So I went to Capitec

Capitec has a facility where an employer can pay one lump sum and it gets transferred to the individuals.
 
Can someone explain to me the negative of using the update temporary card limits feature? I had to change my limit recently, and the permanent limit change costs R1.5, but the temporary change seems to be free. Other than a bit of admin, is it much safer to keep my card limit low and up it when I want to withdraw cash? Is there something that I'm missing here?
 
You can update these online. Seems it's only the withdrawal limit which is set at R5000 maximum. Only time I'll ever need to up this is for a hospital deposit or something so doesn't really bother me.
 
How does it name them then?
It uses the names that was set in the branch.
Or people that want everything to work on every device. Let's see, you have a beautifully designed menu that opens a page in a new address. Somehow you forgot to add the standard link for when javascript doesn't work and just made it "#" everywhere. That's not how you design. When your car's central locking or power steering breaks you still expect to be able to drive it.
A standard HTML site is ideal... (It should be usable with Javascript turned off, it may work better with Javascript turned on...) It tend to end up a lot quicker, and work on all devices, even if you are somehow stuck with only Lynx for some reason... (I haven't tried it in a basic browser / with NoScript, so it might not currently be functional) (And it must not break things like the browser's back button)
 
If you're going to quote clickbait headlines, at least have the courtesy to add some context. "By customer numbers" is a big difference compared to actual financial metrics.
The lack of business accounts is probably the main factor?
 
Good morning folks,

Anybody else having issues with internet purchases such as Paypal or Bundlestars?]]

EDIT: Nevermind, my silly mistake :D
 
Last edited:
I'm fed up to my back teeth with Standard Bank and considering changing to Capitec. How does their online banking compare to Standard Bank. Is it a ball ache to change?
 
I'm fed up to my back teeth with Standard Bank and considering changing to Capitec. How does their online banking compare to Standard Bank. Is it a ball ache to change?

I moved from Standard to Capitec and had no issues. Closing my Standard account was the only nuisance, but once you're free you're free.

- customer service experience in branches much better with Capitec
- never had issues with Capitec's online banking
- Capitec has a nice Android app
- Capitec debit card works with 99% of online purchases

There's only one shortcoming with the debit card, and that's that it doesn't work with recurring PayPal payments. If this somehow effects you in any meaningful way, Capitec now offers a credit card anyway.
 
I'm fed up to my back teeth with Standard Bank and considering changing to Capitec. How does their online banking compare to Standard Bank. Is it a ball ache to change?

The only thing I miss is being able to pay multiple recipients in one go, other than that, not much difference in functionality, only looks.
 
I moved from Standard to Capitec and had no issues. Closing my Standard account was the only nuisance, but once you're free you're free.

- customer service experience in branches much better with Capitec
- never had issues with Capitec's online banking
- Capitec has a nice Android app
- Capitec debit card works with 99% of online purchases

There's only one shortcoming with the debit card, and that's that it doesn't work with recurring PayPal payments. If this somehow effects you in any meaningful way, Capitec now offers a credit card anyway.

The debit card fails only where the merchant has specified that it only accepts credit cards. Otherwise it works anywhere MasterCard is accepted.
 
The debit card fails only where the merchant has specified that it only accepts credit cards. Otherwise it works anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Most stores only state 'credit card' though with regards to payment methods. I've never had an issue with my Capitec debit card, other than recurring charges via PayPal. Even then, an alternative payment method was available and worked fine.
 
I'm fed up to my back teeth with Standard Bank and considering changing to Capitec. How does their online banking compare to Standard Bank. Is it a ball ache to change?

Hardest part for me was leaving Standard Bank. I set up my account at Capitec in minutes, just need an ID and proof of residence. Less than 15 minutes from walking in to walking out

At Standard Bank, I waited an hour to see a consultant. She kept on trying to tell me how bad Capitec is and that I'd never get a car or home loan. I asked her to transfer my funds to my new Capitec account, but they couldn't do that as the system was down. Instead I had to draw the physical cash and walk it across the shopping centre to Capitec.

Capitec has been great for the 2 years I've been with them. I dislike how many transactions cost money. but interest earned more than covers my fees. My card has worked everywhere except EA's Origin Store. For come reason Capitec flagged the transaction as gambling.

Overall, it's so much better than Standard. I only go into a branch for proof of residence or to move my investments.
 
Most stores only state 'credit card' though with regards to payment methods. I've never had an issue with my Capitec debit card, other than recurring charges via PayPal. Even then, an alternative payment method was available and worked fine.
That's the Americans where everybody and their dog has a credit card.
 
Most stores only state 'credit card' though with regards to payment methods. I've never had an issue with my Capitec debit card, other than recurring charges via PayPal. Even then, an alternative payment method was available and worked fine.
And Steam... It works consistently on the second attempt only...

Offline, the main annoyances are toll gates and places requiring embossed cards, like car rental companies...
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X