The 2019 Weight Loss Thread - Workout Check-in Thread

InvisibleJim

1557425232021.png

Decided it was time for (mostly) Kettlebell Thursday - jog and indian Clubs to warmup then 3 Sets Swings, one armed Swings, alternating Arm Swings, Sumo Squats, one legged deadlift (no KB,) Snatch and push-ups. Finished up with a chinup ladder and cool down jog.

Last edited:

abudabi

Expert Member
Juuuust squeezed in for 300 vitality points with this avg heart rate. Keeping the week strong with an exercise each night.
Screenshot_20190509-202319.jpg

dabean

Expert Member
I'm taking another day off today and having a beer.

My minimum heart rate hit 34 today which is the lowest it's ever been. It was around 75 when I started (in January 2018, I didn't log unfortunately).

I feel great though. My feet are a bit tender but it's borederline. Better safe than sorry.

I'll try to not overdo the beers, heh.

Attachments

abudabi

Expert Member
I'm taking another day off today and having a beer.

My minimum heart rate hit 34 today which is the lowest it's ever been. It was around 75 when I started (in January 2018, I didn't log unfortunately).

I feel great though. My feet are a bit tender but it's borederline. Better safe than sorry.

I'll try to not overdo the beers, heh.
Nicely done man... Feels great doesn't it. Real sense of accomplishment when all the sweat and tears add up and you get that aha moment.

Was bored in front of the telly so caught up on an Ab session. Day 23 done.

InvisibleJim

1557769593094.png
Legs day with more kettle bells: Warm up jog then 3 sets sumo Squats, step ups, front back lunges (KB in rack position - these are a killer!) planks, half bridges and calf raises. 10 kettlebell swings between each exercise. Couple of sprints and couple of sets of chinups (just to keep up with my pull exercises) to finish.

Snyper564

Expert Member
At the peak of my physical fitness for many years.... and man flu strikes me down just as I go on leave to the cape last week... SO no beautiful scenic runs/hikes... still recovering hopefully back to normal next week!

Gamer

Expert Member
At the peak of my physical fitness for many years.... and man flu strikes me down just as I go on leave to the cape last week... SO no beautiful scenic runs/hikes... still recovering hopefully back to normal next week!
That sucks, sorry, glad you're on the mend!

powermzii

Expert Member
Made it back today... Soon tagged as a walk but was 50/50... Enjoyed it. Also did some strength training. Wished myself too... 88kg so lots of work to do. No pain from ankle so I think we are back in business

abudabi

Expert Member
Routine has been messed up this week. Nothing on Monday. Nothing on Tuesday. Was about to be nothing on Wednesday.... Then I took a pause, switched off the shower, got dressed and came to do my Ab exercises.

Tomorrow WILL be gym again. Carry on boys and girls.... You got this.

powermzii

Expert Member
For those who been doing this for a while (the gym thing)... Do you follow a specific exercise program (specific muscle groups and exercise types) for each day OR do you just go with the flow?

Also for those ON discovery, how do you balance the 300pt requirement with alternating cardio and strength

InvisibleJim

For those who been doing this for a while (the gym thing)... Do you follow a specific exercise program (specific muscle groups and exercise types) for each day OR do you just go with the flow?

Also for those ON discovery, how do you balance the 300pt requirement with alternating cardio and strength
It varies a bit depending on life and short term priorities but I use Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint as a kind of template (with a bit more cardio because I run):

Lift heavy things (2 strength sessions per week)
Move slowly often - 2-3 hours per week (1/2hr walk per day or 2-3 hours hike/walk in one go is OK)
Sprint occasionally - sprint or HIIT workout every 10 -14 days
Play (this is the one I neglect most actually)

For strength I prefer bodyweight exercises over free weights because they work multiple muscle groups together (as opposed to isolating specific muscles) and I believe it is a bit less risky at my age than lifting heavy free weights with potentially bad form. Kettlebells are the main type of free weight that I enjoy and use regularly. I aim to keep my workouts +/- 500 Cals.

With respect to discovery points:
Park Run gets 300 points
2 x one hour workouts (on fitbit)= 300 points each (usually 35-40 minutes or so strength, then cardio then cooldown)
30 minute + jog/run will get 300 points on Tom Tom or Fitbit

Last edited: