Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results

I suspect then that although I have 5 bar full strength that my antenna might not be facing the tower directly. Probably partly in direction only or trees in the way.
Maybe I must get a pole and direct antenna until best stats. But eish will think about it.

Well it could actually be the actual tower bandwidth too that is not good. I don't even have full bars LTE.... I only got 4 bars but get epic speeds. I think if your stats look good then it is most likely the Tower or tower backhaul that is the speed bottleneck.
 
Ok

Edit - dont have fibre in neighbourhood yet next suburb they have fibre.
Maybe must point my antenna at the next neighbourhood one but probably more than a km away.
 
Last edited:
1km isn't an issue. I'm 1.6km away from my base station (though there is a nice valley and clear LOS).
 
What is the point of getting great speeds during the day and in the evening when the family sit down to watch tv it drops to speeds lower than what I used to get with my adsl line? From 19:00 until around 22:00 every single night.








Had a technician at my house twice and each time was told that they will escalate the problem and it will improve in a week. Just more lies. Not only are we close to the tower but we can actually see it from our house!
 
What is the point of getting great speeds during the day and in the evening when the family sit down to watch tv it drops to speeds lower than what I used to get with my adsl line? From 19:00 until around 22:00 every single night.








Had a technician at my house twice and each time was told that they will escalate the problem and it will improve in a week. Just more lies. Not only are we close to the tower but we can actually see it from our house!

Which area are you?

Try sending Jacqui O Sullivan a message on twitter.
 
Which area are you?

Try sending Jacqui O Sullivan a message on twitter.
Thanks, any help is much appreciated! I am in the Kempton Park area close to town. Can I reach Jacqui through telkom twitter? I am getting between 40 and 60 during the day which helps nothing because I am sitting at work.
 
Got a call from Telkom this week regarding the calls I logged wrt the slow peak time speeds. I haven't really had any issues over the past few weeks. The lady that called me said that they have upgraded the tower in my area. It was a courtesy call to see if everything was fine, which it was. Anyone else see any improvements in their area ?
 
Last Result:
Download Speed: 16064 kbps (2008 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 7663 kbps (957.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 50 ms
Jitter: 11 ms
2016/08/21, 10:38:53 PM

RSRP: -66
SINR: 24

When they installed the booster 1 months back I got around 62MB/s now I get under 20MB/s.
Should I not be getting better???
 
Last Result:
Download Speed: 16064 kbps (2008 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 7663 kbps (957.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 50 ms
Jitter: 11 ms
2016/08/21, 10:38:53 PM

RSRP: -66
SINR: 24

When they installed the booster 1 months back I got around 62MB/s now I get under 20MB/s.
Should I not be getting better???

Did you Cell id change? Did you force your router to 2300MHz frequency. It could be that your router unknowingly to you switched to the 1800MHz frequency which has limited spectrum so limited speed.

You can use the toolbox to force it to 2300MHz and see if that increases your speed.
 
Did you Cell id change? Did you force your router to 2300MHz frequency. It could be that your router unknowingly to you switched to the 1800MHz frequency which has limited spectrum so limited speed.

You can use the toolbox to force it to 2300MHz and see if that increases your speed.

This results is on 2300MHZ

I 62Mb/s before I even knew how to switch bands.

@ 2300MHZ
Download Speed: 11068 kbps (1383.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3842 kbps (480.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 40 ms
Jitter: 6 ms
2016/08/23, 7:43:25 AM

@ 1800MHZ
Download Speed: 13681 kbps (1710.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 9391 kbps (1173.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 40 ms
Jitter: 2 ms
2016/08/23, 7:45:45 AM
 
2

Edit : How is my upload speed insanely good but download absolutely useless?

Because upload and download use separate timeslots with TDD-LTE. If the upload is not being used, you get full speed upload, but still share the download timeslots with everyone else.
 
Download Speed: 14039 kbps (1754.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 6251 kbps (781.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 49 ms
Jitter: 10 ms
2016/08/24, 7:18:09 PM
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X