The 2019 Weight Loss Thread - Workout Check-in Thread

powermzii

Expert Member
It varies a bit depending on life and short term priorities but I use Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint as a kind of template (with a bit more cardio because I run):

Lift heavy things (2 strength sessions per week)
Move slowly often - 2-3 hours per week (1/2hr walk per day or 2-3 hours hike/walk in one go is OK)
Sprint occasionally - sprint or HIIT workout every 10 -14 days
Play (this is the one I neglect most actually)

For strength I prefer bodyweight exercises over free weights because they work multiple muscle groups together (as opposed to isolating specific muscles) and I believe it is a bit less risky at my age than lifting heavy free weights with potentially bad form. Kettlebells are the main type of free weight that I enjoy and use regularly. I aim to keep my workouts +/- 500 Cals.

With respect to discovery points:
Park Run gets 300 points
2 x one hour workouts (on fitbit)= 600 points each (usually 35-40 minutes or so strength, then cardio then cooldown)
30 minute + jog/run will get 300 points on Tom Tom or Fitbit
Thanks for this. I've been mainly doing cardio so that I get the 300pts then I do 3 or 4 other weight based exercises at the gym in a session. Will try mix and match and see what works but i like the free weights idea as of mine too build your body and core strength (while losing weight)

InvisibleJim

Thanks for this. I've been mainly doing cardio so that I get the 300pts then I do 3 or 4 other weight based exercises at the gym in a session. Will try mix and match and see what works but i like the free weights idea as of mine too build your body and core strength (while losing weight)
Many people seem to put a strong emphasis on cardio when trying to lose weight. Arguably, strength training is more beneficial in this respect.

dabean

Expert Member
I've been resting this week because I was a bit worried about my low heart rate to be honest. Stories about cyclists having to wake up to work out at night started bothering me.

I can't find exactly how low they were getting but everyone seems to think it was EPO related. I don't even use creatine or protein powder or anything besides turmeric really so I should be safe there. I haven't had any symptoms like high/low blood pressure or feeling bad or anything. I still wanted to see what would happen if I quit cold-turkey (nothing apparently).

My dad was a Springbok cyclist so I think it's genetic. He died at age 83 from a heart attack. He refused bypass surgery for at least 10 years without telling us apparently, so my heart will probably be what gets me in the end but reaching 80 isn't too bad.

The other thing was trying to decide what I'm training for. I like the idea of running long distances (still on my bucket list). The stuff Jim's doing looks great for all around functional fitness while being strong and looking good.

The rope keeps calling me though. I really look forward to sessions while I'm driving home. There's still so much room for improvement and I love it so why not?

This will be the year of the jump-rope for me. Marathons and other stuff can start in 2020.

Attachments

abudabi

Expert Member
Was an exhausting session today.
IMG_20190523_193646.jpg
Trying to make up for last week :)
So that's 4 done this week so far... Ab / circuit / ab / circuit. Aiming for another Ab session tomorrow for a full house.

InvisibleJim

1558634587122.png
Bodyweight circuit: 3 sets tricep dips, squats, uneven pushups, assisted hamstring curls, half bridge variations and hanging knee raises. had a short jog to finish and take over the hour.