Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

Saba'a

Executive Member
I note that when I open my reolink app to view the one camera shows on 2 feeds. The other camera is then missing.

After reset in app. Both RLC 410 5Mp cameras appear.

They are connected via POE and no issues with the wifi Argus 2.

Setup
2 x 810As via poe no issues
1 x Argus 2 via wifi no issues
3 x RLC 410 5mp via poe only 2 an issue
1 x RLC 410 5mp still to be reconnected via poe

The 2 challenging cameras are on IP addresses xx.x.x.55 and xx.x.x.56

The first one xx.x.x.55 shows in both feeds. After a while it will reflect correctly. Or after I reboot the camera appearing in both feeds.

I am using a Dlink 8 port gigabit POE switch. All 5 current POE cameras linked to Dlink POE switch.

Remaining 6th 410 poe camera will be linked to old netgear 4 port switch closer to it.

Update
This issue has disappeared. Not sure why although I moved the two cameras poe cables to different ports in switch.

Last edited:

jdido87

Expert Member
I note that when I open my reolink app to view the one camera shows on 2 feeds. The other camera is then missing.

After reset in app. Both RLC 410 5Mp cameras appear.

They are connected via POE and no issues with the wifi Argus 2.

Setup
2 x 810As via poe no issues
1 x Argus 2 via wifi no issues
3 x RLC 410 5mp via poe only 2 an issue
1 x RLC 410 5mp still to be reconnected via poe

The 2 challenging cameras are on IP addresses xx.x.x.55 and xx.x.x.56

The first one xx.x.x.55 shows in both feeds. After a while it will reflect correctly. Or after I reboot the camera appearing in both feeds.

I am using a Dlink 8 port gigabit POE switch. All 5 current POE cameras linked to Dlink POE switch.

Remaining 6th 410 poe camera will be linked to old netgear 4 port switch closer to it.
Yasis this is my other worry. I get the cameras and then the switch is faulty

Saba'a

Executive Member
Yasis this is my other worry. I get the cameras and then the switch is faulty
Doubt switch is faulty. Some sort of ip conflict maybe or too little power?

Switches are limited to a set amount of power. This Dlink I think is about 80w altogether.

jdido87

Expert Member
Doubt switch is faulty. Some sort of ip conflict maybe or too little power?

Switches are limited to a set amount of power. This Dlink I think is about 80w altogether.
The switch has 36w per port and a max of 96w.

I have a 6545a-UAP. 24v - 0.5A. No idea what this means for the switch.

Saba'a

Executive Member
See link below

So my 810As use max 12W so x2 = 24W
410As use max 10W so x3 = 30W as 4th on another poe switch.

So 54W should be well within total power consumption of my switch.

Also each camera within port's max power.

Edit below wrt to earlier post
Must be some sort of ip conflict. Will consider static ip. Or shift one of 2 problematical cameras to another switch. Have 2 brand new ones to use if I need to.

Update
This issue has disappeared. Not sure why although I moved the two cameras poe cables to different ports in switch.

Last edited:

jdido87

Expert Member
Customs clearance process just completed. More delays now or delivery?

jdido87

Expert Member
Finally got the cameras. I need some advice. Is UTP cable also CCA or bare copper? The websites like Communica don't give sufficient detail and when I call them they do not understand the difference between CCA and bare copper cables. If all else fails will CCA work?

furpile

Expert Member
Finally got the cameras. I need some advice. Is UTP cable also CCA or bare copper? The websites like Communica don't give sufficient detail and when I call them they do not understand the difference between CCA and bare copper cables. If all else fails will CCA work?

I bought solid copper outdoor rated cable for my cameras. Inside the house I have CCA.

Saba'a

Executive Member
CCA will work but not more than 30m (what scoop advised me wrt using the outdoor cca cable for poe camera). My external cat5 is mostly CCA but rated for outside usage.

UTP probably copper but UTP just means not shielded to block interference. IRL terms shielded is irrelevant for home use.

Mal1ce

Did anyone get a bill from DHL for a few thousand when their cameras arrived at customs?

DHL have sent me an invoice for an additional R2500 and change, comprising a R975 "administrative fee" & R1500 "penalty" over and above the R500 odd I've already paid for customs & duty.

