading. Another option could be that SARS got the information from some kind of third party (they claim to have access to that types of information, don't know how much of it is true though). The next step would be to launch a SARS dispute and submit an NOO (notice of objection) - though I am sure your tax lady has this under control. Would be interesting to see the outcome.
Yes, my tax lady is handling it all - I can't imagine that she submitted any crypto info related to my account - she seemed as surprised as me - In the next two weeks I have to again pass my 2022-02 provisional data onto her

MidnightZA

Expert Member
My wife has job has converted to permanent WFH from the beginning of Dec 21. We dont have a home office yet. I am in the process clearing up one of the spare rooms (currently used as storage) to convert to an office. Currently she is working from a desk in our bedroom.

I have seen a lot of discussion regarding this but I never thought I would ever need to claim WFH expenses.

Firstly, is it worth it to claim? With all the admin and headache of getting audited etc.

That room I am planning to convert to an office is just over 10% of the property sqm. From what Ive been researching now, I can claim 10% proportion for certain expenses like: Bond interest, rates, levies, electricity? I looked at those ones since its easy to prove and its the major costs. Im not too concerned about the cost of cleaning, stationary etc

So if all of those combined are about R5000pm (not actual figure) then she can claim back R6000 (R5000 x 10% x 12) for that tax year?

Saba'a

Executive Member
My wife has job has converted to permanent WFH from the beginning of Dec 21. We dont have a home office yet. I am in the process clearing up one of the spare rooms (currently used as storage) to convert to an office. Currently she is working from a desk in our bedroom.

I have seen a lot of discussion regarding this but I never thought I would ever need to claim WFH expenses.

Firstly, is it worth it to claim? With all the admin and headache of getting audited etc.

That room I am planning to convert to an office is just over 10% of the property sqm. From what Ive been researching now, I can claim 10% proportion for certain expenses like: Bond interest, rates, levies, electricity? I looked at those ones since its easy to prove and its the major costs. Im not too concerned about the cost of cleaning, stationary etc

So if all of those combined are about R5000pm (not actual figure) then she can claim back R6000 (R5000 x 10% x 12) for that tax year?
They delay. So not sure worth it in future.

I am still awaiting payment, never mind confirmation of my tax submissions.

Avbob se stoep

I see you mentioned that she will be working from home permanently. But make sure that she is working from home longer than 6 months. So in this instance she only started Dec 2021 which still falls under the 28 Feb 2022 year end. So essentially she will only be able to claim the expenses for the year ended 28 Feb 2023.

Your calculation is correct. Just make sure that you have some form of proof of your house and room size. Also a letter from the employer confirming that she is working from home.

Depending on how much she makes in the year, it could be worth it. For example if she falls in the lowest bracket you will essentially save R6000 x 18% = R1080 for the year (not having to pay it over to SARS) - so that depends on your situation if you feel that it is worth it.

Sir Bob

Another item to be aware off is the capital gains implications. If you own your property there is a primary residence allowance when you sell your house. If you claim WFH this portion is no longer considered a primary residence and will be considered a capital gain.

Saba'a

Executive Member
See this scamster crap from a normal cell number +27835373776

" There has been a demand from SARS regarding your return. click https://is.gd/aIICPJ as soon as possible and act as started on page to avoid penalties "

Idiots! With spellling errors as well!

Please spam it!

Last edited:

acp

The Past (up to FY20):

Not a single audit/verification since 2012 even with additional rent income and travel etc. over all those years.

The Present (FY21):

Filed 17 Nov and selected for audit (likely due to permanent WFH change). 20 supporting docs submitted right away as I knew it was coming and was prepared.
Additional info requested 10 Dec (house plans) - submitted same day.
No progress since; 37 'working days' later...

Edit: And the irony is I'm claiming for my study which is 3.6% of total sqm...
1643899292393.png

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
The Past (up to FY20):

Not a single audit/verification since 2012 even with additional rent income and travel etc. over all those years.

The Present (FY21):

Filed 17 Nov and selected for audit (likely due to permanent WFH change). 20 supporting docs submitted right away as I knew it was coming and was prepared.
Additional info requested 10 Dec (house plans) - submitted same day.
No progress since; 37 'working days' later...

View attachment 1237860

My wife's one was complete around the same date. They owe her a substantial refund, but still not a cent has come through.

Maybe MyBB should investigate whether SARS is broke :unsure:

Saba'a

Executive Member
My wife's one was complete around the same date. They owe her a substantial refund, but still not a cent has come through.

Maybe MyBB should investigate whether SARS is broke :unsure:
What I suspect because

1. mine is a decent amount but not major.

2. the wife has a nice refund due, not WFH, and still no request even for documents.

Saba'a

Executive Member
WFH impact on CGT. Stopping WFH claim from onwards, will it terminate impact on CGT?

Given that my nephew will be staying in my home office from 2022 onwards.

Do I need to inform SARS or simply stop claiming?

Last edited:

scudsucker

Executive Member
Forgot to file in time. Got a R4 000 fine. But SARS owed me R12 000 so I guess a net win.

Not sure when they will pay out though, I paid in for the fine as soon as I got the notification, and I suppose they don't pay until they get paid.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Forgot to file in time. Got a R4 000 fine. But SARS owed me R12 000 so I guess a net win.

Not sure when they will pay out though, I paid in for the fine as soon as I got the notification, and I suppose they don't pay until they get paid.
They seem broke. No communication for months.

fire2029

Has anyone ever experienced this.

1. I submitted my tax in time
2. SARS then said I am being assessed & needed additional documentation
3. No problem. Submitted the next day
4. They took 4 months to review & then said on 9 Feb that my initial assessment is in order. So I went to pay the assessment.
5. However, they are charging me interest on my initial assessment. WTF.

I thought my assessment is under review. Is this allowed?

Last edited:

Crayons

Expert Member

4. They took 4 months to review & then said on 9 Feb that my initial assessment is in order. So I went to pay the assessment.

View attachment 1242614

Yes comrade, having an assessment under review does not absolve you of your obligation to pay your contribution to the betterment of our country.

Sir Bob

View attachment 1242614
If you look at the assessment letter there should have been a deadline to make payment.