The 2013-13 Premier Soccer League thread

cr@zydude

Executive Member
The new season is about to get started, so it's time for a new thread. For those who don't know the PSL season should be* made up of the 16 team league, a top 8 cup, a 16 team league cup, and a 32 team national cup.

The 16 teams making up the PSL this season are:

Ajax Cape Town
Amazulu
Black Leopards
Bloemfontein Celtic
Chippa United
Free State Stars
Golden Arrows
Kaizer Chiefs
Mamelodi Sundowns
Maritzburg United
Moroka Swallows
Orlando Pirates
Platinum Stars
Supersport United
University of Pretoria
Wits University

The season starts this friday, with the MTN 8 quarter finals. These matches are played as single legs:

Friday
Orlando Pirates vs Bloemfontein Celtic Orlando Stadium

Saturday
Supersport United vs Free State Stars Peter Mokaba Stadium

Sunday
Mamelodi Sundowns vs Kaizer Chiefs Loftus Versveld
Moroka Swallows vs Amazulu Dobsonville Stadium

*Note, as things stand only the MTN 8 sponsorship has been secured. The PSL league, National Cup and League Cup currently have no sponsors. The league is set to start next week Friday, but the cups could be under threat.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
No sponsors ? Why am I not surprised. Now that the SWC has come and gone the SA corporate aren't as eager to get themselves involved with soccer. This might be an opportunity for the likes of FNB, Coca Cola, SAB etc to get involved again. They were the ones that propped SA soccer through the dark days.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
No sponsors ? Why am I not surprised. Now that the SWC has come and gone the SA corporate aren't as eager to get themselves involved with soccer. This might be an opportunity for the likes of FNB, Coca Cola, SAB etc to get involved again. They were the ones that propped SA soccer through the dark days.
While I love the PSL, it's not like the league has covered itself in glory. I also think that it's exceptionally stupid that the PSL had all of it's sponsorships end so close together. Telkom ended in December 2011, Nedbank in June, and ABSA and MTN ended yesterday.

The PSL also wants to switch back to a February to November schedule from 2014, not sure if that's an issue at all.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
While I love the PSL, it's not like the league has covered itself in glory. I also think that it's exceptionally stupid that the PSL had all of it's sponsorships end so close together. Telkom ended in December 2011, Nedbank in June, and ABSA and MTN ended yesterday.

The PSL also wants to switch back to a February to November schedule from 2014, not sure if that's an issue at all.
What do they have planned for May 2013 to February 2014? That's 10 months of no league action. I can see why this could be a problem for a league sponsor like ABSA.

Fuma

Executive Member
I should watch the Sadunusa vs Chips at Loftus. Need to go get myself some tickets.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
I should watch the Sadunusa vs Chips at Loftus. Need to go get myself some tickets.
I'm a Sundowns fan but I won't bother going to the stadium. My team has not beaten a big team for a long time now and that is not about to change this Sunday.

R13...

Honorary Master
So the league has no sponsor while Chiefs and Pirates sit there counting the R1bn from Vodacom. Vodacom must end their sponsorship with those two and rather sign with the league. It would even be R1bn over 5 years probably less than half that.

I support Chiefs but would rather league a strong overall league. Not that the money is helping anyway, they're still as lethargic as ever.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
To be fair though plus or minus 90% of the soccer loving people either support Chiefs or Pirates and the other 10% support Sundowns or Bloem Celtic. This leaves nothing for the rest of the other 12 teams. I have never personally met a Supersport United, Platinum Stars, Wits, or Golden Arrows fan for example. The rest of the teams in the PSL can only get supported as second choices.
The sponsors know this and would therefore rather put their money where they are guaranteed ROI.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Yeah, if Chiefs and Pirates didn't waste so much money on buying lots of junk players and firing coaches, SA would be like Scotland.

akescpt

Honorary Master
maybe sponsors don't want to get involved because the league has trouble accounting for it. the wrong people are administrators. i would be happy to spend sponsor money on grassroots soccer. i hate the fact that after so many years the kids still have to play along a national road...

JungleBoy

Executive Member
Does the PSL have a CEO yet? Who is currently running the administration ? It's a week before the league starts and there are no fixtures, no sponsors...that is just pathetic. They can learn a thing or two from the organisation/administration of SA Rugby.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Does the PSL have a CEO yet? Who is currently running the administration ? It's a week before the league starts and there are no fixtures, no sponsors...that is just pathetic. They can learn a thing or two from the organisation/administration of SA Rugby.
No permanent CEO yet, Cambridge Mokanyane is acting CEO. The PSL admin is a mess, but I wouldn't look at SA Rugby as a model. The Lions. franchise agreement between the Golden Lions, Pumas and Leopards apparently works on a handshake.

maybe sponsors don't want to get involved because the league has trouble accounting for it. the wrong people are administrators. i would be happy to spend sponsor money on grassroots soccer. i hate the fact that after so many years the kids still have to play along a national road...
I still wish we could get proper school and university leagues going. The SS Challenge and Kay Motsepe Cup are great, but we need them on larger scales, to get formal football into every school.

Last edited:

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Pirates beat Celtic 1-0 through a rather soft, late penalty last night.

R13...

Honorary Master
Nothing's changed at chiefs as useless as last season. Wonder if they too might owe a sangoma, they must go ask how swallows lifted their sangoma debt curse:D

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Hopeless showing by Chiefs. They lost 4-1 while Swallows won 2-0. Pirates, SSU, Sundowns and Swallows are through to the semis, which are contested over 2 legs.

Fuma

Executive Member
I would love to see Swallows lift this cup. They deserve something after last season's performance.