Sous Vide immersion circulator

Inevitability

Expert Member
I'm interested, any info relating would be great, even if you followed a tut online. Damn sous vide machine will cost me R3500 with import fees, pricey for something I'm still a bit unsure of. At the moment I'm testing my slow cooker with a particular amount of water, on low setting I can get 56 degrees. I'm going to give it a go today.
did it work ?
other option is to make one
I built one about a year ago
Cost me roughly R500 in parts (all from BangGood, an online store in China)
Parts needed:
- EliTech E-1000 (nicer looking STC-1000)
- small fountain water pump
- heating element (but don't buy this one ... it's overpowered and will cause temp overshoot, rather go with maybe a 200W model)
If you know how to wire a 3-pin plug, you'll find it easy enough to assemble.
I used it twice so far (yes, I know ... I'm an embarrassment!) and both times I had fair results, only because I was using the wrong meat, the wrong temp and the wrong cooking time. So it's only my own fault. I have full confidence that it will work fine if you don't make the mistakes I did.
I'm gonna take another swing at it when I'm on holiday next week and try to cook some steaks... but this time I'm not gonna be a cheapskate and I'm gonna buy a decent cut of meat :D

Last edited:

Noseworthy

Expert Member
I built one about a year ago
Cost me roughly R500 in parts (all from BangGood, an online store in China)
Parts needed:
- EliTech E-1000 (nicer looking STC-1000)
- small fountain water pump
- heating element (but don't buy this one ... it's overpowered and will cause temp overshoot, rather go with maybe a 200W model)
If you know how to wire a 3-pin plug, you'll find it easy enough to assemble.
I used it twice so far (yes, I know ... I'm an embarrassment!) and both times I had fair results, only because I was using the wrong meat, the wrong temp and the wrong cooking time. So it's only my own fault. I have full confidence that it will work fine if you don't make the mistakes I did.
I'm gonna take another swing at it when I'm on holiday next week and try to cook some steaks... but this time I'm not gonna be a cheapskate and I'm gonna buy a decent cut of meat :D
Pics or it didn't happen

Megaton

I also built my own one, well, still busy building it :)

Using a wifi-enabled microcontroller (ESP8266), with a temperature probe and solid state relay to control a rice cooker.

I'll post the software once I've cleaned it up a bit, for now it's just hacked together for basic functionality (uses a PID loop to controller temperature which requires more tuning).

Using wifi to report the temperature means you can get fancy graphs!

UsQeynJ.jpg

Last edited:

datadyn

I also built one from a pump, heater and temperature controller and it worked OK but this year decided to get an Anova when my wife visited the children in the UK and I have since come to the conclusion that you only need 3 things in the kitchen - a pizza stone, a cast iron skillet or two and the Anova. Just don't use it to make carrots - the carrots have an intense carroty flavour! Fish turned out so so but chuck in some meat in a ziplock bag and it is a different ball game altogether and for the times that you can spare some beer, add it to a ziplock with some italian sausage, a dollop of mustard and some extra sliced garlic and go sit under a shady tree for 45 minutes, perfectly cooked & juicy.
The bluetooth control is very simple to use, just make sure you leave your phone somewhere in the kitchen. Ribeye steak come out juicy and tender and then 30 seconds per side in a red hot skillet to finish a perfect dish. And of course you can also use it for perfect chocolate cream puddings using consol jars

Randhir

Honorary Master
saw this at checkers

has a sous vide function

anyone use this ?
It will probably work very well for shorter cooks like steak/chicken/fish etc. I wouldn't trust it for longer cooks until I've tested it out though.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I posted that in the other thread some time ago.

Think it was R699 or R899.

Essentially a slow cooker with a thermometer in.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It will probably work very well for shorter cooks like steak/chicken/fish etc. I wouldn't trust it for longer cooks until I've tested it out though.
It seems like a perfect clone of the Severin.

And these things really aren't that complex so if it works one really has to wonder how Severin can justify their ridiculous price for it.

It will beat DIY for damn sure.

Nefertiti

Honorary Master
hmmm... maybe I should give it a try, im in the market for a slow cooker too and discount with ebucks.. cant go too wrong :p

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
it must have a guarantee so if it fails you get money back

longer cooks as in prime rib ? how long do they take

Randhir

Honorary Master
it must have a guarantee so if it fails you get money back

longer cooks as in prime rib ? how long do they take
Prime rib is a tender cut, so you'd just need it to come up to the desired temp. You'd need longer times for short rib/chuck/brisket etc.