So I went to Capitec

And Steam... It works consistently on the second attempt only...

Offline, the main annoyances are toll gates and places requiring embossed cards, like car rental companies...

I buy from Steam all the time and have never had an issue.

No tolls in PE so I wouldn't know...
 
Never had an issue with steam. Plus there are a lot of car rental agencies that now accepr the unembossed capitec credit card.
 
And Steam... It works consistently on the second attempt only...

Offline, the main annoyances are toll gates and places requiring embossed cards, like car rental companies...

My Capitec card worked fine on Steam.

Toll gates won't take their debit card, but would take their credit card.

I still find it crazy that car rental companies use such an old school booking system. They could reserve funds online these days, through a card swipe. This won't work on any debit card, but would allow unembossed credit cards to work.
 
I buy from Steam all the time and have never had an issue.

Mine works on Steam, on the second attempt. The first one (almost?) always gets rejected. Going through checkout again, it then works...

(I've also had issues with small top-ups (R7) at Afrihost being rejected... Monthly transactions (And 3G top-ups, which are larger amounts) seems to work though...)

Edit: The Steam transactions are direct ones, not via Paypal, which I have also used in the past.
 
Last edited:
Mine works on Steam, on the second attempt. The first one (almost?) always gets rejected. Going through checkout again, it then works...

(I've also had issues with small top-ups (R7) at Afrihost being rejected... Monthly transactions (And 3G top-ups, which are alrger amounts) seems to work though...)

Edit: The Steam transactions are direct ones, not via Paypal, which I have also used in the past.

That's really weird. Aside from PayPal recurring transactions and direct charges tagged as recurring (very, very uncommon for even recurring charges to be set up that way, and as infrequently, once-off payments can be tagged that way erroneously), I've never had an issue. Having to rerun normal payments isn't right - perhaps visit a branch.
 
Just tried to do a payment on Gog and it repeatedly failed. Resorted to Paypal but couldn't test the card as I already had a balance. Perhaps because it was only 59c? What's the lower transaction limit?
 
Mine doesn't work on GoG either. Tried their support but it was pathetic so gave up
 
Another payment on GoG that failed. I removed the card and added it again and it worked. So dunno, maybe GoG cocked up somewhere.
 
Another payment on GoG that failed. I removed the card and added it again and it worked. So dunno, maybe GoG cocked up somewhere.

Hopefully just a temporary issue. I've bought loads on GOG without issue. It's my favourite gaming store, so Capitec issues would suck.
 
Hopefully just a temporary issue. I've bought loads on GOG without issue. It's my favourite gaming store, so Capitec issues would suck.
It was most probably an issue with GoG storing the details incorrectly. Or they got some kind of token to use and messed it up. In either case re-adding it made it work.
 
https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/companies-and-deals/capitec-shows-how-simple-bank-fees-should-be/

After its blowout success forced them to launch copycat products, Capitec has now further simplified its pricing which will place more pressure on its Big Four full-service rivals. The fee structure has been flattened to effectively five prices. The majority of in-branch transactions are now R5, from a mix of anything from R4 to R4.75 in 2016. There is little consistency in pricing at Absa, FNB, Nedbank or Standard Bank, with each having easily a dozen different prices, depending on the transaction.
 

then you were not doing it right and/or clueless and were more than likely subsidising me - thank you :-)

I'd rather take a much simpler fee structure and low bank fees then having to jump through hoops to earn ebucks that I can spend at stores that chop and change every month. No thanks.

Bare minimum to earn back your bank charges is:
Keep 5k in a savings (other rules to get to level 5 on gold is pretty standard behaviour), and spend at least 1k between Checkers and fuel (any combo), and any further spending is a bonus.

But, hey, might not be so easy to understand for everyone ;).
 
Bare minimum to earn back your bank charges is:
Keep 5k in a savings (other rules to get to level 5 on gold is pretty standard behaviour), and spend at least 1k between Checkers and fuel (any combo), and any further spending is a bonus.

But, hey, might not be so easy to understand for everyone ;).
Oh really? So it's standard for every person to spend R150 pm on FNB connect.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X