• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Telkom Mobile LTE Speedtest Results

Napalm

Expert Member
I wonder what do the ISP's do.... they rollout LTE and LTE-A in different areas right.

Obviously if you have quite a few LTE users connecting to the same tower. Quite a few devices support LTE and LTE-A nowadays. (ranging from tablets to Laptops, Cellphones and obviously the Mifi devices and LTE Routers). Say 50-80 users connecting to one Tower (which is not a bad amount of users, a typical tower can probably do 300 to 400).

How do the ISP's calculate when to Upgrade the towers fibre or double up their capacity. Back in the day when you only had 3G and HSDPA it was a fairly easy task. Devices only consuming maybe a meg or 3, some might have pushed a 8mbit to 15mbit etc.

Now you have devices that when streaming 1080p video or even 4K video (or just plain burst speed uploads of WhatsApp pictures , videos and joke clips). LTE will have a much higher speed to contend with.

Wonder how and if they calculate that if their capacity reaches 70-80% (between 7pm and 6am, the time when everyone is normally home to download or surf or work on their stuff). Do they up it... or just wait until there's 300 complaints and the tower hits 90% for 95% of the time between 7pm and 6am)

SharkBait

Executive Member
I wonder what do the ISP's do.... they rollout LTE and LTE-A in different areas right.

Obviously if you have quite a few LTE users connecting to the same tower. Quite a few devices support LTE and LTE-A nowadays. (ranging from tablets to Laptops, Cellphones and obviously the Mifi devices and LTE Routers). Say 50-80 users connecting to one Tower (which is not a bad amount of users, a typical tower can probably do 300 to 400).

How do the ISP's calculate when to Upgrade the towers fibre or double up their capacity. Back in the day when you only had 3G and HSDPA it was a fairly easy task. Devices only consuming maybe a meg or 3, some might have pushed a 8mbit to 15mbit etc.

Now you have devices that when streaming 1080p video or even 4K video (or just plain burst speed uploads of WhatsApp pictures , videos and joke clips). LTE will have a much higher speed to contend with.

Wonder how and if they calculate that if their capacity reaches 70-80% (between 7pm and 6am, the time when everyone is normally home to download or surf or work on their stuff). Do they up it... or just wait until there's 300 complaints and the tower hits 90% for 95% of the time between 7pm and 6am)
Copy and paste to all the mobile network providers, I C.

I heard that at least one of the mobile operators are over subscribing their tower by as many as 70%... Money is more important than happy customers.

Napalm

Expert Member
I'm guessing different Operators might have a different calculation (i'm guessing it depends on their users and actual usage in the specific area)

Would be nice if we could get actual feedback from the ISP or representative (if they allowed to share such info)

Sgt.Romeo9

If anyone can assist me with my speed I'd very much appreciate it

Hi all

So first things first since this is a speed results thread, here is mine:

I've had this uncapped LTE deal from Telkom now for about 9 months. I have been contacting them now, going 6 months with regard to an antenna with no joy.
I'm at the end of my rope I don't know what to say to these people anymore or what to do anymore. I've been "escalated" over a dozen times by now. I've spoken to different people in different Telkom stores, spanning CITIES to try and get my speed issues resolved, they will just not assist me.

Friends of mine who are the reason why I got this deal same as them have all been given antennas with little to no hassles, I am the only person I know of who is having this issue. All I know is this speed is unacceptable, at the start of the week I got 1.3mbps, speedtest didn't even want to finish the test. I'm located in PE, roughly 8 blocks away from one tower and 6 blocks away from another.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks for any assistance.

Take Care

Last edited:

Gatekeeper

sorry to say the antennae wont help the towers are too congested you might get maybe up to 8mb im like 250 meters from my tower and stuck on 10mb since last year icasa cant help they will just give you the choice to cancel without penaulty. sorry mate for being the bringer of bad news with Telkom LTE ive given up. Please post you area might help other users.

jsheed_sa

Expert Member
Phone on Telkom LTE:

UP / DOWN
8.11 Mbps / 17.47 Mbps

------------------------------

Hauwei B315s-936 on TELKUNCAPPED LTE deal:

UP / DOWN
3.06 Mbps / 2.04 Mbps

What gives? I've told the LTE router to only connect to 2300mhz as well...

NOTE: This is in the same house. My guess is a mix of congestions / throttling?

under_sky

Phone on Telkom LTE:

UP / DOWN
8.11 Mbps / 17.47 Mbps

Hauwei B315s-936 on TELKUNCAPPED LTE deal:

UP / DOWN
3.06 Mbps / 2.04 Mbps

What gives? I've told the LTE router to only connect to 2300mhz as well...

NOTE: This is in the same house. My guess is a mix of congestions / throttling?
Congestion was giving me a hard time on friday night. only got speeds of about 4mbps down etc.
my speeds right now are pretty decent, although i think early in the mornings people are streaming etc.

35mbps down/7.7mbps up

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Screenshot_20170915-072720.jpg

Getting great speeds but there seems to be some sort of DNS issue where some sites are slow or don't load including this site...