Apparently Reolink shipped my cameras using tariff code HS 8525801390 (which Google reveals means "Other telecameras not for special use and other camera components") and now according to DHL Customs it should be TH 8525.80.90. (which I can only find reference to the wording "Other").

reolink_invoice.jpg

Going to lodge a dispute with DHL Customs in the morning, did anyone else get a different tariff code to me?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Did anyone get a bill from DHL for a few thousand when their cameras arrived at customs?

DHL have sent me an invoice for an additional R2500 and change, comprising a R975 "administrative fee" & R1500 "penalty" over and above the R500 odd I've already paid for customs & duty.

Apparently Reolink shipped my cameras using tariff code HS 8525801390 (which Google reveals means "Other telecameras not for special use and other camera components") and now according to DHL Customs it should be TH 8525.80.90. (which I can only find reference to the wording "Other").

View attachment 1086755

Going to lodge a dispute with DHL Customs in the morning, did anyone else get a different tariff code to me?
No ways. Average is about R200 fee (why I must pay a fee as receiver to DHL not sure) and on average customs of about R150 per camera.

My bill for 2 cameras was
1. Other levy charges R56,68
2. Payment deferment risk Advance payment (someone else was Forwarding fee?) R200
3. Import tax R102,30

Seems R200 fee standard on all my previous bills as well.

Saba'a

Executive Member

View attachment 1086755

Same code for my RLC 810As

Just actually looked at the Duty/Vat documentation (a whole zip file) AND the value is bullshit! Eish reolink means well BUT putting one at risk of penalties.

Never ever looked at it before or even knew so many documents.

Saba'a

Executive Member
Certainly looks much better clarity down the road... would be interesting to see how far you can spot number plates etc...

Also glad they FINALLY arrived

Edit: Would you mind doing a short review of the 810 va 410?
Quick review of the Reolink RLC-810A

Quality
The Reolink RLC-810A has some of the best-quality footage that I’ve seen from a security camera. Albeit my experience limited to 720p analogue Hikvision and RLC410s

But licence plates blurred. I have seen it once on a car at my gate (about 10m away from camera), so may be due to light reflection.

Storage
With a 128Gb microSD card (separate purchase), no need for cloud storage either.

Value
The Reolink RLC-810A is a bargain for what you get although those refurbished 410As were truly great pricing.

Installation
Virtually plug and play.

Home automation
Love the ability to stream cameras on google devices eg chromecasts. Just remember to enable under cloud tab option.

Edit
The RLC810A can be upgraded in the android phone app itself.

Last edited:

FNfal

Executive Member

View attachment 1086755

I had the same problem with Post box courier apparently customs said they used the wrong code and i had to pay R1500 penalty , i had been waiting for the camera for four months so i just paid .
This was a PTZ from china not Reolink .
Good luck with the appeal and please let us know how this turns out .
BTW i have two RLC-410 for sale. if any one in Durban wants R1200 used for a week .

Last edited:

Saba'a

Executive Member
Meanwhile my original RLC 810A arrived via Post Office on Friday. Paid only 78.11 as "customs".

Took about 4 months but cheap. Have advised Reolink about arrival. Left it sealed.

Will see what they say. Will they collect it? Or offer it to me for purchase?

Mal1ce

Good luck with the appeal and please let us know how this turns out

Lodged my dispute via email this morning @ 7:30AM, a forum member very kindly sent me their invoice showing the same tariff code as mine which I submitted as evidence along with correspondence from Reolink.

DHL called me an hour ago, apparently they screwed up somewhere along the line and will be paying my R1500 penalty to SARS themselves.

They also waivered their R975 administration fee.

Lastly, it turns out they screwed up the duties amount, so I had to cough up another R200. Still, R200 is better than R2500.

If any forum member gets stuck like I did, PM me and I'll pass you on the contacts I used at DHL and my email correspondence, dispute documentation and evidence.

powermzii

Expert Member
Lodged my dispute via email this morning @ 7:30AM, a forum member very kindly sent me their invoice showing the same tariff code as mine which I submitted as evidence along with correspondence from Reolink.

DHL called me an hour ago, apparently they screwed up somewhere along the line and will be paying my R1500 penalty to SARS themselves.

They also waivered their R975 administration fee.

Lastly, it turns out they screwed up the duties amount, so I had to cough up another R200. Still, R200 is better than R2500.

If any forum member gets stuck like I did, PM me and I'll pass you on the contacts I used at DHL and my email correspondence, dispute documentation and evidence.
That's pretty cool that you manged to get it resolved