• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Skyfi WISP

Skyfi Guy

Skyfi Guy, please check out my account. My connection keeps dropping...
Have done so;

Please check now for me? we could not connect to the high site ourselves for a few minutes but it is now back online.

I will get technical to give me a report on what happened and will let you know.

Slaught3r

Expert Member
I sincerely hope you guys are busy working on my connection. Having it drop every 3 minutes is not fun, especially seeing as I am working from home today and the interruption is pretty inconvenient...

Skyfi Guy

I sincerely hope you guys are busy working on my connection. Having it drop every 3 minutes is not fun, especially seeing as I am working from home today and the interruption is pretty inconvenient...
Ok spoke to the guys, they are adjusting the frequency for another client that is connected to the same AP that you are; when making these adjustments it unfortunately drops all clients on the AP. once that connection is resolved the drops will stop. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

SharkBait

Executive Member
Wil jy my RAIN router leen en toets daar by jou?

Slaught3r

Expert Member
Ok spoke to the guys, they are adjusting the frequency for another client that is connected to the same AP that you are; when making these adjustments it unfortunately drops all clients on the AP. once that connection is resolved the drops will stop. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
That just sounds counterproductive. How many people are connected to that AP?

Skyfi Guy

That just sounds counterproductive.
That is how the wireless technology works.

Please also take note that you are on a home package; if you choose to conduct business off of that package then you do so at your own risk.

should you require 99.99% up-time then we can offer you a SLA which would include your own exclusive AP and any adjustments required would be communicated to you prior & only carried out with your approval. I could arrange for Sales to discuss the full details with you should you be interested.

Slaught3r

Expert Member
That is how the wireless technology works.

Please also take note that you are on a home package; if you choose to conduct business off of that package then you do so at your own risk.

should you require 99.99% up-time then we can offer you a SLA which would include your own exclusive AP and any adjustments required would be communicated to you prior & only carried out with your approval. I could arrange for Sales to discuss the full details with you should you be interested.
I am very well aware of what package I am on, and as an Infrastructure Architect I am also pretty much well aware of how your technology works. Working in the IT industry I am also aware that some changes are done during operating hours, and I also know that some are done during "downtime".

But thank you kindly for your well thought through response and empathy for the situation.

@SharkBait - please can I have that router ASAP?

Thanks.

Hi Guys, i am in Durban and would be interesting in the 20mbps skyfi account. is there anyone from dbn on here as i am not so confident in this product after reading the above posts. Thanks Yash

SharkBait

Executive Member
Hi Guys, i am in Durban and would be interesting in the 20mbps skyfi account. is there anyone from dbn on here as i am not so confident in this product after reading the above posts. Thanks Yash
You get what you pay for. Are you a high data user? If not, look at Rain LTE maybe?

I have 4 units in my complex that require an internet connection. 10mb is popular with about 200-300gb usage per month for streaming. what is recommend for Durban Sherwood area?

we dont have Telkom infrastructure and fibre is a long way to get here. currently using WISP from bitco but they throttle too much so streaming is not possible.

Absolutely no issues with Skyfi :)

Local speeds on a 6mbps is more than 10mbps

Ping on gaming is better than ADSL, get about 180ms on Rocket League

Would recommend them to anyone :)

Absolutely no issues with Skyfi :)

Local speeds on a 6mbps is more than 10mbps

Ping on gaming is better than ADSL, get about 180ms on Rocket League

Would recommend them to anyone :)
Where are you based? how long have you had the connection for and how far from the dish are you?