Sous Vide immersion circulator

Randhir

Honorary Master
Cool. Well I'm all for trying and testing.

I have only ever seen post sear and I agree with Sauron that I would only sear once.

The other thing is that after your sear there will be bleeding, you will lose a lot of moisture into the bag. i'm not sure if that is desired or not but in my mind you will get a grey messy soup round your steak.
The problem with this method is always going to be that it creates a moist environment which inhibits dry surfaces needed for proper deep searing. You can of course use method to help with post-cooking searing, but you're going to have to do it whether you utilise a pre-sear or not. As the Chefsteps video shows, a pre-sear actually helps with getting that post-cook deep sear.

I've tried it, and would say I agree with them.

Inevitability

Expert Member
have you all been using vacuum sealers and vacuum bags?
I used the water displacement but I think I wasn't doing it right.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This is the bit I want to know as well...

Redoing my kitchen, and when thats done I want to get a sous vide machine and would like to know if the vacuum sealer part is necessary as well to get the best results.

Randhir

Honorary Master
Absolutely love it! Family loves it. When I make chicken thighs sous vide, my daughter almost eats her fingers off.
Good to know :)

This is the bit I want to know as well...

Redoing my kitchen, and when thats done I want to get a sous vide machine and would like to know if the vacuum sealer part is necessary as well to get the best results.
I used water displacement and ziplocks before getting a sealer. It works well but it's a bit of a pain. Plus it's not always easy to find Ziplocks that fit larger, weird size cuts of meat.

stroller

We use an electric urn which has a thermostat. Set temperature at 60.

Urns are cheap. R949 at Yuppiechef

Quad

I have the Severin vacuum sealer which is the bomb. It works brilliantly and I would highly recommend investing in one. Really good for the freezer as well.

datadyn

Anova Wi-Fi - Pork chops 45 minutes at 60C for perfect juicy chops and 24 hours for a shank that you pull apart with 2 forks. Hamburger patties done to perfection. Food straight from the freezer? Just add 30 minutes and then some crème brulee to finish off the meal. Go to the playstore and download either the Anova or the Joule app and then you can get an idea of the possibilities. Lot of restaurants have steaks floating in a circulator set for rare and when you come and order they take the steak out and put it in second circulator set for the temperature of your desired steak, then a quick sear when it is done and you have perfect steak.

Attachments

datadyn

Be careful with fitting the units to cooler boxes or covering it with foil or cling wrap for long cooks - at high temps you get condensation on the pc board. The correct way is using 20 mm plastic balls to cut evaporation which will be my next purchase from the UK if I cant find something similar local

Randhir

Honorary Master
Lot of restaurants have steaks floating in a circulator set for rare and when you come and order they take the steak out and put it in second circulator set for the temperature of your desired steak, then a quick sear when it is done and you have perfect steak.
I doubt it. Sounds like a good way to end up with a mushy steak.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
When you start adding people into the delivery chain it becomes overly expensive. I could for example use aramex to forward it as well but shipping becomes silly and makes it not worth it. (unless Scott ends up being very affordable). Black Friday specials last year were excellent but the shipping issue killed it.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I see it's around $160 when ordered from Amazon. You'd want the one 220V version though.
Not super expensive but not particularly cheap either.