Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results

Done this morning during the hail storm in Jozi:

IMG_5791.PNG

Seems like weather doesn't really have an effect.
 
Done this morning during the hail storm in Jozi:

View attachment 377754

Seems like weather doesn't really have an effect.

Brilliant. I think weather does affect it, though. There were days, during bad weather, where the signal on my router would go from 5 to 2 bars (even 1 and drop altogether sometimes) and I'd get a max DL of about 15mbps. When things cleared up, speeds were back to normal. I'm actually a bit stumped as to how it's working so well with the mental weather we're currently experiencing down here. Not complaining, but I will keep monitoring to see if anything changes.
 
Done this morning during the hail storm in Jozi:

View attachment 377754

Seems like weather doesn't really have an effect.

Problem isn't in the mornings...it's at night. From around 19:00 to about 23:00, sometimes later than that.

Telkom just called me and will be sending a tech out to test the connectivity in the MORNING even though I said it's a problem at night.
 
Problem isn't in the mornings...it's at night. From around 19:00 to about 23:00, sometimes later than that.

Telkom just called me and will be sending a tech out to test the connectivity in the MORNING even though I said it's a problem at night.

The tech can most definitely come out at night. I had a tech call me to confirm a time of 7.30pm on a Monday when I reported the same problem. He never arrived, but the past week or so has been good during that time.
 
The tech can most definitely come out at night. I had a tech call me to confirm a time of 7.30pm on a Monday when I reported the same problem. He never arrived, but the past week or so has been good during that time.

Will discuss it with him tomorrow. Easier than speaking to a ticket logger at the call centre.
 
Pretoria old east

Speedtests below 5mbps and FB videos buffering but youtube and netflix fine.
 
Lightning, thunder and a torrential downpour right now. I should add, that I've had 2 disconnects in the last 30mins where the signal was lost and got a red light on the router. Came right after 2 reboots. First time, it went to 2 bars and dropped signal again. Second time, it's been stable at 5 bars.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5505229622.png
 
Disconnected Poynting antenna and connected the bunny ears. Speed improved and signal up to 3 bars. I had this happen a couple of months ago during bad weather as well. Kept dropping connection with the external antenna. Got a stable connection with the bunny ears only. Not sure why, though.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5505534397.png
 
Telkom was just here. Took some details, checked signal etc and said they will monitor at night from the tower and escalate where needed.

Speed now:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5506848277

But as stated many times already, it's always fine during the day.

Yeah, I have had 2 technicians coming to my house. Nothing came from that, Hopefully you have more luck tan me.
But besides that, 23mbps is not really fine. We used to get between 40 and 60mbps. Mine is down to +- 10mbps during day now, 2 weeks back i still got 20mbps in day time.
 
I've been on LTE close to 3 years now, give or take. Since the early trial days. The titan base station serving Helderkruin/Wilropark has been broken for well over a year.

During the trial my highest ever speed was 73Mbps. As the tower lit up with more LTE users, and more phones supported LTE as standard, speeds trailed off to 50 then 40Mbps. I was even happy at 30Mbps. Then the downward spiral into the abyss. 10Mbps if I was lucky, often no more than 2Mbps.

Tonight I noticed my gateway device logging big speeds. Low and behold a few speed tests indicated something huge has happened. The big speeds are back!

24a52792644f4a006afc993aded33aca.png


I'm seeing well over 70Mbps and solid 18ms pings (graph above indicates international pings). This is with an "old" B593 and internal antennas. This is a speed test from just now...I couldn't be happier as I'd pretty much given up hope.

1722855844.png


Dreams do come true. Backhauls do get upgraded! At this rate I will be renewing my LTE fixed wireless contract. I was counting the days till it came to an end!

Bless you, Telkom. I no longer want to burn your house down.

Edit: a new record was logged at 11pm...84Mbps!
 
Last edited:
At 2am my gateway device logged a supersonic 113Mbps. I have no words.

Edit: Someone validly pointed out that the B593 only has 100Mbps Fast Ethernet; there may be a bit of aggregation being done on my gateway device...
 
Last edited:
I can confirm that since last week, the peak hour speed issues have not come up for me. More or less full speed between the usually affected times between 6pm and 10pm. I do go from around 70+ mbps to around 55-60, but I'm not complaining about that. Pings are also fairly stable. Will keep monitoring.
 
This morning before work I did a Speed Test to see if my results were once-off and I got 57Mbps...no complaints there.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X