Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results

Annnnnd back to being completely useless.

1723570413.png
 
Highest I get. I seldom see it go any higher than this. Pretty damn fast and a cheap R599 per month. :D

5514283335.png
 
my speeds went from the mid 30s to about 1.5 at night i have to wait for my pictures to load, is there any place we can complain?
 
I've been on LTE close to 3 years now, give or take. Since the early trial days. The titan base station serving Helderkruin/Wilropark has been broken for well over a year.

During the trial my highest ever speed was 73Mbps. As the tower lit up with more LTE users, and more phones supported LTE as standard, speeds trailed off to 50 then 40Mbps. I was even happy at 30Mbps. Then the downward spiral into the abyss. 10Mbps if I was lucky, often no more than 2Mbps.

Tonight I noticed my gateway device logging big speeds. Low and behold a few speed tests indicated something huge has happened. The big speeds are back!

24a52792644f4a006afc993aded33aca.png


I'm seeing well over 70Mbps and solid 18ms pings (graph above indicates international pings). This is with an "old" B593 and internal antennas. This is a speed test from just now...I couldn't be happier as I'd pretty much given up hope.

1722855844.png


Dreams do come true. Backhauls do get upgraded! At this rate I will be renewing my LTE fixed wireless contract. I was counting the days till it came to an end!

Bless you, Telkom. I no longer want to burn your house down.

Edit: a new record was logged at 11pm...84Mbps!

House of cards, bro.

1727680030.png


My average speeds throughout the day are even slower.
 
I'd be interested to see how LTE was if they blocked all p2p. All of it. 10-to-1 we all enjoy good speeds, all of the time.
 
An epic improvement this evening...

1728953319.png


Upload speed is only half what it should be but I'll take this as a win.
 
According to my download throughput logs, things have definitely improved today - in very stark contrast to yesterday. It was like a switch was turned on from about 3am when download throughput tripled from 3Mbps to 12Mbps.

Things putted along at 8Mbps from 8am till about noon. At 1pm, download throughput almost tripled again to 20Mbps. Things eased off again until after 4pm. At 5pm, more furnaces were fired up and speeds more than doubled from 20Mbps seen at 1pm, to 46Mbps. Things were starting to get interesting!


At 6pm, speeds halved to 22Mbps but then tripled to 61Mbps at 7pm! As can be seen on the graphs below, international latency improved throughput the day.

I really wish there was a Telkom rep on the forums still to explain what is afoot here. Has there been a major capacity upgrade with various tests being run over a few weeks? I really do hope this becomes more "permanent"...

ddMEyn7.png


Unfortunately when I tried to run a quick Speed Test to confirm the upward trend above, I was left hanging with this less-than-delightful result. :(

5523129565.png
 
Last edited:
According to my download throughput logs, things have definitely improved today - in very stark contrast to yesterday. It was like a switch was turned on from about 3am when download throughput tripled from 3Mbps to 12Mbps.

Things putted along between 8Mbps at 8am till about noon. At 1pm, download throughput almost tripled again to 20Mbps. Things eased off again until after 4pm. At 5pm, more furnaces were fired up and speeds more than doubled from 20Mbps seen at 1pm, to 46Mbps. Things were starting to get interesting!


At 6pm, speeds halved to 22Mbps but then tripled to 61Mbps at 7pm! As can be seen from the graphs, international latency improved throughput the day.

I really wish there was a Telkom rep on the forums still to explain what is afoot here. Has there been a major capacity upgrade with various tests being run over a few weeks? I really do hope this becomes more "permanent"...

ddMEyn7.png

Hey,
What are you using to monitor the performance?
It's interesting to note that on the Telkom Coverage Map LTE Advanced is becoming more readily available (well in my area at least). I'm averaging 90 - 99 mb/s most of the time but during peak it drops to around 65 mb/s which I can live with, with a constant ping of about 25ms and upload of 9 mb/s so not sure if that has anything to do with my performance despite this being an LTE and not LTE Advanced deal.
 
@marlin178 I'm using the awesome UniFi Security Gateway from Ubiquiti for all my monitoring and logging.

Your speeds are amazing - being limited only by the Fast Ethernet LAN ports on the Huawei LTE routers. Do keep us updated in terms of performance day in and day out?

@Airwolf...nice one (I wonder what's up with the ping...).
 
Last edited:
@marlin178 I'm using the awesome UniFi Security Gateway from Ubiquiti for all my monitoring and logging.

Your speeds are amazing - being limited only by the Fast Ethernet LAN ports on the Huawei LTE routers. Do keep us updated in terms of performance day in and day out?

@Airwolf...nice one (I wonder what's up with the ping...).

No need to convince me on the performance of their devices- hooked my B315 up to a UniFi AP AC Lite- best money I've spent in a long time.

Best performance to date over wifi:
IMG_5866.PNG
Waiting till everyone is away in Dec- hoping to break the 100mb/s mark :D
Avg (Sorry about the size):
IMG_5795.PNG
 
That's just nuts.

You won't be able to exceed 100Mbps despite the CAT4 LTE rating (which is up to 150Mbps). The bottleneck now becomes the Ethernet ports on the B315 which are not Gigabit.

This is why my "top speed" in my signature is a bit bogus.

Edit: So the B315 has Gigabit ports. :D
 
Last edited:
@marlin178 I'm using the awesome UniFi Security Gateway from Ubiquiti for all my monitoring and logging.

Your speeds are amazing - being limited only by the Fast Ethernet LAN ports on the Huawei LTE routers. Do keep us updated in terms of performance day in and day out?

@Airwolf...nice one (I wonder what's up with the ping...).

Get high pings here in the peak times.
 
That's just nuts. <br />
<br />
You won't be able to exceed 100Mbps despite the CAT4 LTE rating (which is up to 150Mbps). The bottleneck now becomes the Ethernet ports on the B315 which are not Gigabit.<br />
<br />
This is why my &quot;top speed&quot; in my signature is a bit bogus.<br />
<br />
Edit: So the B315 has Gigabit ports. :D


Yes but some posters indicated the port is limited. Fake gigabit is how it was described iirc
 
Last edited:
That's just nuts.

You won't be able to exceed 100Mbps despite the CAT4 LTE rating (which is up to 150Mbps). The bottleneck now becomes the Ethernet ports on the B315 which are not Gigabit.

This is why my "top speed" in my signature is a bit bogus.

Edit: So the B315 has Gigabit ports. :D

How'd you hit 113Mbps as per your signature? LTE A?
 
Seems to be an aggregated speed reported by my security gateway. With the B593 one cannot get faster than 100Mbps.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X